Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Got the new hard drive...

Got the new hard drive...

Ingme

> >>I have already posted that (as also noted from the same site of the
> > link),
> >>and although not as critical as it once was, CD and HD would be better

> > if
> >>they can be seperated on on their own channels...

> > We all seem to be in agreement on that.
> >

> We all aren't, as I don't agree with that in the least.

At least give some reasons (maybe we'll all learn something new...)

Peter D

DeMoN LaG wrote in message ...
>"Peter D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>newsh74b.872970$(E-Mail Removed) .ca:
>
>>>I have already posted that (as also noted from the same site of the

>> link),
>>>and although not as critical as it once was, CD and HD would be

better
>> if
>>>they can be seperated on on their own channels...

>> We all seem to be in agreement on that.
>>

>We all aren't, as I don't agree with that in the least.

Do you have a reason, or is it just a personal preference?

derek / nul

Lesson of throughput.

1. a single ide drive on a single ide channel can transfer more data that 2
drives on one channel.
The reason for this:-

They cannot overlap seeks and reads
They cannot interleave i/o's (reads and writes)

System configuration

If you have 2 devices

hd on primary
cd on secondary

if you have 3 devices

hd primary master
reader primary slave
burner secondary master

if you have 4 devices

hd primary master
reader primary slave

hd secondary master
burner secondary slave.

On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 20:59:26 GMT, "Peter D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Do you have a reason, or is it just a personal preference?

Ingme

"derek / nul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Lesson of throughput.
>
> 1. a single ide drive on a single ide channel can transfer more data that

2
> drives on one channel.

---stuff omitted to save space---

...Okay, you're talking about when you have 2 hd vs. 1 cd, 2 hd vs 0 cd,
etc....we were only talking about the situation with 1 HD and 1 CD, so I can
see your point. And yes, every situation has different rules, not one rule
for all situations (that point should have been made).

A link that describes that better (not my opinion)..

http://www.storagereview.com/guide20...endations.html

Peter D

derek / nul wrote in message
<(E-Mail Removed)>...
>Lesson of throughput.
>
>1. a single ide drive on a single ide channel can transfer more data

that 2
>drives on one channel.
>The reason for this:-
>
>They cannot overlap seeks and reads
>They cannot interleave i/o's (reads and writes)
>
>System configuration
>
>If you have 2 devices
>
>hd on primary
>cd on secondary
>
>if you have 3 devices
>
>hd primary master
>reader primary slave
>burner secondary master
>
>if you have 4 devices
>
>hd primary master
>reader primary slave
>
>hd secondary master
>burner secondary slave.

It still looks like a personal preference or a case of the above being
'perfect' for a specific situation. Why should everyone cable as you
prefer?

On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 05:16:22 GMT, "Peter D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>It still looks like a personal preference or a case of the above being
>'perfect' for a specific situation. Why should everyone cable as you
>prefer?

If you would like to discuss throughput, please do.

If not, you may do as you please.

No compulsion here.

Derek