Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Sobig worm - Second Wave

Sobig worm - Second Wave

Will Denny

Hi Kraftee

Don't go to bed yet. The 'over the pond' posters are just about to come online. I'll catch in the morning (monday now I suppose).

Will

"Kraftee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:BDx1b.2201$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Will Denny wrote:
> > Hey Kraftee
> >
> > Good posting, although I would to disagree with you on your comment
> > about 'the unwashed'. You have to remember that a lot of XP users
> > are 'upgraders', some from Win 95, and have to take XP very
> > carefully.

> That used to be true, but not anymore as XP Home appears to be the OS
> of choice with all new machines now so the uninitiated are thrown in
> the deep end as soon as they buy a PC...
> >
> > You couldn't/didn't help your colleague at work - no wonder the
> > 'nasty' has spread so rapidly. 'virgin' install, not a 'clean'
> > install - I know that you will tell me the difference.

> Same difference, installs which have never even seen the Update page,
> any update page in fact (AV or Firewall either)
> >
> > In reference to your last paragraph - are you learning or helping?

> If any of us are honest it's got to be both as no one knows everything
> & anybody who thinks they do knows nothing, hopefully the day I stop
> will be the day I'm dead...
>
> Anyway I was going to bed 45 minutes ago, but I've been enjoying this
> to much to leave.
>
> Wonder if anybody has noticed any degrading of the network for the
> last few hours (due to Sobig) I know I haven't but then again I
> haven't really looked as my favourite site has dissapeared over the
> last few days anyway...
>
> I've said it before nite nite, the nurse will have a go at me tomorrow
> if she finds out :-S
> --
> B-)
> Life is pain.....
> Deal with it!!

---

Tina - AffordableHOST.com

If you're referring to my comment, its "Unknown file attachments" that you
shouldn't blindly open. Find out who sent it to you, and why, and then scan
and open.

--Tina
--
http://www.AffordableHOST.com
20% Discount Code: newsgroup

"PCyr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> No! No! No! I never implied not to scan attachments. She was making it
> sound like you never, ever download attachments, ever.
>
> --
> Check out http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com for amazing tweaks and fixes
>
> Member of "Newsgroups are for everyone" (Perdita X. Twitt is a
> self-appointed, self-righteous, ruthless, bitchy net-cop too!)
>
> Email address is fake to prevent SPAM.
> Real email address is pcyr2000 AT hotmail DOT com
> Change the obvious to the obvious.
> ------------------
> "slumpy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bi63dh$5m1vb$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> > "So, Mr Slumpy you *really* are the perpetual comedian, aren't you ?" I
> > threw back my head and roared with laughter as PCyr continued:
> >
> > > I agree that everything is a suspect, but it doesn't mean you can't
> > > EVER open attachments, as she says.

> > Doesn't take much to save and scan tho. Seems there are too many

ignorami
> > out there all claiming to be 'savvy'.
> > --
> > slumpy
> > no more
> > no less
> > just slumpy

Firebird81

one of my home machines got hit this week. Girlfriend opened an attachment
from my mom without noticing that the from address showed her e-mail address
instead of her name ( as we've set it up) and said wicked screen saver--70
year o ld women don't title e-mails wicked screen saver, anyway, luckily the
network code is bugged and it was isolated to one machine--I have an entire
lab set up in this house--can't get over my IT ways!

Kraftee

slumpy wrote:
> "So, Mr Slumpy you *really* are the perpetual comedian, aren't you
> ?" I threw back my head and roared with laughter as Tina -
> AffordableHOST.com continued:

>>> No! No! No! I never implied not to scan attachments. She was
>>> making it sound like you never, ever download attachments, ever.

>> If you're referring to my comment, its "Unknown file attachments"
>> that you shouldn't blindly open. Find out who sent it to you, and
>> why, and then scan and open.

> Nothing worse than reading "well my son, who knows *all* about
> computers, he sent me this screensaver called 'your details' and
> since then my machine is running slow. It can't be a virus tho,
> because my son...etc etc etc".
>
> Maybe it's time to bring out a licence for computer use online

Amen ;o)

--
B-)
Life is pain.....