Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > How to divide the bandwidth of my ADSL 512 between two computers?

How to divide the bandwidth of my ADSL 512 between two computers?

Peace2Peace

Hi

How to divide the bandwidth of my ADSL 512 between two computers?
I use a web excel router.One computer is connected through the ethernet
and the other through the usb.

Regards..
Jonathan

Miro

"Peace2Peace" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Hi
>
> How to divide the bandwidth of my ADSL 512 between two computers?
> I use a web excel router.One computer is connected through the ethernet
> and the other through the usb.

Why are they not both connected to a hardware router via ethernet ?

ADSL >>> ROUTER >>> HUB ----- PC 1
|------ PC 2

|<------------------------------>|

Can be bought as an all-in-one

Peace2Peace

Hi Miro

Because I don't have a hub and I am wondering if there is a software
that I can use to restrict the bandwidth on my computer or both.

So by using say 4 port hub or 10/100, how then can I divide it equally
between the two computers? I know local network is capable of 10/100 and
will be equally giving a 10/100 access.

However, I am not networking locally the two computer but need to split
the internet access bandwidth of 512kbps into more or less two.

Regards..
Jonathan

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 00:36:09 +1000
" Miro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Peace2Peace" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > How to divide the bandwidth of my ADSL 512 between two computers?
> > I use a web excel router.One computer is connected through the ethernet
> > and the other through the usb.
> >

> Why are they not both connected to a hardware router via ethernet ?
>
> ADSL >>> ROUTER >>> HUB ----- PC 1
> |------ PC 2
>
> |<------------------------------>|
>
> Can be bought as an all-in-one

Chet

Why would you want to restrict a computer to 1/2 the bandwidth during the
times when it is the only one accessing the 'net? If you let each computer
use as much as it wants you will find that there are not too many times that
one has to slow down for the other.
"Peace2Peace" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Miro
>
> Because I don't have a hub and I am wondering if there is a software
> that I can use to restrict the bandwidth on my computer or both.
>
> So by using say 4 port hub or 10/100, how then can I divide it equally
> between the two computers? I know local network is capable of 10/100 and
> will be equally giving a 10/100 access.
>
> However, I am not networking locally the two computer but need to split
> the internet access bandwidth of 512kbps into more or less two.
>

> Regards..
> Jonathan
>

> On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 00:36:09 +1000
> " Miro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > "Peace2Peace" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > >
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > How to divide the bandwidth of my ADSL 512 between two computers?
> > > I use a web excel router.One computer is connected through the

ethernet
> > > and the other through the usb.
> > >

> > Why are they not both connected to a hardware router via ethernet ?
> >
> > ADSL >>> ROUTER >>> HUB ----- PC 1
> > |------ PC 2
> >
> > |<------------------------------>|
> >
> > Can be bought as an all-in-one

[BnH]

Have a look @ NetLimiter.

=bob=

"Chet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Why would you want to restrict a computer to 1/2 the bandwidth during the
> times when it is the only one accessing the 'net? If you let each

computer
> use as much as it wants you will find that there are not too many times

that
> one has to slow down for the other.

---

Peace2Peace

Hi Chet

Actually I just need to limit one because when I do download on my I hog
all the bandwidth and my wife can't answer her travia questions quick
enough.. hehehe

Regards..
Jonathan

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 01:33:57 GMT
"Chet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Why would you want to restrict a computer to 1/2 the bandwidth during the
> times when it is the only one accessing the 'net? If you let each computer
> use as much as it wants you will find that there are not too many times that
> one has to slow down for the other.
> "Peace2Peace" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi Miro
> >
> > Because I don't have a hub and I am wondering if there is a software
> > that I can use to restrict the bandwidth on my computer or both.
> >
> > So by using say 4 port hub or 10/100, how then can I divide it equally
> > between the two computers? I know local network is capable of 10/100 and
> > will be equally giving a 10/100 access.
> >
> > However, I am not networking locally the two computer but need to split
> > the internet access bandwidth of 512kbps into more or less two.
> >

> > Regards..
> > Jonathan
> >

> > On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 00:36:09 +1000
> > " Miro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >

> > > "Peace2Peace" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> ethernet
> > > >
> > > Why are they not both connected to a hardware router via ethernet ?
> > >
> > > ADSL >>> ROUTER >>> HUB ----- PC 1
> > > |------ PC 2
> > >
> > > |<------------------------------>|
> > >
> > > Can be bought as an all-in-one

Peace2Peace

Hi [BnH]

I will. Thanks.

