Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > 9800 XT/TVD AIW?

9800 XT/TVD AIW?

John

Hello.

I just wondered if these new cards, that seems to be even better than
the Pros, are AIWs and come with a TV tuner? Or does the TVD at the
end just signify that it has a TV Out?

Tar

John

J.Clarke

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 19:15:01 +0100
John <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I just wondered if these new cards, that seems to be even better than
> the Pros, are AIWs and come with a TV tuner? Or does the TVD at the
> end just signify that it has a TV Out?

It appears to just be a ASUS suffix indicating a particular performance
level. The description of the board and the photos do not indicate that
either a tuner or TV-in is present.

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

MrToad

John <(E-Mail Removed)> Ran in the back door and shouted
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Hello.
>
> I just wondered if these new cards, that seems to be even better than
> the Pros, are AIWs and come with a TV tuner? Or does the TVD at the
> end just signify that it has a TV Out?
>
> Tar
>
> John

I agee with J.Clarke, there is no indication that this is an AIW card,
just TV out.

According to HardOCP, [ http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTI5 ];

The Radeon 9800XT is their next new high-end card. They have taken this
core and expanded it and made it even more overclockable allowing for
higher default clock speeds and still providing the same shader
architecture. The last point is very important to note: “Most widely used
DirectX9 Platform”. The R300 has been out a year now, in fact it was even
out before DirectX9 was even released. That being the case, this card has
been the development platform of choice for developers simply because it
was the first and has been here the longest. That means any game that has
been developed in the last year probably started with development on the
9700 Pro.

ATI Radeon 9800XT 256MB - Operating at default clock speeds 412/730 using
Catalyst Driver 3.7.

ATI Radeon 9800Pro 128MB – Operating at default clock speeds 380/680
using Catalyst Driver 3.7.

HTH

--
MrToad

David

"John" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> Hello.
>
> I just wondered if these new cards, that seems to be even better than
> the Pros, are AIWs and come with a TV tuner? Or does the TVD at the
> end just signify that it has a TV Out?
>
> Tar
>
> John

From what I can tell the TVD is just the abbreviation for the
inputs/outputs. T = tv output, V = video input and D = dvi output. Some of
their cards just have TD and are without the video inputs. I could be wrong
but that's how I read their numbers/letters anyway.

David

ed

update: using the new Omega drivers, everything works EXCEPT -- can't use
cable tv in. I can view a signal that has already been processed ie. from a
vcr or tv output, but despite the fact that tv tuner software in included,
there apparently is no method of RF modulation (I think) to enable the tuner
to grab the frequencies for the various channels. Does this mean I need a
Tuner card, modulator or what? Any ideas?

TheRealMrEd
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
"ed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> It has both TV in and out (composite and S-video each way) with software

PVR
> and software TV tuner. Because of driver install probs, I still don't have
> the TV part working correctly yet.
>
> The RealMrEd
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hello.
> >
> > I just wondered if these new cards, that seems to be even better than
> > the Pros, are AIWs and come with a TV tuner? Or does the TVD at the
> > end just signify that it has a TV Out?
> >
> > Tar
> >
> > John

Wabbit

"ed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Does this mean I need a Tuner card, modulator or what? Any
> ideas?
>
> TheRealMrEd

If you do not have AIW, you will need a tv tuner card or use the VCR to
change the channels. Non-AIW card have TV-out, but some cards also have
video-in. However, you still need a card with a tv tuner to be able to
change the stations on the pc.

Wabbit