Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Cost effective way to use Mobile Phone to access web?

Cost effective way to use Mobile Phone to access web?

John

Hello.

I just wondered if there is a cost effective way to use your mobile
phone to connect a handheld computer, palmtop, notebook, laptop, even
regular PC to access the internet?

The reason I ask is I recently tried using my mobile phone when I was
waiting to get a new phone line. I used it for about half an hour to
surf the web using my home PC. When I got the bill I was stung for
around 22.

I know that the way it works is it charges based on KBs downloaded. I
knew it might be a tad expensive but didn't expect it to be quite as
high.

Can you not just set it to phone a different "freephone" number, or
even local rate number? Or will it always charge you by KB for Data
Calls whether you use your mobile company or not?

I'm with T-Mobile here in the UK and am very happy with the plan I'm
on and the service. I feel that the high cost of data calls may be a
problem for all mobile networks though.

Anyway thanks for any info on this one.

John

Sam Albrow

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello.
>
> I just wondered if there is a cost effective way to use your mobile
> phone to connect a handheld computer, palmtop, notebook, laptop, even
> regular PC to access the internet?
>
> The reason I ask is I recently tried using my mobile phone when I was
> waiting to get a new phone line. I used it for about half an hour to
> surf the web using my home PC. When I got the bill I was stung for
> around 22.
>
> I know that the way it works is it charges based on KBs downloaded. I
> knew it might be a tad expensive but didn't expect it to be quite as
> high.

I think your confused - basically GPRS is indeed chared by KB and you have
no control over who provides this, tmobile is the worst I belive but they
are all too much.

The other option, much slower but depending on what the number is it can be
included, is dial up at a blistering 9.6k (i.e. very slow) - its still
something though and ok if you have loads of inclusive mins in your tariff
plan to use up.

> Can you not just set it to phone a different "freephone" number, or
> even local rate number? Or will it always charge you by KB for Data
> Calls whether you use your mobile company or not?

See above but remember that there is no freephone on mobile phones except
orange; they will almost certainly bar any number such as this or more
likley you won't be able to use it if your now on bt (Fricao 0808 numbers);
even if they don't you would have to be on an orange contract not including
ovp virgin

> I'm with T-Mobile here in the UK and am very happy with the plan I'm
> on and the service. I feel that the high cost of data calls may be a
> problem for all mobile networks though.

It is, a fixed connection or lan connection is your best bet. Second best is
wireless hotspot but even the comercial ones of these are very expensive to
use.

Sam

> Anyway thanks for any info on this one.
>
> John

---
Sent from \\STN1 on HOMENET1 by user Sam Albrow 'Administrator'.

hairydog@despammed.com

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 03:41:26 +0100, John <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I'm with T-Mobile here in the UK and am very happy with the plan I'm
>on and the service.

In that case, switch to something like freetime 750 and instead of
using the expensive GPRS, use the a 9.6k dial up connection to connect
to an ISP with a real geographic number (not 0808, 0845 or whatever).
ClaraNet, for example.

Then calls after 6pm will come out of inclusive minutes.
--

Iain
the out-of-date hairydog guide to mobile phones

simplesimon

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello.
>
> I just wondered if there is a cost effective way to use your mobile
> phone to connect a handheld computer, palmtop, notebook, laptop, even
> regular PC to access the internet?
>
> The reason I ask is I recently tried using my mobile phone when I was
> waiting to get a new phone line. I used it for about half an hour to
> surf the web using my home PC. When I got the bill I was stung for
> around 22.
>
> I know that the way it works is it charges based on KBs downloaded. I
> knew it might be a tad expensive but didn't expect it to be quite as
> high.
>
> Can you not just set it to phone a different "freephone" number, or
> even local rate number? Or will it always charge you by KB for Data
> Calls whether you use your mobile company or not?
>
> I'm with T-Mobile here in the UK and am very happy with the plan I'm
> on and the service. I feel that the high cost of data calls may be a
> problem for all mobile networks though.
>
> Anyway thanks for any info on this one.
>
> John

I use my mobile as a dial-up modem. Speed is not great (9.6k) but it works
out ok for checking/replying to email as it comes from my inclusive minutes.

