Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Microsoft is bombing me! help! help!

Microsoft is bombing me! help! help!

len gardener

i have now gone into options, junk mail and checked to have all junk
mail deleted before i see it, this is the only way i can keep my
account from filling up tried with that option off last night and in
1/2 hour my account was full.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

http://home.dnet.aunz.com/gardnlen/

V W Wall

Heather wrote:

> Ditto, Todd. I keep emptying the Junk Folder coz my account is
> full......it is only the Trash Folder that Hotmail doesn't
> count......and Hotmail's lousy blocking is of no help. There are a
> gazillion subject lines and From addresses.....can't cover them all.
>
> I use a couple of phrases from the MS email in my OE Message Rules and
> they go directly to the Delete Box.

Netscape and MailWasher have a way to set up a filter which shunts off any
messages not specificaly addressed to you at your normal e-mail address.
Most of the fake Microsoft messages are not addressed to individuals, so
this works very well. Don't see how to do it in IE.

Virg Wall

~ Carl Edward Sagan ~

Heather

Hi Sandra......if you get this via email at home, please take your real
address out of the headers.

I put a dormant Yahoo address in the Reply To portion today (somewhat
hidden).......and within 3 hours Yahoo had 6.3 meg of Microsoft
viruses........so the spambots are working better than I thought.

Sorry I didn't see this till now......I was out most of the day. Put
"Cumulative Patch" in the Outlook Express Mail Rules.......and tick off
"in the body of the email" or similar wording......in the first box. I
also used the first 10 words or so of the email........in the same
place.

Using the From address is useless. As is using the To one.....even
though they are not addressed to me.....this doesn't seem to work in
Hotmail. Yahoo has better filtering than Hotmail, btw.

Then in the second box, tick off the following 3.......Delete, Mark as
Read, and Stop Processing More Rules......

That should fire them into your Deleted Items box and I usually check to
see how many are in there.

HTH.......Heather
"San" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> > I use a couple of phrases from the MS email in my OE Message Rules

and
> > they go directly to the Delete Box.
> >

> Heather,
> I've gotten over 500 of them today. Could you tell me what the couple

of
> phrases you used, were? I tried Microsoft, but like you said, there

are so
> many sender names.
>
> Also, I wondered if I have this worm, and I send out email, am I

infecting
> others?
>
> Does anyone know if this will just end itself, or is it necessary to
> download something to remove it?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sandra

Hjalmar Leon

SAme here. Everytime I check my e-mail I find 200 of those patches
Running norton AV does not do anything

news:bkhcon$1ce3$(E-Mail Removed)...
> so how the hell do you fix this
> "Nate Goulet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I have the same problem, getting tons of these type of messages today.
> >
> > Are we all in agreement that this is because the computer checking the
> > e-mail is infected with the Swen virus, or like many of the previous
> > viruses, the e-mail user's address is listed in someone's else's
> > address book who is infected?
> >
> > I checked my system registry, and didn't find a trace of the virus.
> > I also haven't seen any pop up windows from Microsoft or anything like
> > that.
> >

> > On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 13:45:56 GMT, Fogar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > >Hi,
> > >in few hours I have received 200 emails with attachements from
> > >Microsoft.
> > >
> > >Microsoft Critical Patch
> > >Current Security Upgrade
> > >Last Microsoft Update
> > >New Security Update and many others
> > >
> > >Surely it is a virus or worm. How can I deleye that virus?
> > >I have used some Tools come FixSbigF.exe, stinger.exe e FixKlez.com
> > >but without success. Is there a Tool for this virus or worm so that I
> > >can eliminate it?
> > >thanks Fogar

Bill

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 06:46:45 GMT, "Hjalmar Leon"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>SAme here. Everytime I check my e-mail I find 200 of those patches
>Running norton AV does not do anything

You mean it doesn't detect them when you download your email? That's
about the extent of what it's expected to do.

Plato

Hjalmar Leon wrote:

> SAme here. Everytime I check my e-mail I find 200 of those patches
> Running norton AV does not do anything

Norton is NOT an email monitor.

Hank

"Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
news:3f6d4f46$0$70450$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hjalmar Leon wrote:
> >
> > SAme here. Everytime I check my e-mail I find 200 of those patches
> > Running norton AV does not do anything

> Norton is NOT an email monitor.

