Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > What scanner do you suggest ?

What scanner do you suggest ?

Marisa

Hi

I am looking to get a new scanner. I have had two Scanport
models and both were ok. I now know the things necessary to
work a scanner with my computer and am looking for something
with a USB connection. I do not want a parallel port or feel

that I can put in an ASCII card. The scanner I currently
have is a Scanport 3000 and it has a USB connection but
recently the
connection has not been working. I believe it is because my
kitten did a little chewing on the cable. I thought I would
simply
replace it and found that the cord in wired into the
scanner. I use a scanner daily to scan black and white
photos for sale and it
is a necessity. Any suggestions would be greatly
appreciated. I guess my next stop is the Consumers Buying
Guide.

Thanks in advance

--

~~ The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken
by hatching the

~~ Visit Leatherwood
http://www.my-g-spot.com/leatherwood.html

"Marisa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
>
> I am looking to get a new scanner. I have had two Scanport
> models and both were ok. I now know the things necessary to
> work a scanner with my computer and am looking for something
> with a USB connection. I do not want a parallel port or feel
>
> that I can put in an ASCII card. The scanner I currently
> have is a Scanport 3000 and it has a USB connection but
> recently the
> connection has not been working. I believe it is because my
> kitten did a little chewing on the cable. I thought I would
> simply
> replace it and found that the cord in wired into the
> scanner. I use a scanner daily to scan black and white
> photos for sale and it
> is a necessity. Any suggestions would be greatly
> appreciated. I guess my next stop is the Consumers Buying
> Guide.
>
> Thanks in advance

Marisa,

If you are looking for an inexpensive scanner, try Microtek. They scan
pretty decent and can be had very cheaply. For what you are doing though, I
would recommend one of the Epson Photo scanners. Some of them come with a
negative scanner as well, which will give you even better picture quality
than your B&W prints. The Epson's are a bit more pricey, but they also make
absolutely beautiful scans.

Chris

Ron Snow

I second the Epson suggestion. Been using the Epson Prefection1650 Photo for
several months. Does a great scan.

Greg Rice

I tried a MicroTek a couple of years ago and found that it didn't process
the blacks very well. Sent it back. Bought an HP. Everything I used was a
SCSI - however USB should work fine - maybe a little slower.

"Marisa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
>
> I am looking to get a new scanner. I have had two Scanport
> models and both were ok. I now know the things necessary to
> work a scanner with my computer and am looking for something
> with a USB connection. I do not want a parallel port or feel
>
> that I can put in an ASCII card. The scanner I currently
> have is a Scanport 3000 and it has a USB connection but
> recently the
> connection has not been working. I believe it is because my
> kitten did a little chewing on the cable. I thought I would
> simply
> replace it and found that the cord in wired into the
> scanner. I use a scanner daily to scan black and white
> photos for sale and it
> is a necessity. Any suggestions would be greatly
> appreciated. I guess my next stop is the Consumers Buying
> Guide.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> --
>
> ~~ The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken
> by hatching the
> egg, not by smashing it open. Arnold H. Glasgow, U.S.
> psychologist ~~
>

> ~~ Visit Leatherwood
> http://www.my-g-spot.com/leatherwood.html

Thor

"Greg Rice" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:FOM_a.14346$(E-Mail Removed) hlink.net...
> I tried a MicroTek a couple of years ago and found that it didn't process
> the blacks very well. Sent it back. Bought an HP. Everything I used was a
> SCSI - however USB should work fine - maybe a little slower.

Get a USB 2.0 scanner. They are quite fast.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Greg Rice" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:FOM_a.14346$(E-Mail Removed) hlink.net...
> > I tried a MicroTek a couple of years ago and found that it didn't

process
> > the blacks very well. Sent it back. Bought an HP. Everything I used was

> > SCSI - however USB should work fine - maybe a little slower.

> Get a USB 2.0 scanner. They are quite fast.

As long as the person has USB 2.0 support on their PC. There are still a lot
of systems out there that don't support it. They can add a USB 2.0 card, of
course.

Chris

Lenny

The Epson Perfection series.

"Marisa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
>
> I am looking to get a new scanner. I have had two Scanport
> models and both were ok. I now know the things necessary to
> work a scanner with my computer and am looking for something
> with a USB connection. I do not want a parallel port or feel
>
> that I can put in an ASCII card. The scanner I currently
> have is a Scanport 3000 and it has a USB connection but
> recently the
> connection has not been working. I believe it is because my
> kitten did a little chewing on the cable. I thought I would
> simply
> replace it and found that the cord in wired into the
> scanner. I use a scanner daily to scan black and white
> photos for sale and it
> is a necessity. Any suggestions would be greatly
> appreciated. I guess my next stop is the Consumers Buying
> Guide.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> --
>
> ~~ The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken
> by hatching the
> egg, not by smashing it open. Arnold H. Glasgow, U.S.
> psychologist ~~
>

> ~~ Visit Leatherwood
> http://www.my-g-spot.com/leatherwood.html

Thor

"c" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:f7T_a.93020$(E-Mail Removed)-kc.rr.com...

> "Thor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "Greg Rice" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:FOM_a.14346$(E-Mail Removed) hlink.net...
> > > I tried a MicroTek a couple of years ago and found that it didn't

> process
> > > the blacks very well. Sent it back. Bought an HP. Everything I used

was
> > > SCSI - however USB should work fine - maybe a little slower.

> > Get a USB 2.0 scanner. They are quite fast.
> >

> As long as the person has USB 2.0 support on their PC. There are still a

lot
> of systems out there that don't support it. They can add a USB 2.0 card,

of
> course.

Yes, that's true of course. I neglected to mention that. But they can be as
fast as any SCSI scanner I've seen.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "c" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:f7T_a.93020$(E-Mail Removed)-kc.rr.com...
> >
> > "Thor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > >
> > > "Greg Rice" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:FOM_a.14346$(E-Mail Removed) hlink.net...

> > process

> was
> > >
> > > Get a USB 2.0 scanner. They are quite fast.
> > >

> > As long as the person has USB 2.0 support on their PC. There are still a

> lot
> > of systems out there that don't support it. They can add a USB 2.0 card,

> of
> > course.

> Yes, that's true of course. I neglected to mention that. But they can be

as
> fast as any SCSI scanner I've seen.

Yup, USB 2 is a good thing.

Chris

Graham Butcher

I think you take a look Canon, they do a great range of USB scanners that
draw their power via the USB and also some come in USB2 versions. They are
great for scanning photographs with automatic scratch and dust removal tools
etc. Remember Canon are leaders in cameras and a scanner is an optical
device, right? So it stands to reason that you should at least look at these
1st as the others already mentioned are better known for their printers then
anything else.

I have had a Microtek 1200 x 2400 scanner and promptly returned it is was
rubbish when compared against a lowly 600 x 1200 Canon which I already had.
I them promtly purchased a 1200 x 2400 Canon and the differance was
impressive, I certainly do not regret sticking to Canon and neither will
you.

Graham.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...