Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Format & reinstall XP problem?

Format & reinstall XP problem?

Kenny

Have fully formatted, not quick option, HDD and reinstalled XP. At bootup I
now have 2 XP's in boot menu! I thought a full format removed everything so
why have I got this? I have successfully resolved similar situation before
by following the steps here:
http://tweakhomepc.virtualave.net/du...edualboot.html
Only difference then was that the 2nd XP was on a different partition, this
time they're on the same one, drive's not partitioned. The file "boot.ini"
does not exist on this PC and yes I have searched hidden system files. I
have an almost identical PC and "boot.ini" is on that in the root folder of
C:, only real difference in the PC's is that this one has 2HDD's and a
number of partitions.
I have only installed XP, no chipset drivers or anything as yet. Selecting
the 2nd XP PC boots normally, selecting 1st XP the PC boots slowly but to
the new XP install, the old one doesn't exist. I don't know what's going on
here and any advice appreciated, in particular why I have no "boot.ini".

--

Kenny

Thor

If you have WinXP installed there *has* to be a Boot.ini file on there
somewhere. Check again, and make sure you have windows set to display hidden
and system files. Don't rely on merely the search tool. Go into windows
explorer, go to tools, then folder options, then view, and enable hidden and
system files as well as protected operating system files. You should then
find the boot.ini file in the root folder. Alternatively, go to the MSconfig
utility, and it will show you what your boot.ini file looks like.

news:blf3l8$bml0q$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> Have fully formatted, not quick option, HDD and reinstalled XP. At bootup

> now have 2 XP's in boot menu! I thought a full format removed everything

so
> why have I got this? I have successfully resolved similar situation

before
> by following the steps here:
> http://tweakhomepc.virtualave.net/du...edualboot.html
> Only difference then was that the 2nd XP was on a different partition,

this
> time they're on the same one, drive's not partitioned. The file

"boot.ini"
> does not exist on this PC and yes I have searched hidden system files. I
> have an almost identical PC and "boot.ini" is on that in the root folder

of
> C:, only real difference in the PC's is that this one has 2HDD's and a
> number of partitions.
> I have only installed XP, no chipset drivers or anything as yet.

Selecting
> the 2nd XP PC boots normally, selecting 1st XP the PC boots slowly but to
> the new XP install, the old one doesn't exist. I don't know what's going

on
> here and any advice appreciated, in particular why I have no "boot.ini".
>

> --
>
> Kenny

ImhoTech

In Xp you access Boot.ini differently. Click Start, right click My Computer,
choose properties, click Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and
Recovery, click Edit.

news:blf3l8$bml0q$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> Have fully formatted, not quick option, HDD and reinstalled XP. At bootup

> now have 2 XP's in boot menu! I thought a full format removed everything

so
> why have I got this? I have successfully resolved similar situation

before
> by following the steps here:
> http://tweakhomepc.virtualave.net/du...edualboot.html
> Only difference then was that the 2nd XP was on a different partition,

this
> time they're on the same one, drive's not partitioned. The file

"boot.ini"
> does not exist on this PC and yes I have searched hidden system files. I
> have an almost identical PC and "boot.ini" is on that in the root folder

of
> C:, only real difference in the PC's is that this one has 2HDD's and a
> number of partitions.
> I have only installed XP, no chipset drivers or anything as yet.

Selecting
> the 2nd XP PC boots normally, selecting 1st XP the PC boots slowly but to
> the new XP install, the old one doesn't exist. I don't know what's going

on
> here and any advice appreciated, in particular why I have no "boot.ini".
>

> --
>
> Kenny

Kenny

Thanks, never thought of checking msconfig! It was there and I used the
"check all paths" option and it told me:
"it appears the following line in boot.ini does not refer to a valid OS,
(long line here), would you like to remove it from boot.ini. Clicked yes,
restarted and it started normally. Funny thing is I still can't find
boot.ini yet I can find a backup of the unmodified boot.ini in PSS folder.
I have enabled "show hidden files" and "show system files". General tab of
msconfig says I'm now using a modified boot.ini. Still curious as to how
the problem arose in the first place, format and reinstall went very
smoothly.

--

Kenny

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If you have WinXP installed there *has* to be a Boot.ini file on there
> somewhere. Check again, and make sure you have windows set to display

hidden
> and system files. Don't rely on merely the search tool. Go into windows
> explorer, go to tools, then folder options, then view, and enable hidden

and
> system files as well as protected operating system files. You should then
> find the boot.ini file in the root folder. Alternatively, go to the

MSconfig
> utility, and it will show you what your boot.ini file looks like.
>

> ..
> "Kenny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:blf3l8$bml0q$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> > Have fully formatted, not quick option, HDD and reinstalled XP. At

bootup
> > now have 2 XP's in boot menu! I thought a full format removed

everything
> so
> > why have I got this? I have successfully resolved similar situation

> before
> > by following the steps here:
> > http://tweakhomepc.virtualave.net/du...edualboot.html
> > Only difference then was that the 2nd XP was on a different partition,

> this
> > time they're on the same one, drive's not partitioned. The file

> "boot.ini"
> > does not exist on this PC and yes I have searched hidden system files.