It WILL scan incoming and out going emails though.
So what is your definition of a monitor then?

Hank

San

"Heather" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:yxbbb.77239$(E-Mail Removed) e.rogers.com...
> Hi Sandra......if you get this via email at home, please take your real
> address out of the headers.

Hi Heather,
Thanks for that help.
First, I went to google several places and could not find where/how to take
my real address out.

Put
> "Cumulative Patch" in the Outlook Express Mail Rules.......and tick off

Did you put the words 'Cumulative Patch' before the other words in each one,
because I didn't understand that, and just wrote as many of the words in the
header as I could.

I did this for about ten of them....there are so many different addresses.

And as soon as I delete what's there, hundreds more download. Yesterday, I
received about.... literally, a thousand or more. It's been hundreds already
this morning. I had blocked the Microsoft ones, and they seem to be mostly
these 'undeliverable' things now.

>Then in the second box, tick off the following 3.......Delete, Mark as
> Read, and Stop Processing More Rules......

I didn't see this direction "Stop Processing More Rules". I have OE.

I tried to follow directions from another post about the 'regedit' box, but
I keep getting an error box saying, "Error Occurred Memory access violation
in module kernel 32 at 8833:99241418".

Do you know what that means? I've gotten it other times too

Thanks,
Sandra

> > Also, I wondered if I have this worm, and I send out email, am I

> infecting
> > others?
> >
> > Does anyone know if this will just end itself, or is it necessary to
> > download something to remove it?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Sandra

San

"Heather" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:yxbbb.77239$(E-Mail Removed) e.rogers.com...
> Hi Sandra......if you get this via email at home, please take your real
> address out of the headers.

Hi Heather,
Thanks for that help.
First, I went to google several places and could not find where/how to take
my real address out.

Put
> "Cumulative Patch" in the Outlook Express Mail Rules.......and tick off

Did you put the words 'Cumulative Patch' before the other words in each one,
because I didn't understand that, and just wrote as many of the words in the
header as I could.

I did this for about ten of them....there are so many different addresses.

And as soon as I delete what's there, hundreds more download. Yesterday, I
received about.... literally, a thousand or more. It's been hundreds already
this morning. I had blocked the Microsoft ones, and they seem to be mostly
these 'undeliverable' things now.

>Then in the second box, tick off the following 3.......Delete, Mark as
> Read, and Stop Processing More Rules......

I didn't see this direction "Stop Processing More Rules". I have OE.

I tried to follow directions from another post about the 'regedit' box, but
I keep getting an error box saying, "Error Occurred Memory access violation
in module kernel 32 at 8833:99241418".

Do you know what that means? I've gotten it other times too

Thanks,
Sandra

> > Also, I wondered if I have this worm, and I send out email, am I

> infecting
> > others?
> >
> > Does anyone know if this will just end itself, or is it necessary to
> > download something to remove it?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Sandra

Thor

"San" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Heather" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:yxbbb.77239$(E-Mail Removed) e.rogers.com...
> > Hi Sandra......if you get this via email at home, please take your real
> > address out of the headers.

> Hi Heather,
> Thanks for that help.
> First, I went to google several places and could not find where/how to

take
> my real address out.
>

> Put
> > "Cumulative Patch" in the Outlook Express Mail Rules.......and tick off

> Did you put the words 'Cumulative Patch' before the other words in each

one,
> because I didn't understand that, and just wrote as many of the words in

the
> header as I could.

It goes by exact words or phrases. If you put a bunch of words on the same
line in the message rule box, then the message will have to contain *all* of
those words for it to apply the message rule. You want to make it less
discriminating than that. Start with cumulative patch then click "add", then
on to the next word or phrase in the subject header, then click "add". etc.
That way, if the message contains *any* of the words and phrases you listed,
it will apply the message rule. You have to be careful that you don't put
words in there that will cause the message rules to filter legitemate
messages. The words must be unique to those messages, or at least ones that
rarely occur in your legitemate email.

> I did this for about ten of them....there are so many different addresses.

Don't waste time trying to filter based on email addresses. Filter based on
common keywords in every one of these junk emails. If most, or all of them
say "cumulative patch" somewhere in the subject, or body, that criteria
alone should be enough to wipe most of them out if you filter based on that
specific phrase. If you get some that say "undeliverable", use that word as
a message rule filter, and you should get rid of those as well.