Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Listen To Broadcast Radio On PC?

Reply
Thread Tools

Listen To Broadcast Radio On PC?

 
 
Devil505
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-19-2003
Is there hardware or software that would enable me to listen to my local
radio stations over my PC?


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Thor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-19-2003
Simply check your local station's website (most stations seem to have one
these days) and see if they offer a broadcast stream. You will likely need
either RealOnePlayer, or windows media player to listen online. Otherwise,
there are AM/FM tuner cards that can be installed in your PC to turn it into
a nice radio set.



"Devil505" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:mOCkb.112975$(E-Mail Removed). net...
> Is there hardware or software that would enable me to listen to my local
> radio stations over my PC?
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Chet
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-20-2003

"Thor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Simply check your local station's website (most stations seem to have one
> these days) and see if they offer a broadcast stream. You will likely need
> either RealOnePlayer, or windows media player to listen online. Otherwise,
> there are AM/FM tuner cards that can be installed in your PC to turn it

into
> a nice radio set.

Like why pay $10.95 for a radio when you can build one for only $900!!!


 
Reply With Quote
 
DeMoN LaG
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-20-2003
"Chet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:Y6Gkb.825608$Ho3.227228
@sccrnsc03:

> Like why pay $10.95 for a radio when you can build one for only $900!!!
>


Amazingly enough, an FM tuner for your existing PC costs less than $30.
The software is usually much more feature packed than an $11 radio as well.

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
website: under construction
Need a technician in the south Jersey area?
email/IM for rates/services
 
Reply With Quote
 
Warren Barr
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-20-2003
can you record the live radio stream? I am putting way too much strain
on my Archos recording 5 hours a day of a certain talk radio show.

Thanks.

 
Reply With Quote
 
DeMoN LaG
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-20-2003
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Warren Barr) wrote in news:730-3F937574-32
@storefull-2236.public.lawson.webtv.net:

> can you record the live radio stream? I am putting way too much strain
> on my Archos recording 5 hours a day of a certain talk radio show.


Most software should be able to record the stream for you, but I would
double check the software included with the card.

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
website: under construction
Need a technician in the south Jersey area?
email/IM for rates/services
 
Reply With Quote
 
Night_Seer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-20-2003
DeMoN LaG wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) (Warren Barr) wrote in news:730-3F937574-32
> @storefull-2236.public.lawson.webtv.net:
>
>> can you record the live radio stream? I am putting way too much
>> strain on my Archos recording 5 hours a day of a certain talk radio
>> show.

>
> Most software should be able to record the stream for you, but I would
> double check the software included with the card.


The new Radeon AIW 9600 not only does TV, with tivo like features, but does
Radio as well (with Tivo like features, like pause the radio in realtime,
and record functions.)

--
Night_Seer


 
Reply With Quote
 
Tony
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-21-2003
(1) Where can I find one of these cards for less than $30? (somebody
metioned this in the message stream)
(2)Is there a way to use more than one video card at a time? I know
that it sounds like a dumb question, But I have an old video card that
has a TV tuner function, but I don't want to use it becasuse it cannot
handle my graphics intensive programs, such as video games, flight
sims, graphics developing, etc.
It would be nice if there was a way to use the old card, and my new
card, without having to switch them out all the time. (dangerous)

"Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> DeMoN LaG wrote:
> > (E-Mail Removed) (Warren Barr) wrote in news:730-3F937574-32
> > @storefull-2236.public.lawson.webtv.net:
> >
> >> can you record the live radio stream? I am putting way too much
> >> strain on my Archos recording 5 hours a day of a certain talk radio
> >> show.

> >
> > Most software should be able to record the stream for you, but I would
> > double check the software included with the card.

>
> The new Radeon AIW 9600 not only does TV, with tivo like features, but does
> Radio as well (with Tivo like features, like pause the radio in realtime,
> and record functions.)

 
Reply With Quote
 
Night_Seer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-21-2003
Tony wrote:
> (1) Where can I find one of these cards for less than $30? (somebody
> metioned this in the message stream)
> (2)Is there a way to use more than one video card at a time? I know
> that it sounds like a dumb question, But I have an old video card that
> has a TV tuner function, but I don't want to use it becasuse it cannot
> handle my graphics intensive programs, such as video games, flight
> sims, graphics developing, etc.
> It would be nice if there was a way to use the old card, and my new
> card, without having to switch them out all the time. (dangerous)
>
> "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in message
> news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
>> DeMoN LaG wrote:
>>> (E-Mail Removed) (Warren Barr) wrote in
>>> news:730-3F937574-32 @storefull-2236.public.lawson.webtv.net:
>>>
>>>> can you record the live radio stream? I am putting way too much
>>>> strain on my Archos recording 5 hours a day of a certain talk radio
>>>> show.
>>>
>>> Most software should be able to record the stream for you, but I
>>> would double check the software included with the card.

>>
>> The new Radeon AIW 9600 not only does TV, with tivo like features,
>> but does Radio as well (with Tivo like features, like pause the
>> radio in realtime, and record functions.)


You can actually do this, I had an old Voodoo 2000 lying around and
plugged it in, and it worked, it gave me dual monitor support. But I think
to have the Tv tuner part of it work you need to have two onitors plugged
in. So the TV tuner will only work on the second monitor that is plugged
into the old video card, and your other monitor plugged into your newer
card, will handle your main applications. BTW I did this with Win XP, in 98
or other, your milage may vary.
You can't get those new Radeon AIW 9600pros very cheap. Does your
Soundcard have a line in...if so, plug a radio into that (if its RCA, plug a
y adapter into it, otherwise use the headphone out to the line in). Now you
can use any sound recording software to record your radio, just like you
would record something from your microphone.

--
Night_Seer


 
Reply With Quote
 
DeMoN LaG
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-21-2003
(E-Mail Removed) (Tony) wrote in news:a40b1cd5.0310211038.68fa63d5
@posting.google.com:

> (1) Where can I find one of these cards for less than $30? (somebody
> metioned this in the message stream)
>


I can't find a dedicated FM card for under $30 anymore, but I can find
this:
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?DEPA=1
&submit=Go&description=Apollo%2CGOOG%2DPC%2CTV%2C% 2CPC%2CVideo%2C%2F%2CTV%
2C%2F%2CFM%2CCapture%2CCard

(link may wrap, search newegg for "apollo FM tuner"). This is a
combination TV tuner, FM radio tuner, video capture card, with wireless
remote for $38 with free fedex saver shipping. It's a pretty decent
looking package too. Gets 3/5 stars on NewEgg.

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
website: under construction
Need a technician in the south Jersey area?
email/IM for rates/services
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[OT: How to broadcast an internet radio on a real radio world wide?] Jan C. Faerber HTML 0 06-30-2009 08:05 AM
Watch online TV and listen radio programes stoyan C Programming 0 03-03-2007 08:28 PM
CANNOT LISTEN TO RADIO with (MOZILLA FIREFOX) bigrog_98@yahoo.com Firefox 10 06-17-2006 08:28 PM
Bad ServerSocket ! Listen! Listen! Listen! Donny Java 13 08-05-2004 06:51 PM



Advertisments