Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > OE d/l and 'Start' button slow down

OE d/l and 'Start' button slow down

Jules

I've reinstalled W2K Pro (no problems with last installation) on my disk 1
without problems. My data is stored on disk 2.
Now when I am downloading binary files with OE6, the blue bar would get to
around 80% of downloading before stopping for 5 seconds and then carrying on
to finish downloading the file. Previously no problems. When I hit the
'Start' button for the first time since boot up, it will take about 10
seconds to react. Some shortcuts take around the same amonut of time to
react. All the data and shortcuts were preserved from the last
installation. I did have to reclaim all the volumes with my new account.
I've patched everything, scanned with the latest Norton virus defs and
nothing has come up. Can anyone shed some light please?

HF

"Jules" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:N5Cab.3374$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've reinstalled W2K Pro (no problems with last installation) on my disk 1
> without problems. My data is stored on disk 2.
> Now when I am downloading binary files with OE6, the blue bar would get to
> around 80% of downloading before stopping for 5 seconds and then carrying

on
> to finish downloading the file. Previously no problems. When I hit the
> 'Start' button for the first time since boot up, it will take about 10
> seconds to react. Some shortcuts take around the same amonut of time to
> react. All the data and shortcuts were preserved from the last
> installation. I did have to reclaim all the volumes with my new account.
> I've patched everything, scanned with the latest Norton virus defs and
> nothing has come up. Can anyone shed some light please?

HF

Dear oh Dear
"Jules" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:N5Cab.3374$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've reinstalled W2K Pro (no problems with last installation) on my disk 1
> without problems. My data is stored on disk 2.
> Now when I am downloading binary files with OE6, the blue bar would get to
> around 80% of downloading before stopping for 5 seconds and then carrying

on
> to finish downloading the file. Previously no problems. When I hit the
> 'Start' button for the first time since boot up, it will take about 10
> seconds to react. Some shortcuts take around the same amonut of time to
> react. All the data and shortcuts were preserved from the last
> installation. I did have to reclaim all the volumes with my new account.
> I've patched everything, scanned with the latest Norton virus defs and
> nothing has come up. Can anyone shed some light please?

Plato

Jules wrote:

> I've reinstalled W2K Pro (no problems with last installation) on my disk 1
> without problems. My data is stored on disk 2.
> Now when I am downloading binary files with OE6, the blue bar would get to
> around 80% of downloading before stopping for 5 seconds and then carrying on
> to finish downloading the file. Previously no problems. When I hit the
> 'Start' button for the first time since boot up, it will take about 10
> seconds to react. Some shortcuts take around the same amonut of time to

You have a hard drive space problem or a spyware problem. Got at least 1
gig free on all your hard drives???

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Jules

System disk 40GB is around 60% full across 2 partitions, with 50% full on
boot partition. Data is stored on disk 2 -80GB, which is around 50% full
across 4 partitons, all defragged to less than 10% fragmentation. If its
spyware, will NAV Corp pick it up? The pc in question sits in a domain with
a firewall on the pdc which is also the internet gateway, the firewall
should pick up spyware traffic going out no?

"Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
news:3f6beec5$0$38108$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Jules wrote:
> >
> > I've reinstalled W2K Pro (no problems with last installation) on my disk

1
> > without problems. My data is stored on disk 2.
> > Now when I am downloading binary files with OE6, the blue bar would get

> > around 80% of downloading before stopping for 5 seconds and then

carrying on
> > to finish downloading the file. Previously no problems. When I hit the
> > 'Start' button for the first time since boot up, it will take about 10
> > seconds to react. Some shortcuts take around the same amonut of time to

> You have a hard drive space problem or a spyware problem. Got at least 1
> gig free on all your hard drives???
>

> --
> http://www.bootdisk.com/

NAV doesn't pick up spyware. You need a program like Ad Aware or Spybot
Search and Destroy. Both are available free at www.download.com. Your
firewall may pick up the spyware traffic, but a possibility could be that
these programs are active in the background. I'm not sure it will solve your
problem or not, but IMO, spyware removal software has become as important as
virus software. Two good sites to learn about spyware are:

www.spywareinfo.com and www.cexx.org.

Chris

"Jules" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gr4bb.596$%(E-Mail Removed)...
> System disk 40GB is around 60% full across 2 partitions, with 50% full on
> boot partition. Data is stored on disk 2 -80GB, which is around 50% full
> across 4 partitons, all defragged to less than 10% fragmentation. If its
> spyware, will NAV Corp pick it up? The pc in question sits in a domain

with
> a firewall on the pdc which is also the internet gateway, the firewall
> should pick up spyware traffic going out no?
>

> "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
> news:3f6beec5$0$38108$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Jules wrote:
> > >
> > > I've reinstalled W2K Pro (no problems with last installation) on my

disk
> 1
> > > without problems. My data is stored on disk 2.
> > > Now when I am downloading binary files with OE6, the blue bar would

get
> > > around 80% of downloading before stopping for 5 seconds and then

> carrying on
> > > to finish downloading the file. Previously no problems. When I hit

the
> > > 'Start' button for the first time since boot up, it will take about 10
> > > seconds to react. Some shortcuts take around the same amonut of time

> > You have a hard drive space problem or a spyware problem. Got at least 1
> > gig free on all your hard drives???
> >

> > --
> > http://www.bootdisk.com/

Plato

Jules wrote:

> System disk 40GB is around 60% full across 2 partitions, with 50% full on
> boot partition. Data is stored on disk 2 -80GB, which is around 50% full
> across 4 partitons, all defragged to less than 10% fragmentation. If its
> spyware, will NAV Corp pick it up? The pc in question sits in a domain with
> a firewall on the pdc which is also the internet gateway, the firewall
> should pick up spyware traffic going out no?

Spyware is not covered by anti-virus programs because they are not
viruses. And get this, the new trojans attempt and may, [tho I havent
verified] disable your firewall for their particular functions. Thing is
caution as your anti-virus wont do the most recent trojans until they
write the code to to so in their update.