Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > New hard Drive choice

New hard Drive choice

Winston

I've used them all. The problems come in spurts, and I was wondering which
ones are going south lately.........

Seagate, Maxtor, or WD special edition are all about $60 now at new egg. I
heard they took off the bottom cover plate on the Seagates, and the new WD
have a 3 year warranty. Anyone care to opine? Thanks!

Winston

Wizard

X-No-Archive:Yes

Here are my personal ratings based on Performance, Quality, Tech Support
and compatibility. 10=Best, 0=DO NOT BUY (even if free):

Maxtor 9.0
Western Digital 7.5 (making a come back)
Fujitsu 7.0
Seagate 6.8
IBM 5.5 (soon to be Hitachi)
NEC 4.5
Quantum 4.4 (owned by Maxtor)

Winston wrote:

> I've used them all. The problems come in spurts, and I was wondering which
> ones are going south lately.........
>
> Seagate, Maxtor, or WD special edition are all about $60 now at new egg. I
> heard they took off the bottom cover plate on the Seagates, and the new WD
> have a 3 year warranty. Anyone care to opine? Thanks!
>
> Winston

Adam Steiner

I might be mistaken, but didn't Hitachi already complete their purchase of
the IBM hard drive division? I know that the newest Hitachi drive is using
an IBM chip for something or other (I forgot what the review said), but I
don't think it's officially IBM anymore.

"Wizard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> X-No-Archive:Yes
>
> Here are my personal ratings based on Performance, Quality, Tech Support
> and compatibility. 10=Best, 0=DO NOT BUY (even if free):
>
> Maxtor 9.0
> Western Digital 7.5 (making a come back)
> Fujitsu 7.0
> Seagate 6.8
> IBM 5.5 (soon to be Hitachi)
> NEC 4.5
> Quantum 4.4 (owned by Maxtor)
>

> Winston wrote:
> >
> > I've used them all. The problems come in spurts, and I was wondering

which
> > ones are going south lately.........
> >
> > Seagate, Maxtor, or WD special edition are all about $60 now at new egg.

> > heard they took off the bottom cover plate on the Seagates, and the new

WD
> > have a 3 year warranty. Anyone care to opine? Thanks!
> >
> > Winston

Adam Steiner

"Winston" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've used them all. The problems come in spurts, and I was wondering which
> ones are going south lately.........
>
> Seagate, Maxtor, or WD special edition are all about $60 now at new egg. I
> heard they took off the bottom cover plate on the Seagates, and the new WD
> have a 3 year warranty. Anyone care to opine? Thanks!
>
> Winston

Hey Winston,

I can't speak from personal experience on the Seagate or Maxtor drives. I'm
currently using 2 Western Digital Special Edition drives (a 120GB and a
200GB) in my personal machine, and about two dozen of my friends (whose
computers I built) are also using various WD drives (SE and regular).
They're all running like a charm. My personal ones I put to heavy use, and
I like the three year warranty.

A couple of friends of mine are also using Maxtor drives and seem to like
them. Don't know anything about Seagate though. You might want to check
www.storagereview.com. They have information on almost every drive,
including many user reviews (which are very informative).

--Adam

DeMoN LaG

"Winston" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Seagate, Maxtor, or WD special edition are all about $60 now at new
> egg. I heard they took off the bottom cover plate on the Seagates, and
> the new WD have a 3 year warranty. Anyone care to opine? Thanks!

I like Maxtor drives, but the WD Special Edition is a really nice drive.

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

Thor

"DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
> "Winston" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > Seagate, Maxtor, or WD special edition are all about $60 now at new
> > egg. I heard they took off the bottom cover plate on the Seagates, and
> > the new WD have a 3 year warranty. Anyone care to opine? Thanks!
> >

> I like Maxtor drives, but the WD Special Edition is a really nice drive.

I concur. I'm running an 80GB WDSE drive right now. I love it.

DeMoN LaG

"Thor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I concur. I'm running an 80GB WDSE drive right now. I love it.

If I had the funds with me today, BestBuy is still doing their 120 GB WDSE
drive for $79.99 after rebates. I was considering cashing in on that, but
I have enough storage space at the time and not enough money to blow on
things like that. Good deal for anyone looking, though.

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
website: under construction
email/IM for rates/services

Night_Seer

DeMoN LaG wrote:
> "Thor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> I concur. I'm running an 80GB WDSE drive right now. I love it.
>>

> If I had the funds with me today, BestBuy is still doing their 120 GB
> WDSE drive for $79.99 after rebates. I was considering cashing in on
> that, but I have enough storage space at the time and not enough
> money to blow on things like that. Good deal for anyone looking,
> though.

CompUSA is doing a 120GB Seagate for about $70 total after taxes and mail in
rebates.

--
Night_Seer

DeMoN LaG

"Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> CompUSA is doing a 120GB Seagate for about $70 total after taxes and
> mail in rebates.

That isn't a seagate with 8MB of cache though, is it?

--

> "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > CompUSA is doing a 120GB Seagate for about $70 total after taxes and
> > mail in rebates.

> That isn't a seagate with 8MB of cache though, is it?
>
> --

Actually I believe it is. slickdeals.net has it for $60 after $70 in mail
in rebates. I'd go for either one, but I still have a little over 100GB of
storage free, so I'm good.

--Adam