Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > saving problem

saving problem

CTB

I cannot save video files from web pages, I can only watch them online with
windows media player. I am using IE6. I have saved avi and mpg files
previously.. Why can I not now?

Jeff

DeMoN LaG

"CTB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I cannot save video files from web pages, I can only watch them online
> with windows media player. I am using IE6. I have saved avi and mpg
> files previously.. Why can I not now?

Can you be more clear as to why you can't save them now? Do you get an
error?

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

CTB

"DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
> "CTB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > I cannot save video files from web pages, I can only watch them online
> > with windows media player. I am using IE6. I have saved avi and mpg
> > files previously.. Why can I not now?
> >

> Can you be more clear as to why you can't save them now? Do you get an
> error?

no error, the 'save target as' option is not highlighted so I cannot select
it... I guess that's how I saved them last time.. (It has been a few
months since I've tried saving a video file)

Isildur

"CTB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I cannot save video files from web pages, I can only watch them online

with
> windows media player. I am using IE6. I have saved avi and mpg files
> previously.. Why can I not now?
>
> Jeff

Maybe you've set the WMP IE plug in to play any audio/video in it's own
column?

Thor

Some online media won't allow you to save it locally. It's probably a
streaming-only video.

"CTB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
> > "CTB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):
> >
> > > I cannot save video files from web pages, I can only watch them online
> > > with windows media player. I am using IE6. I have saved avi and mpg
> > > files previously.. Why can I not now?
> > >

> > Can you be more clear as to why you can't save them now? Do you get an
> > error?
> >

> no error, the 'save target as' option is not highlighted so I cannot

select
> it... I guess that's how I saved them last time.. (It has been a few
> months since I've tried saving a video file)

CTB

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Some online media won't allow you to save it locally. It's probably a
> streaming-only video.

Is there any way to get around this? Or is it not possible to download
them?

Thanks
Jeff.

CTB

"Isildur" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bmoh21$bnp$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Maybe you've set the WMP IE plug in to play any audio/video in it's own
> column?

If this is the case, how do I change it?

Thor

Some programs have been made to try and capture what is on-screen during the
streaming video, but in my experience the results are usually poor quality.
I wouldn't waste my time trying to get realmedia, or windows streaming
media. Quicktime will often allow you to save if you have the pro version.
But it still depends on the whims of the content author.