Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Dial-up password problem

Dial-up password problem

Jeremy

Win 2K pro network and dial-up settings, when I set the dial-up engine
to remember the password, at next boot-up and attempt at log-on the
password has changed to a much longer string of *s.

As I am relatively new to Win 2K and it has been a long time since I
wrestled with windoze settings, any guidance would be appreciated.

JJ

Roy@home.net

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 08:39:09 -0500, Jeremy <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Win 2K pro network and dial-up settings, when I set the dial-up engine
>to remember the password, at next boot-up and attempt at log-on the
>password has changed to a much longer string of *s.
>
>As I am relatively new to Win 2K and it has been a long time since I
>wrestled with windoze settings, any guidance would be appreciated.
>
>JJ

But does it still work?

I get this with XP Home. Seems to be just a visual thing, that is, my
password is still there. It just looks longer on the screen.

Another comment is that the system took "convincing" - It would
repeatedly tell me my name or password was wrong. Not sure if that was
due to dialer, netscape or ISP. In any case, after a few days of
having to reenter, it no longer questions my judgement when I log on.

Roy - Carpe Noctem

Thor

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 08:39:09 -0500, Jeremy <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >Win 2K pro network and dial-up settings, when I set the dial-up engine
> >to remember the password, at next boot-up and attempt at log-on the
> >password has changed to a much longer string of *s.
> >
> >As I am relatively new to Win 2K and it has been a long time since I
> >wrestled with windoze settings, any guidance would be appreciated.
> >
> >JJ

> But does it still work?
>
> I get this with XP Home. Seems to be just a visual thing, that is, my
> password is still there. It just looks longer on the screen.
>
> Another comment is that the system took "convincing" - It would
> repeatedly tell me my name or password was wrong. Not sure if that was
> due to dialer, netscape or ISP. In any case, after a few days of
> having to reenter, it no longer questions my judgement when I log on.

XP has an annoying habit of messing up the stored dialup password in certain
circumstances. Although the longer string of asterisks or dots is indeed
normal. It is meant to cover the true number of characters in the password,
making it harder to guess. That being said, the bug XP has sometimes, is
that you if set the password in your initial account creation, dialup, and
then subsequently enter the tools/internet options/ and apply some
non-related options change, it sometimes corrupts the stored password, and
you have to re-create the dialup account to fix it, or sometimes backspacing
the password out of the tools/options/connections/settings/ password box of
IE and re-enter the password, will fix it. Re-entering the password at the
normal dialup prompt usually does no good in this case, and the change won't
stick. I've seen this happen in XP numerous times. It's happened to me when
setting up internet access for customers. I created the dialup access
account using the normal XP account wizard, and succesfully dialed up. Then,
later I went into the internet options/connections and made some mundane
settings change like setting it to "always dial the default connection"
etc.. Then, trying to dial up a second time results in a password error.
Pain in the ass, but as I said, you typically just need to go into IE's
connection settings, and reset the password *there* in order to correct the
problem.

Jeremy

Thor wrote:

>onger questions my judgement when I log on.
>
> XP has an annoying habit of messing up the stored dialup password in certain
> circumstances. Although the longer string of asterisks or dots is indeed
> normal. It is meant to cover the true number of characters in the password,
> making it harder to guess. That being said, the bug XP has sometimes, is
> that you if set the password in your initial account creation, dialup, and
> then subsequently enter the tools/internet options/ and apply some
> non-related options change, it sometimes corrupts the stored password, and
> you have to re-create the dialup account to fix it, or sometimes backspacing
> the password out of the tools/options/connections/settings/ password box of
> IE and re-enter the password, will fix it. Re-entering the password at the
> normal dialup prompt usually does no good in this case, and the change won't
> stick. I've seen this happen in XP numerous times. It's happened to me when
> setting up internet access for customers. I created the dialup access
> account using the normal XP account wizard, and succesfully dialed up. Then,
> later I went into the internet options/connections and made some mundane
> settings change like setting it to "always dial the default connection"
> etc.. Then, trying to dial up a second time results in a password error.
> Pain in the ass, but as I said, you typically just need to go into IE's
> connection settings, and reset the password *there* in order to correct the
> problem.

I will have a go, but as I do not use the Muckysucks program for
browsing or mail, I cannot understand the why it should effect the
dial-up password screen. The whole thing reminds me of a passage from
the Hitchhiker's Guide about the Sirius Cybernetics Corp. for those with
a classical literary education

Thanks for the help.
Jeremy