> > have an almost identical PC and "boot.ini" is on that in the root folder

> of
> > C:, only real difference in the PC's is that this one has 2HDD's and a
> > number of partitions.
> > I have only installed XP, no chipset drivers or anything as yet.

> Selecting
> > the 2nd XP PC boots normally, selecting 1st XP the PC boots slowly but

> > the new XP install, the old one doesn't exist. I don't know what's

going
> on
> > here and any advice appreciated, in particular why I have no "boot.ini".
> >

> > --
> >
> > Kenny

Billy

Your boot.ini file will be on the system drive as a hidden file. Open
Disk Management and see which partition is your system drive. The Boot
drive will be the currently loaded OS drive/partition.
With XP you may even have a different active drive.

news:blf93b$bi0en$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> [...]

> > "boot.ini"
> > > does not exist on this PC and yes I have searched hidden system

files.
> > > have an almost identical PC and "boot.ini" is on that in the root

folder
> > of
> > > C:, only real difference in the PC's is that this one has 2HDD's

and a
> > > number of partitions.
> > > I have only installed XP, no chipset drivers or anything as yet.

> > Selecting
> > > the 2nd XP PC boots normally, selecting 1st XP the PC boots slowly

but
> > > the new XP install, the old one doesn't exist. I don't know

what's
> going
> > on
> > > here and any advice appreciated, in particular why I have no

Kenny

Thanks, that works and I can access boot.ini from there but why is it that
on another almost identical PC I can find and open it from the Find command?

--

Kenny

"ImhoTech" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In Xp you access Boot.ini differently. Click Start, right click My

Computer,
> choose properties, click Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and
> Recovery, click Edit.
>
> "Kenny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:blf3l8$bml0q$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> > Have fully formatted, not quick option, HDD and reinstalled XP. At

bootup
> > now have 2 XP's in boot menu! I thought a full format removed

everything
> so
> > why have I got this? I have successfully resolved similar situation

> before
> > by following the steps here:
> > http://tweakhomepc.virtualave.net/du...edualboot.html
> > Only difference then was that the 2nd XP was on a different partition,

> this
> > time they're on the same one, drive's not partitioned. The file

> "boot.ini"
> > does not exist on this PC and yes I have searched hidden system files.

> > have an almost identical PC and "boot.ini" is on that in the root folder

> of
> > C:, only real difference in the PC's is that this one has 2HDD's and a
> > number of partitions.
> > I have only installed XP, no chipset drivers or anything as yet.

> Selecting
> > the 2nd XP PC boots normally, selecting 1st XP the PC boots slowly but

> > the new XP install, the old one doesn't exist. I don't know what's

going
> on
> > here and any advice appreciated, in particular why I have no "boot.ini".
> >

> > --
> >
> > Kenny

DaveL

You should have blown away the partition and then boot with the XP cd, then
do a normal install where it partitions and formats for you. XP is more
user friendly this way. You have to get out of the old mode of thinking
where you first had to fdisk then format and then run setup.

Dave

news:blf3l8$bml0q$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> Have fully formatted, not quick option, HDD and reinstalled XP. At bootup

> now have 2 XP's in boot menu! I thought a full format removed everything

so
> why have I got this? I have successfully resolved similar situation

before
> by following the steps here:
> http://tweakhomepc.virtualave.net/du...edualboot.html
> Only difference then was that the 2nd XP was on a different partition,

this
> time they're on the same one, drive's not partitioned. The file

"boot.ini"
> does not exist on this PC and yes I have searched hidden system files. I
> have an almost identical PC and "boot.ini" is on that in the root folder

of
> C:, only real difference in the PC's is that this one has 2HDD's and a
> number of partitions.
> I have only installed XP, no chipset drivers or anything as yet.

Selecting
> the 2nd XP PC boots normally, selecting 1st XP the PC boots slowly but to
> the new XP install, the old one doesn't exist. I don't know what's going

on
> here and any advice appreciated, in particular why I have no "boot.ini".
>

> --
>
> Kenny

Kenny

I booted from XP CD and formatted/reinstalled from there.

--

Kenny

"DaveL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You should have blown away the partition and then boot with the XP cd,

then
> do a normal install where it partitions and formats for you. XP is more
> user friendly this way. You have to get out of the old mode of thinking
> where you first had to fdisk then format and then run setup.
>
> Dave
>

> "Kenny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:blf3l8$bml0q$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> > Have fully formatted, not quick option, HDD and reinstalled XP. At

bootup
> > now have 2 XP's in boot menu! I thought a full format removed

everything
> so
> > why have I got this? I have successfully resolved similar situation

> before
> > by following the steps here:
> > http://tweakhomepc.virtualave.net/du...edualboot.html
> > Only difference then was that the 2nd XP was on a different partition,

> this
> > time they're on the same one, drive's not partitioned. The file

> "boot.ini"
> > does not exist on this PC and yes I have searched hidden system files.

