Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Re: Windows XP plus CPU change?

Re: Windows XP plus CPU change?

Bob Strong

> Here is an interesting article about product activation that I found
> when tring to decide whether to upgrade to Win XP or not-

My question is this...........Say I DON'T want to mess with the activation
scheme, so I don't use XP. What would be a good alternative? Win2000? Win
lite plus Opera? 98SE is doing the job, but not with everything.

Winston.

derek / nul

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 06:27:09 GMT, "Bob Strong" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Here is an interesting article about product activation that I found
>> when tring to decide whether to upgrade to Win XP or not-
>>

>My question is this...........Say I DON'T want to mess with the activation
>scheme, so I don't use XP. What would be a good alternative? Win2000? Win
>lite plus Opera? 98SE is doing the job, but not with everything.

I have run win2000 since it came out, there is nothing in XP that I need.

Derek

Thor

Win2k would be the closest alternative.

"Bob Strong" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) s.com...

> > Here is an interesting article about product activation that I found
> > when tring to decide whether to upgrade to Win XP or not-
> >

> My question is this...........Say I DON'T want to mess with the activation
> scheme, so I don't use XP. What would be a good alternative? Win2000? Win
> lite plus Opera? 98SE is doing the job, but not with everything.
>
> Winston.

Andrew Watiker

If you actually only use XP on one system (and follow the license agreement)
it isn't too bad. I have reinstalled XP several times on my machine and it
has never once complained about being reactivated and I never had to call
Microsoft of anything. I am in no way supporting activation but unless you
have a specific reason it would reject you then you don't really need to
worry about it. Activation also only takes a few seconds after you install
Windows. Keep in mind too that activation is not the same as registration.
It says you now should activate then after activation it asks if you want to
register at the same time. 98 Lite is better then 98 in terms of stability
and speed (I would assume I have never used it) however, it would add not
add new features over 98SE.

If you buy a new PC activation would probably already be completed.
--
Andrew Watiker

Visit My Website: http://andrewwatiker.alturl.com
or
http://andrewwatiker.homeip.net:81

"All We Are Saying is Give Peace a Chance."
- John Lennon

Peace & Love.
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Win2k would be the closest alternative.
>

> ..
> "Bob Strong" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) s.com...
> >
> > > Here is an interesting article about product activation that I found
> > > when tring to decide whether to upgrade to Win XP or not-
> > >

> > My question is this...........Say I DON'T want to mess with the

activation
> > scheme, so I don't use XP. What would be a good alternative? Win2000?

Win
> > lite plus Opera? 98SE is doing the job, but not with everything.
> >
> > Winston.

---