Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Windows Messenger Pop Ups

Windows Messenger Pop Ups

Jack Barrett

I keep getting pop ups that tell that Windows Messenger in vulnerable to
hacking!
How do I turn off Windows Messenger?
I thought my Firewall (ZA Free)would stop messenger hacking??
Help & Suggestions welcome!

Thanks,

Jack Barrett
http://windsurf_2.tripod.com

DaveW

"Jack Barrett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:nrMcb.72$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I keep getting pop ups that tell that Windows Messenger in vulnerable to
> hacking!
> How do I turn off Windows Messenger?
> I thought my Firewall (ZA Free)would stop messenger hacking??
> Help & Suggestions welcome!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jack Barrett
> http://windsurf_2.tripod.com

You can use this to turn it on and off:
http://grc.com/stm/shootthemessenger.htm

To block using ZA, add UDP ports 1026 and 1027 to the block list.

Thor

Right-click "my computer" click "manage", locate the "services and
applicaions" section, and expand it. Double click the "services" section.
Find "messenger" in the right-pane list, and double-click that entry. Set
it's startup behavior to "disabled". Then click the "stop service" button to
disable it in this session. Click apply, and you are finished.

"Jack Barrett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:nrMcb.72$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I keep getting pop ups that tell that Windows Messenger in vulnerable to
> hacking!
> How do I turn off Windows Messenger?
> I thought my Firewall (ZA Free)would stop messenger hacking??
> Help & Suggestions welcome!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jack Barrett
> http://windsurf_2.tripod.com

Jack Barrett

Thank you for the tips!

Jack Barrett
http://windsurf_2.tripod.com

"Jack Barrett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:nrMcb.72$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I keep getting pop ups that tell that Windows Messenger in vulnerable to
> hacking!
> How do I turn off Windows Messenger?
> I thought my Firewall (ZA Free)would stop messenger hacking??
> Help & Suggestions welcome!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jack Barrett
> http://windsurf_2.tripod.com

Jack Barrett

What is Messenger used for?
Will it being disabled affect other programs in XP Pro?

Thanks Again.
Jack

"Jack Barrett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:nrMcb.72$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I keep getting pop ups that tell that Windows Messenger in vulnerable to
> hacking!
> How do I turn off Windows Messenger?
> I thought my Firewall (ZA Free)would stop messenger hacking??
> Help & Suggestions welcome!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jack Barrett
> http://windsurf_2.tripod.com

Thor

Not likely. Messenger is intended for sending pop-up messages to users over
a local network. The reason you see spam pop-ups from it, is that spammers
found a way to exploit a vulnerability in messenger to make it accept pop-up
commands from sources over the internet.

"Jack Barrett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:uQTcb.103$(E-Mail Removed)...
> What is Messenger used for?
> Will it being disabled affect other programs in XP Pro?
>
> Thanks Again.
> Jack
>

> "Jack Barrett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:nrMcb.72$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I keep getting pop ups that tell that Windows Messenger in vulnerable to
> > hacking!
> > How do I turn off Windows Messenger?
> > I thought my Firewall (ZA Free)would stop messenger hacking??
> > Help & Suggestions welcome!
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Jack Barrett
> > http://windsurf_2.tripod.com