Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > annoying problem

annoying problem

D. Wilson

Hi, can anyone help me with this irritating problem? I have Winds XP
and IE6. Whenever I am using programs such as MS Publisher, MS Word,
Frontpage, etc. and I go to insert an image from a folder in "My
Documents", as soon as the dialog box appears and I go to My Documents
to go find the folder with my image my computer decides to suddenly go
online when I don't want it to do so, and this seems to slow
everything up and I cannot do anything more until connected. Do you
know of any way of stopping this occuring? I also have WinXP and IE6
on laptop where I don't have this problem and nothing is configured
differently. Sorry if this has been covered before. Many thanks
Denise.

Night_Seer

D. Wilson wrote:
> Hi, can anyone help me with this irritating problem? I have Winds XP
> and IE6. Whenever I am using programs such as MS Publisher, MS Word,
> Frontpage, etc. and I go to insert an image from a folder in "My
> Documents", as soon as the dialog box appears and I go to My Documents
> to go find the folder with my image my computer decides to suddenly go
> online when I don't want it to do so, and this seems to slow
> everything up and I cannot do anything more until connected. Do you
> know of any way of stopping this occuring? I also have WinXP and IE6
> on laptop where I don't have this problem and nothing is configured
> differently. Sorry if this has been covered before. Many thanks
> Denise.

Get a firewall, like zone alarm, and you can tell it which programs are
"allowed" to go online and which ones aren't.

--
Night_Seer