> > have an almost identical PC and "boot.ini" is on that in the root folder

> of
> > C:, only real difference in the PC's is that this one has 2HDD's and a
> > number of partitions.
> > I have only installed XP, no chipset drivers or anything as yet.

> Selecting
> > the 2nd XP PC boots normally, selecting 1st XP the PC boots slowly but

> > the new XP install, the old one doesn't exist. I don't know what's

going
> on
> > here and any advice appreciated, in particular why I have no "boot.ini".
> >

> > --
> >
> > Kenny

DaveL

Are you familiar with fdisk?
Dave

news:blfc3v$bnsi6$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> I booted from XP CD and formatted/reinstalled from there.
>
> --
>
> Kenny
>

> "DaveL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > You should have blown away the partition and then boot with the XP cd,

> then
> > do a normal install where it partitions and formats for you. XP is more
> > user friendly this way. You have to get out of the old mode of thinking
> > where you first had to fdisk then format and then run setup.
> >
> > Dave
> >

> > "Kenny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:blf3l8$bml0q$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> > > Have fully formatted, not quick option, HDD and reinstalled XP. At

> bootup
> > > now have 2 XP's in boot menu! I thought a full format removed

> everything
> > so
> > > why have I got this? I have successfully resolved similar situation

> > before
> > > by following the steps here:
> > > http://tweakhomepc.virtualave.net/du...edualboot.html
> > > Only difference then was that the 2nd XP was on a different partition,

> > this
> > > time they're on the same one, drive's not partitioned. The file

> > "boot.ini"
> > > does not exist on this PC and yes I have searched hidden system files.

> > > have an almost identical PC and "boot.ini" is on that in the root

folder
> > of
> > > C:, only real difference in the PC's is that this one has 2HDD's and a
> > > number of partitions.
> > > I have only installed XP, no chipset drivers or anything as yet.

> > Selecting
> > > the 2nd XP PC boots normally, selecting 1st XP the PC boots slowly but

> > > the new XP install, the old one doesn't exist. I don't know what's

> going
> > on
> > > here and any advice appreciated, in particular why I have no

"boot.ini".

> > > --
> > >
> > > Kenny

ImhoTech

First check your search preferences. Open a search, click the All Files and
Folders, click More advanced options, make sure "Search system files" and
"Search hidden files and folders" both are checked. Even if you have folder
options set to show all files, etc, Search still bypasses system files and
folders.

Did you manually check the root of C: for the file? You should have been
able to find it there
news:blfavl$bpj76$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> Thanks, that works and I can access boot.ini from there but why is it that
> on another almost identical PC I can find and open it from the Find

command?

> --
>
> Kenny
>

> "ImhoTech" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > In Xp you access Boot.ini differently. Click Start, right click My

> Computer,
> > choose properties, click Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and
> > Recovery, click Edit.
> >
> > "Kenny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:blf3l8$bml0q$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> > > Have fully formatted, not quick option, HDD and reinstalled XP. At

> bootup
> > > now have 2 XP's in boot menu! I thought a full format removed

> everything
> > so
> > > why have I got this? I have successfully resolved similar situation

> > before
> > > by following the steps here:
> > > http://tweakhomepc.virtualave.net/du...edualboot.html
> > > Only difference then was that the 2nd XP was on a different partition,

> > this
> > > time they're on the same one, drive's not partitioned. The file

> > "boot.ini"
> > > does not exist on this PC and yes I have searched hidden system files.

> > > have an almost identical PC and "boot.ini" is on that in the root

folder
> > of
> > > C:, only real difference in the PC's is that this one has 2HDD's and a
> > > number of partitions.
> > > I have only installed XP, no chipset drivers or anything as yet.

> > Selecting
> > > the 2nd XP PC boots normally, selecting 1st XP the PC boots slowly but

> > > the new XP install, the old one doesn't exist. I don't know what's

> going
> > on
> > > here and any advice appreciated, in particular why I have no

"boot.ini".

> > > --
> > >
> > > Kenny

Format/reinstall planned Autumn Computer Information 4 04-23-2007 12:38 PM
format/reinstall NewB Computer Support 4 08-31-2004 07:27 AM
Format & reinstall XP problem? Kenny Computer Support 4 10-01-2003 07:22 PM
To reinstall or not to reinstall - that is the question. nobody760 NZ Computing 1 09-12-2003 09:05 PM
format / reinstall pc nightmare Computer Support 1 08-05-2003 07:55 PM

Advertisments