Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > "system update disk"

"system update disk"

Steffi

Every time I start to open "My computer" or go to start a program I get a
message saying windows installer is needed and to insert "System Update
Disk". I don't have - and never have had - a "System update disk". I've
tried downloading Windows installer from the internet and I installed that
but it doesn't make any difference, I still get the message.
If I click "cancel" twice then "my computer" and most progs still work but
it's driving me nuts! Windows update is up to date by the way
OS is 98SE. & pro is AMD 1200,

Don Schmidt

It sounds like your computer has Windows 98 SE that was Updated from the
Windows 98SE Update disk. The computer is probably asking for it to
repair/replace some damaged or missing files.

--
Don
Vancouver, USA, a great city in one of the 45+ countries in America!

"Steffi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bl8mcb$9hg$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Every time I start to open "My computer" or go to start a program I get a
> message saying windows installer is needed and to insert "System Update
> Disk". I don't have - and never have had - a "System update disk". I've
> tried downloading Windows installer from the internet and I installed that
> but it doesn't make any difference, I still get the message.
> If I click "cancel" twice then "my computer" and most progs still work but
> it's driving me nuts! Windows update is up to date by the way
> OS is 98SE. & pro is AMD 1200,

Bruce Beck

"Steffi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:bl8mcb$9hg$(E-Mail Removed):

> Every time I start to open "My computer" or go to start a
> program I get a message saying windows installer is needed
> and to insert "System Update Disk". I don't have - and
> never have had - a "System update disk". I've tried
> downloading Windows installer from the internet and I
> installed that but it doesn't make any difference, I still
> get the message. If I click "cancel" twice then "my
> computer" and most progs still work but it's driving me
> nuts! Windows update is up to date by the way OS is 98SE. &
> pro is AMD 1200,

It's sound like you might have been hit by a virus. I just deal
with one and was getting a little box poping up saying:
MSTASK32 has preformed a illegal opertion
with to selection Close or Detail.
From McAFee virus information webpage I found out it was the
worm virus. by which my system is now free and clear of it.

Bruce.

Shep©

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 08:17:27 +0100, In this world we created "Steffi"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :

>Every time I start to open "My computer" or go to start a program I get a
>message saying windows installer is needed and to insert "System Update
>Disk". I don't have - and never have had - a "System update disk". I've
>tried downloading Windows installer from the internet and I installed that
>but it doesn't make any difference, I still get the message.
>If I click "cancel" twice then "my computer" and most progs still work but
>it's driving me nuts! Windows update is up to date by the way
>OS is 98SE. & pro is AMD 1200,

http://tinyurl.com/p33m
will help

HTH

--
Free Windows/PC help,
It's a G not a J in jmx to reply

Steffi

"Shep©" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 08:17:27 +0100, In this world we created "Steffi"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :
>
> >Every time I start to open "My computer" or go to start a program I get a
> >message saying windows installer is needed and to insert "System Update
> >Disk". I don't have - and never have had - a "System update disk". I've
> >tried downloading Windows installer from the internet and I installed

that
> >but it doesn't make any difference, I still get the message.
> >If I click "cancel" twice then "my computer" and most progs still work

but
> >it's driving me nuts! Windows update is up to date by the way
> >OS is 98SE. & pro is AMD 1200,
> >

> http://tinyurl.com/p33m
> will help
>
> HTH

Thanks for the help but it's definitely not infected. Got a brand new, up to
date, authentic Norton AV3 on and has been repeatedly checked.

Steffi

"Shep©" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 08:17:27 +0100, In this world we created "Steffi"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :
>
> >Every time I start to open "My computer" or go to start a program I get a
> >message saying windows installer is needed and to insert "System Update
> >Disk". I don't have - and never have had - a "System update disk". I've
> >tried downloading Windows installer from the internet and I installed

that
> >but it doesn't make any difference, I still get the message.
> >If I click "cancel" twice then "my computer" and most progs still work

but
> >it's driving me nuts! Windows update is up to date by the way
> >OS is 98SE. & pro is AMD 1200,
> >

> http://tinyurl.com/p33m
> will help
>
> HTH

Thanks for the help but it's definitely not infected. Got a brand new, up to
date, authentic Norton AV3 on and has been repeatedly checked.

