Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Microsoft is bombing me! help! help!

Microsoft is bombing me! help! help!

Plato

Fogar wrote:

> in few hours I have received 200 emails with attachements from
> Microsoft.

NOPE. You didnt receive a single email from MS.

http://www.bootdisk.com/bootlist/116.htm#5

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

leslie

len brauer ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote:
: where does all this e/mail generate from is it just randomly sent from
: somewhere like spam mail? or is it generating from a friends computer
: which could be infected?
:
: just yesterday this stuff starting filling up my hotmail junk box and
: using up all my storage.
:

It's just another worm exploiting holes in Microsoft's alleged software:

http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/swen.shtml
F-Secure Computer Virus Information Pages: Swen

"...Spreading in e-mails and to newsgroups

The worm periodically scans HTML and ASP files on a hard drive and
stores found e-mail addresses in the GERMS0.DBV file located in
Windows folder. The worm also reads .EML, .DBX, .WAB, and .MBX files
and fetches e-mail addresses from there. The worm does not fetch
addresses containing 'delete' and 'spam' strings.

The worm also can search for e-mail addresses in various newsgroups.
It connects to NNTP servers listed in the SWEN1.DAT file, gets a list
of all newsgroups on that server and searches recent messages in these
newsgroups for 'nfrom:' and 'nreply-to:' tags. When such tags are
found, the worm gets e-mail addressed after them and writes them to
the GERMS0.DBV file. This way the worm can harvers a lot of e-mail
addresses to send itself to.

The worm can post its e-mails to newsgroups, the names of which it
finds during searching process. The worm sends the same kind of
messages as it sends via e-mail.

The worm reads SMTP server address and user name from the Registry.
However, if it can't find this info, it shows a fake MAPI error dialog
asking a user to input that data:

The worm sends itself a very legitimately-looking messages that are
composed from different text strings hardcoded in the worm's body.
Here is an example of such message:..."

--Jerry Leslie
Note: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) is invalid for email

Bill

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 05:03:52 +1000, len brauer <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>just yesterday this stuff starting filling up my hotmail junk box and
>using up all my storage.

Microsoft doesn't count what is in your junk email folder against your
MB limit. Therefore, it shoudn't matter.

len gardener

g'day bill that is what i thought as well but all these posts were in
my junk mail folder as there was only a couple of legit e/m's in my
inbox and they were around 1 to 2 k each, and i had this big red
message telling me my storage was dangerously low or had been used up
and then i find 15+++ of these 114 to 115k e/m's in my junk folder.
when i emptied the junk folder my storage was restored.

ta

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

http://home.dnet.aunz.com/gardnlen/

Robert Lee

In article <CASab.53155$(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) (leslie) wrote:

> It's just another worm exploiting holes in Microsoft's alleged software:

You can't really blame this one on MS. It's exploiting a security hole
that was patched *two years ago.* Anybody who gets this is pretty much
their own worst enemy.

--Robert

--
Do not sit next to Dennis

Mike

so how the hell do you fix this
"Nate Goulet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have the same problem, getting tons of these type of messages today.
>
> Are we all in agreement that this is because the computer checking the
> e-mail is infected with the Swen virus, or like many of the previous
> viruses, the e-mail user's address is listed in someone's else's
> address book who is infected?
>
> I checked my system registry, and didn't find a trace of the virus.
> I also haven't seen any pop up windows from Microsoft or anything like
> that.
>

> On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 13:45:56 GMT, Fogar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >in few hours I have received 200 emails with attachements from
> >Microsoft.
> >
> >Microsoft Critical Patch
> >Current Security Upgrade
> >Last Microsoft Update
> >New Security Update and many others
> >
> >Surely it is a virus or worm. How can I deleye that virus?
> >I have used some Tools come FixSbigF.exe, stinger.exe e FixKlez.com
> >but without success. Is there a Tool for this virus or worm so that I
> >can eliminate it?
> >thanks Fogar

Todd Howard

Actually yes it does.....my account is full and I have none in my inbox....all crap in my junkbox...
TH
"Bill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 05:03:52 +1000, len brauer <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >just yesterday this stuff starting filling up my hotmail junk box and
> >using up all my storage.

> Microsoft doesn't count what is in your junk email folder against your
> MB limit. Therefore, it shoudn't matter.

Chad Irby

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
Robert Lee <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> You can't really blame this one on MS. It's exploiting a security hole
> that was patched *two years ago.* Anybody who gets this is pretty much
> their own worst enemy.

Yeah, because every user in the US is completely qualified and educated
about all of the massive holes in Microsoft software.

Especially with Microsoft's legendary security...

cirby at cfl.rr.com

Slam on brakes accordingly.

Heather

Ditto, Todd. I keep emptying the Junk Folder coz my account is
full......it is only the Trash Folder that Hotmail doesn't
count......and Hotmail's lousy blocking is of no help. There are a
gazillion subject lines and From addresses.....can't cover them all.

I use a couple of phrases from the MS email in my OE Message Rules and
they go directly to the Delete Box.

Heather

"Todd Howard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:6PYab.1001683$(E-Mail Removed) .ca...
> Actually yes it does.....my account is full and I have none in my

inbox....all crap in my junkbox...
> TH
> "Bill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 05:03:52 +1000, len brauer

<(E-Mail Removed)>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >just yesterday this stuff starting filling up my hotmail junk box

and
> > >using up all my storage.

> > Microsoft doesn't count what is in your junk email folder against

your
> > MB limit. Therefore, it shoudn't matter.

San

> I use a couple of phrases from the MS email in my OE Message Rules and
> they go directly to the Delete Box.

Heather,
I've gotten over 500 of them today. Could you tell me what the couple of
phrases you used, were? I tried Microsoft, but like you said, there are so
many sender names.

Also, I wondered if I have this worm, and I send out email, am I infecting
others?

Does anyone know if this will just end itself, or is it necessary to
download something to remove it?

Thanks,

Sandra