simon

LarryLamb

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello.
>
> I just wondered if there is a cost effective way to use your mobile
> phone to connect a handheld computer, palmtop, notebook, laptop, even
> regular PC to access the Internet?
>
> The reason I ask is I recently tried using my mobile phone when I was
> waiting to get a new phone line. I used it for about half an hour to
> surf the web using my home PC. When I got the bill I was stung for
> around 22.
>
> I know that the way it works is it charges based on KBs downloaded. I
> knew it might be a tad expensive but didn't expect it to be quite as
> high.
>
> Can you not just set it to phone a different "freephone" number, or
> even local rate number? Or will it always charge you by KB for Data
> Calls whether you use your mobile company or not?
>
> I'm with T-Mobile here in the UK and am very happy with the plan I'm
> on and the service. I feel that the high cost of data calls may be a
> problem for all mobile networks though.
>
> Anyway thanks for any info on this one.
>
> John

Vodafone has two new GPRS data cards - under the banner of Vodafone Mobile
Connect. They provide quick and easy Internet access for all types of users.

Both Mobile Connect Cards are easily installed into a laptop PC and are
pre-configured for use with the Vodafone GPRS network. The only other
requirement is a GPRS-enabled SIM card.

For light or medium usage - up to 15MB of data sent and received each month has
a monthly cost of 5.00 excl. VAT, with data usage charged at 2.00 excl. VAT
per MB. For heavier users, 45.00 for 150 MB with data usage charged at 1.00
per MB.

Also, Orange is upgrading its network to operate at up to 28,000 bps by
stripping out a lot of the error correction using a technique known as High
Speed Circuit Switched Data (HSCSD).

Webmaster

LarryLamb reckoned that:
> Also, Orange is upgrading its network to operate at up to 28,000 bps by
> stripping out a lot of the error correction using a technique known as High
> Speed Circuit Switched Data (HSCSD).

'Is upgrading'? This happened about 4 years ago!
--
www.unlockingshop.co.uk
Motorola remote unlocking - 10 (includes A920 on '3')

hairydog@despammed.com

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 15:08:07 GMT, "LarryLamb"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Also, Orange is upgrading its network to operate at up to 28,000 bps by
>stripping out a lot of the error correction using a technique known as High
>Speed Circuit Switched Data (HSCSD).

Your post seems to have taken several years to reach me.

--

Iain
the out-of-date hairydog guide to mobile phones
http://www.hairydog.co.uk/cell1.html
Browse now while stocks last!

John

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 11:03:13 +0100, "simplesimon"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"John" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Hello.
>>
>> I just wondered if there is a cost effective way to use your mobile
>> phone to connect a handheld computer, palmtop, notebook, laptop, even
>> regular PC to access the internet?
>>
>> The reason I ask is I recently tried using my mobile phone when I was
>> waiting to get a new phone line. I used it for about half an hour to
>> surf the web using my home PC. When I got the bill I was stung for
>> around 22.
>>
>> I know that the way it works is it charges based on KBs downloaded. I
>> knew it might be a tad expensive but didn't expect it to be quite as
>> high.
>>
>> Can you not just set it to phone a different "freephone" number, or
>> even local rate number? Or will it always charge you by KB for Data
>> Calls whether you use your mobile company or not?
>>
>> I'm with T-Mobile here in the UK and am very happy with the plan I'm
>> on and the service. I feel that the high cost of data calls may be a
>> problem for all mobile networks though.
>>
>> Anyway thanks for any info on this one.
>>
>> John
>>

>I use my mobile as a dial-up modem. Speed is not great (9.6k) but it works
>out ok for checking/replying to email as it comes from my inclusive minutes.
>
>simon

Hello.

How do you use the 9.6K modem part? When I use it on a regular
computer it just seems to come up and surf with GPRS.

I'm not on one of those evenings and weekend contracts where you get
lots of minutes. I just went for an everyone plan with less free
minutes but lower costs during the daytime, because I make quite a few
calls in the day. I wouldn't be using the 9.6K part that much,
probably just for occasional email downloads now and again as well.

I would never use Vodafone or switch to them, heck, I don't even call
anyone who uses them. They are Man U sponsors as well as Ferrari.

John

Dan

Does anyone know what tariff's on T-Mobile include fax/data calls in
the free inclusive minutes, even the old one2one tariff's?

Thanks,

Danny.

Dan

Dan wrote:
> Does anyone know what tariff's on T-Mobile include fax/data calls in
> the free inclusive minutes, even the old one2one tariff's?

Freetime 750 has data calls to T-Mobile and geographical included.