Peter

Steffi <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:blb7e5$btk$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Shep©" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 08:17:27 +0100, In this world we created "Steffi"
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :
> >
> > >Every time I start to open "My computer" or go to start a program I get

> > >message saying windows installer is needed and to insert "System Update
> > >Disk". I don't have - and never have had - a "System update disk". I've
> > >tried downloading Windows installer from the internet and I installed

> that
> > >but it doesn't make any difference, I still get the message.
> > >If I click "cancel" twice then "my computer" and most progs still work

> but
> > >it's driving me nuts! Windows update is up to date by the way
> > >OS is 98SE. & pro is AMD 1200,
> > >

> > http://tinyurl.com/p33m
> > will help
> >
> > HTH
> >

> Thanks for the help but it's definitely not infected. Got a brand new, up

> date, authentic Norton AV3 on and has been repeatedly checked.

Try a ScanReg first of all. If this reveals nothing unusual then try
re-installing 98 SE with your system disk. Just install it over what you
already have on your hard drive. It's possible a system file has been
corrupted somewhere along the line, and this might fix the problem.

CC

Shep©

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 07:12:46 +0100, In this world we created "Steffi"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :

>"Shep©" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 08:17:27 +0100, In this world we created "Steffi"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :
>>
>> >Every time I start to open "My computer" or go to start a program I get a
>> >message saying windows installer is needed and to insert "System Update
>> >Disk". I don't have - and never have had - a "System update disk". I've
>> >tried downloading Windows installer from the internet and I installed

>that
>> >but it doesn't make any difference, I still get the message.
>> >If I click "cancel" twice then "my computer" and most progs still work

>but
>> >it's driving me nuts! Windows update is up to date by the way
>> >OS is 98SE. & pro is AMD 1200,
>> >

>> http://tinyurl.com/p33m
>> will help
>>
>> HTH
>>

>Thanks for the help but it's definitely not infected. Got a brand new, up to
>date, authentic Norton AV3 on and has been repeatedly checked.

Not infected maybe but damaged maybe :/
Registry Repair Tool
http://a64.g.akamai.net/7/64/2015/20...avert/undo.reg

This site has tools, but there may be a long download delay:
https://www.europe.f-secure.com/v-descs/swen.shtml

--
Free Windows/PC help,
It's a G not a J in jmx to reply

Buffalo

"Steffi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:blb7e5$btk$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Shep> Thanks for the help but it's definitely not infected. Got a brand

new, up to
> date, authentic Norton AV3 on and has been repeatedly checked.

Did this problem start just after you installed or uninstalled any program,
including Norton?
Try downloading, installing, UPDATING, and running these free programs:

AdAware
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

Spybot Search & Destroy
http://security.kolla.de/

Spyware Blaster

Mark F.

Don Schmidt <(E-Mail Removed)_address> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> It sounds like your computer has Windows 98 SE that was Updated from

the
> Windows 98SE Update disk. The computer is probably asking for it to
> repair/replace some damaged or missing files.
>

> --
> Don
> Vancouver, USA, a great city in one of the 45+ countries in America!

It doesn't matter which "type" of CD you use as long as it is the same
version (e.g., Win98, Win98SE). Both types are full OEM with all files
and I have used both types for full installations. When the upgrade
prompts you for a previous copy insert the other version in the CDROM
drive and point to that drive. This person may have a preloaded OS and
there may be a bulk installation disk(s) with the OS and drivers, games,
extras, that came with the PC. Compaq's have these "all in one" CD's.
Some preloaded systems have the entire Win98 cab set on the hard drive.

I would start with a registry restore in DOS first from the startup
diskette.