Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > pc very slow on internet

pc very slow on internet

Bryan Henderson

I am having problems with my desktop pc while surfing the net. (As I am not
having the same problem with my laptop the problem is definitely with the
desktop pc.) Norton doesn't detect any viruses and it is up-to-date with
regard to definitions.

I discovered the other day that part of the problem was the WINSOCK file had
become corrupted, I was advised by my ISP (Telewest) to search for a Winsock
repair file on the net which I did. The result of this was I can now see web
pages (before I couldn't) but they are often very slow to load ( I have
cable broadband with Telewest so they should be much faster).

I have done a repair on IE and searched for an update for Windows 98SE, but
there are none available it says. I have been getting loads of Swen email
but always delete it online.

Does anyone have any suggestions, apart from jumping off the Forth Bridge of
course? TIA.

--
Radar: You're not supposed to be sleeping.
Hawkeye: I'm not sleeping Radar... I'm just inspecting the

"When your're down and out something will usually turn up......... often
the noses of your friends" - Orson Welles.

Bryan Henderson

"Bryan Henderson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:blbris$9hbg6$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> I am having problems with my desktop pc while surfing the net. (As I am

not
> having the same problem with my laptop the problem is definitely with the
> desktop pc.) Norton doesn't detect any viruses and it is up-to-date with
> regard to definitions.
>
> I discovered the other day that part of the problem was the WINSOCK file

had
> become corrupted, I was advised by my ISP (Telewest) to search for a

Winsock
> repair file on the net which I did. The result of this was I can now see

web
> pages (before I couldn't) but they are often very slow to load ( I have
> cable broadband with Telewest so they should be much faster).
>
> I have done a repair on IE and searched for an update for Windows 98SE,

but
> there are none available it says. I have been getting loads of Swen email
> but always delete it online.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions, apart from jumping off the Forth Bridge

of
> course? TIA.

I meant to say I have also run Ad-aware and Spybot as well.

Peter T

"Bryan Henderson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:blbris$9hbg6$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> I am having problems with my desktop pc while surfing the net. (As I am

not
> having the same problem with my laptop the problem is definitely with the
> desktop pc.) Norton doesn't detect any viruses and it is up-to-date with
> regard to definitions.
>
> I discovered the other day that part of the problem was the WINSOCK file

had
> become corrupted, I was advised by my ISP (Telewest) to search for a

Winsock
> repair file on the net which I did. The result of this was I can now see

web
> pages (before I couldn't) but they are often very slow to load ( I have
> cable broadband with Telewest so they should be much faster).
>
> I have done a repair on IE and searched for an update for Windows 98SE,

but
> there are none available it says. I have been getting loads of Swen email
> but always delete it online.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions, apart from jumping off the Forth Bridge

of
> course? TIA.

The Tamar Bridge is much nearer!

Have you double checked that it is in fact connecting through your cable?
Does it show what the connection speed is? I ask because somehow
(daughter?) mine started to connect through old 56k modem instead of
broadband.

Long shot but HTH

Peter

Peter T

"Peter T" <(E-Mail Removed)9.co.uk> wrote in message
news:RKeeb.962$(E-Mail Removed)9.net...

> "Bryan Henderson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:blbris$9hbg6$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> > I am having problems with my desktop pc while surfing the net. (As I am

> not
> > having the same problem with my laptop the problem is definitely with

the
> > desktop pc.) Norton doesn't detect any viruses and it is up-to-date with
> > regard to definitions.
> >
> > I discovered the other day that part of the problem was the WINSOCK file

> had
> > become corrupted, I was advised by my ISP (Telewest) to search for a

> Winsock
> > repair file on the net which I did. The result of this was I can now see

> web
> > pages (before I couldn't) but they are often very slow to load ( I have
> > cable broadband with Telewest so they should be much faster).
> >
> > I have done a repair on IE and searched for an update for Windows 98SE,

> but
> > there are none available it says. I have been getting loads of Swen

email
> > but always delete it online.
> >
> > Does anyone have any suggestions, apart from jumping off the Forth

Bridge
> of
> > course? TIA.
> >

> The Tamar Bridge is much nearer!
>
> Have you double checked that it is in fact connecting through your cable?
> Does it show what the connection speed is? I ask because somehow
> (daughter?) mine started to connect through old 56k modem instead of
> broadband.
>
> Long shot but HTH
>
> Peter

and have you deleted your IE cache?

Peter

Bryan Henderson

"Peter T" <(E-Mail Removed)9.co.uk> wrote in message
news:XMeeb.963$(E-Mail Removed)9.net...

> "Peter T" <(E-Mail Removed)9.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:RKeeb.962$(E-Mail Removed)9.net...
> >
> > "Bryan Henderson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:blbris$9hbg6$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> > > I am having problems with my desktop pc while surfing the net. (As I

am
> > not
> > > having the same problem with my laptop the problem is definitely with

> the
> > > desktop pc.) Norton doesn't detect any viruses and it is up-to-date

with
> > > regard to definitions.
> > >
> > > I discovered the other day that part of the problem was the WINSOCK

file
> > had
> > > become corrupted, I was advised by my ISP (Telewest) to search for a

> > Winsock
> > > repair file on the net which I did. The result of this was I can now

see
> > web
> > > pages (before I couldn't) but they are often very slow to load ( I

have
> > > cable broadband with Telewest so they should be much faster).
> > >
> > > I have done a repair on IE and searched for an update for Windows

98SE,
> > but
> > > there are none available it says. I have been getting loads of Swen

> email
> > > but always delete it online.
> > >
> > > Does anyone have any suggestions, apart from jumping off the Forth

> Bridge
> > of
> > > course? TIA.
> > >

> > The Tamar Bridge is much nearer!

not to Edinburgh....

