Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Where did my DVD and CDR-W go (update)

Where did my DVD and CDR-W go (update)

Jim P

Installed new mobo and no change what so ever.
Still can't see the drives.
I tried to reinstall the OS (Win9 Micron disc.
I now get this message...

this system does not contain the required signatures in the bios to install
windows...
Now what do I need to do??

Thanks in advance.

HF

First obvious thing to do is to go into setup and set bios defaults.Start
from square one.

"Jim P" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Installed new mobo and no change what so ever.
> Still can't see the drives.
> I tried to reinstall the OS (Win9 Micron disc.
> I now get this message...
>
> this system does not contain the required signatures in the bios to

install
> windows...
> Now what do I need to do??
>

> Thanks in advance.

Jim P

Hmmm
Will try that one now....

Thanks

"HF" <(E-Mail Removed)21.co.uk> wrote in message
news:3f8ed06c$(E-Mail Removed)...
> First obvious thing to do is to go into setup and set bios defaults.Start
> from square one.
>
> "Jim P" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Installed new mobo and no change what so ever.
> > Still can't see the drives.
> > I tried to reinstall the OS (Win9 Micron disc.
> > I now get this message...
> >
> > this system does not contain the required signatures in the bios to

> install
> > windows...
> > Now what do I need to do??
> >

> > Thanks in advance.

Jim P

Nope...that didn't work.

"Jim P" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hmmm
> Will try that one now....
>
> Thanks
>
> "HF" <(E-Mail Removed)21.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:3f8ed06c$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > First obvious thing to do is to go into setup and set bios

defaults.Start
> > from square one.
> >
> > "Jim P" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Installed new mobo and no change what so ever.
> > > Still can't see the drives.
> > > I tried to reinstall the OS (Win9 Micron disc.
> > > I now get this message...
> > >
> > > this system does not contain the required signatures in the bios to

> > install
> > > windows...
> > > Now what do I need to do??
> > >

> > > Thanks in advance.

Thor

"Jim P" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Installed new mobo and no change what so ever.
> Still can't see the drives.
> I tried to reinstall the OS (Win9 Micron disc.
> I now get this message...
>
> this system does not contain the required signatures in the bios to

install
> windows...
> Now what do I need to do??

Buy a standard copy of windows, or buy a new replacement motherboard from
Micron that has the BIOS marker in it, which will allow you to install the
Micron-OEM copy of Win98 you have. Your new aftermarket board lacks the BIOS
marker that ties the OEM version of windows to your machine. It's an
antipiracy feature.

Calvin Crumrine

Thor wrote:
> "Jim P" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Installed new mobo and no change what so ever.
>>Still can't see the drives.
>>I tried to reinstall the OS (Win9 Micron disc.
>>I now get this message...
>>
>>this system does not contain the required signatures in the bios to

> install
>
>>windows...
>>Now what do I need to do??

> Buy a standard copy of windows, or buy a new replacement motherboard from
> Micron that has the BIOS marker in it, which will allow you to install the
> Micron-OEM copy of Win98 you have. Your new aftermarket board lacks the BIOS
> marker that ties the OEM version of windows to your machine. It's an
> antipiracy feature.

I'd recommend buying the new copy of Windows. Even if you can return
your new mobo & buy one from Micron for the same price (which is
questionable-most companies, when they have you by the short hairs, will
ram it all the way in), that would still leave you locked into Micron.
Buying a standard copy of Windows would break that proprietary grip.

Jim P

Installed a copy of Windows 98 SE (Non micron disc)

Wow....there's the drives again.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...