Regards..
Jonathan

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 02:12:03 GMT
"[BnH]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Have a look @ NetLimiter.
>
> =bob=
>
> "Chet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > Why would you want to restrict a computer to 1/2 the bandwidth during the
> > times when it is the only one accessing the 'net? If you let each

> computer
> > use as much as it wants you will find that there are not too many times

> that
> > one has to slow down for the other.
> >

> ---

Sandgroper

"Peace2Peace" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Miro
>
> Because I don't have a hub and I am wondering if there is a software
> that I can use to restrict the bandwidth on my computer or both.
>
> So by using say 4 port hub or 10/100, how then can I divide it equally
> between the two computers? I know local network is capable of 10/100

and
> will be equally giving a 10/100 access.
>
> However, I am not networking locally the two computer but need to

split
> the internet access bandwidth of 512kbps into more or less two.

Are you a whacko or something ? , maybe you are just too cheap to buy a
hub and router and want to download some freebie to just connect the 2
machines to ADSL

What you are suggesting is just outright stupid , all you need is a
router , hub and extra NIC and when the both machines are accessing the
net at the same time , the download/uploads are intermixed so that you
don't lose any bandwidth , in fact you wouldn't even notice the
difference between using 1 machine or 2 machines.

Maybe if you saved up some of your "night outs on the ****" money you
could afford to pay for a router , hub and NIC , they are not exactly
**that** expensive.

--

Sandgroper
-----------------------------------

Peace2Peace

It seem that using a hub doesn't solve the problem my friend.
I will be a whacko if I go buy something that isn't going to serve
my purpose.

Regards..
Jonathan

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 14:07:39 +0800
"Sandgroper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Peace2Peace" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi Miro
> >
> > Because I don't have a hub and I am wondering if there is a software
> > that I can use to restrict the bandwidth on my computer or both.
> >
> > So by using say 4 port hub or 10/100, how then can I divide it equally
> > between the two computers? I know local network is capable of 10/100

> and
> > will be equally giving a 10/100 access.
> >
> > However, I am not networking locally the two computer but need to

> split
> > the internet access bandwidth of 512kbps into more or less two.

> Are you a whacko or something ? , maybe you are just too cheap to buy a
> hub and router and want to download some freebie to just connect the 2
> machines to ADSL
>
> What you are suggesting is just outright stupid , all you need is a
> router , hub and extra NIC and when the both machines are accessing the
> net at the same time , the download/uploads are intermixed so that you
> don't lose any bandwidth , in fact you wouldn't even notice the
> difference between using 1 machine or 2 machines.
>
> Maybe if you saved up some of your "night outs on the ****" money you
> could afford to pay for a router , hub and NIC , they are not exactly
> **that** expensive.
>

> --
>
> Sandgroper
> -----------------------------------
> Remove KNICKERS to Email
> (E-Mail Removed)

DeMoN LaG

"Sandgroper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:3f94cc28$0
$23589$(E-Mail Removed):

> What you are suggesting is just outright stupid , all you need is a
> router , hub and extra NIC and when the both machines are accessing the
> net at the same time , the download/uploads are intermixed so that you
> don't lose any bandwidth , in fact you wouldn't even notice the
> difference between using 1 machine or 2 machines.

This is completely pulled out of your ass. My network looks similar to
this:

Linksys WAP11 (wireless access point)

Linksys router w/4 port switch --> out to cable connection

4 port switch

There is one wireless machine, and 5 desktops on this network. As I sit
here right now, there are only two machines accessing the internet. This
one, and one in the other room, used by my brother. He is logged into
Kazaa and is uploading to 4 people and downloading from 2 people. My
cable connection is around 350 KB (kilobytes) per second usually, with
low traffic times it bounces up to almost twice that (around 600 - 650
KB/sec, yes, hate me, I'm like one of 5 people in my town with cable
access). Despite having this fast of a connection right now, doing
/anything/ crawls online. That one machine with Kazaa running has
absolutely destroyed any resemblence of performance.

I assume this is also the case with the OP. He says he goes to download
stuff and it hogs the connection. Odds are the 512 ADSL is 512
kbits/sec, which is only 64 kilobytes per second. 3 or 4 downloads can
suck that up like nothing.

OP:
The best solution I can suggest for yourself is if you are using P2P
networks and they are killing your bandwith, use their options to limit
how much bandwith they can use. It is what I have had to do with
machines on my house, as one heavy sharing machine can take down my cable
connection.

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)