> > Have you double checked that it is in fact connecting through your

cable?
> > Does it show what the connection speed is? I ask because somehow
> > (daughter?) mine started to connect through old 56k modem instead of
> > broadband.
> >
> > Long shot but HTH

It definitely isn't connecting through the 56k modem. Are you on ADSL or
cable?

> and have you deleted your IE cache?

I have now but I don't think that is the main problem.

Peter T

> > > The Tamar Bridge is much nearer!
>
> not to Edinburgh....

Try replacing the haggis processor in your cable modem with a good Devon
pasty! <<g>>

> It definitely isn't connecting through the 56k modem. Are you on ADSL or
> cable?

ADSL - connection speed 576 Kbps and works very well. Does your cable
connection show what speed you're connecting at? I think it will be
important to eliminate line/modem problems before getting too worked up
about the PC - unless the whole thing is running slow.

Peter

Bryan Henderson

"Peter T" <(E-Mail Removed)9.co.uk> wrote in message
news:3kfeb.971$(E-Mail Removed)9.net...

> > not to Edinburgh....
> >

> Try replacing the haggis processor in your cable modem with a good Devon
> pasty! <<g>>

what's wrong with haggis processors? We don't get that many Devon pasties up
here, mostly things called bridies and some Cornish pasties, now a drop of
scrumpy that might help!

> > It definitely isn't connecting through the 56k modem. Are you on ADSL or
> > cable?
> >

> ADSL - connection speed 576 Kbps and works very well. Does your cable
> connection show what speed you're connecting at? I think it will be
> important to eliminate line/modem problems before getting too worked up
> about the PC - unless the whole thing is running slow.

Well as I said my laptop works fine on the same connection so I presumed the
problem is with the PC not the connection don't you agree? The cable modem
doesn't display speed of connection AFAIK.

Sparky

Your TCP settings probably got restored to the windows default settings,
which are more appropriate for dialup. I've seen the same symptoms before,
and that's what the problem was.

Go to www.broadbandreports.com - in the tools section, run a speed test on
both your desktop and laptop. If the results differ, that's the problem.
Then check out the "tweak test" to see which registry adjustments should be
changed in order to optimize your performance. There are tools on the site
which will help you make the adjustments.... or you can go to
www.cablenut.com and use their adjuster program. It comes with templates
for most types of broadband connections.

Only other possibility which comes to mind immediately is a bad NIC, or NIC
drivers.

Bryan Henderson wrote:
> I am having problems with my desktop pc while surfing the net. (As I
> am not having the same problem with my laptop the problem is
> definitely with the desktop pc.) Norton doesn't detect any viruses
> and it is up-to-date with regard to definitions.
>
> I discovered the other day that part of the problem was the WINSOCK
> file had become corrupted, I was advised by my ISP (Telewest) to
> search for a Winsock repair file on the net which I did. The result
> of this was I can now see web pages (before I couldn't) but they are
> often very slow to load ( I have cable broadband with Telewest so
> they should be much faster).
>
> I have done a repair on IE and searched for an update for Windows
> 98SE, but there are none available it says. I have been getting loads
> of Swen email but always delete it online.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions, apart from jumping off the Forth
> Bridge of course? TIA.

Bryan Henderson

"Sparky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Uiieb.5518$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Your TCP settings probably got restored to the windows default settings,
> which are more appropriate for dialup. I've seen the same symptoms

before,
> and that's what the problem was.
>
> Go to www.broadbandreports.com - in the tools section, run a speed test on
> both your desktop and laptop. If the results differ, that's the problem.
> Then check out the "tweak test" to see which registry adjustments should

be
> changed in order to optimize your performance. There are tools on the

site
> which will help you make the adjustments.... or you can go to
> www.cablenut.com and use their adjuster program. It comes with templates
> for most types of broadband connections.

I've done that and the results are

laptop download 331 kbps upload 79 kbps
desktop down 122 kbps up 0 bps

> Only other possibility which comes to mind immediately is a bad NIC, or

NIC
> drivers.
>

> Bryan Henderson wrote:
> > I am having problems with my desktop pc while surfing the net. (As I
> > am not having the same problem with my laptop the problem is
> > definitely with the desktop pc.) Norton doesn't detect any viruses
> > and it is up-to-date with regard to definitions.
> >
> > I discovered the other day that part of the problem was the WINSOCK
> > file had become corrupted, I was advised by my ISP (Telewest) to
> > search for a Winsock repair file on the net which I did. The result
> > of this was I can now see web pages (before I couldn't) but they are
> > often very slow to load ( I have cable broadband with Telewest so
> > they should be much faster).
> >
> > I have done a repair on IE and searched for an update for Windows
> > 98SE, but there are none available it says. I have been getting loads
> > of Swen email but always delete it online.
> >
> > Does anyone have any suggestions, apart from jumping off the Forth
> > Bridge of course? TIA.

anonsoc

Actually if your cache is huge it will take forever to load up a webpage.
Clean out your cache file and try again.

What happens is when a webpage is loading your comp attempts to find the
cached page to make loading quicker, but when you have too many files in
there, it takes longer to search than it would to just load the page from
scratch.
news:blclo8$apfuk$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...