Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > What scanner do you suggest ?

What scanner do you suggest ?

AVP

Thank you all for your input. I am now about to take a hammer to
this thing. I guess I will go with the most inexpensive right
now except I have ruled out the Microtek. My guy just had his
knee operated on and so much is up in the air. I wish I could
take the two I currently have and produce one that would at
least work right now. I know that my scans are hurting the
income I get when auctioning but the show must go on. I guess I
would be shocked to see how clear an image could be with a real
scanner. I don't think my computer is compatible with the
USB2.0 but that would be great. I don't know why but I am leery
of my ability to put in an SCSI card and with my luck my whole
system would crash. Again thank you very much. If you want to
see some of the scans back when it worked you can check them out
at the link below. I don't want to give a link to any auctions
because that might be frowned on in the group but if you are
interested in seeing the quality you can get there from my site.
--

Marisa

--

~~ The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by
hatching the
egg, not by smashing it open. Arnold H. Glasgow, U.S.
psychologist ~~

~~ Visit Leatherwood
http://www.my-g-spot.com/leatherwood.html

Night_Seer

If your looking for cheap, the canoscan LIDE is going for forty bucks (I
bought my dad one for Christmas and paid 100) and it works great. I think
they are using USB 2.0 now as well. Check it out.

--
Night_Seer
"AVP" <"nospa,lthrwood"@epix.net> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thank you all for your input. I am now about to take a hammer to
> this thing. I guess I will go with the most inexpensive right
> now except I have ruled out the Microtek. My guy just had his
> knee operated on and so much is up in the air. I wish I could
> take the two I currently have and produce one that would at
> least work right now. I know that my scans are hurting the
> income I get when auctioning but the show must go on. I guess I
> would be shocked to see how clear an image could be with a real
> scanner. I don't think my computer is compatible with the
> USB2.0 but that would be great. I don't know why but I am leery
> of my ability to put in an SCSI card and with my luck my whole
> system would crash. Again thank you very much. If you want to
> see some of the scans back when it worked you can check them out
> at the link below. I don't want to give a link to any auctions
> because that might be frowned on in the group but if you are
> interested in seeing the quality you can get there from my site.
> --
>

> Marisa
>
> Marisa wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > I am looking to get a new scanner. I have had two Scanport
> > models and both were ok. I now know the things necessary to
> > work a scanner with my computer and am looking for something
> > with a USB connection. I do not want a parallel port or feel
> >
> > that I can put in an ASCII card. The scanner I currently
> > have is a Scanport 3000 and it has a USB connection but
> > recently the
> > connection has not been working. I believe it is because my
> > kitten did a little chewing on the cable. I thought I would
> > simply
> > replace it and found that the cord in wired into the
> > scanner. I use a scanner daily to scan black and white
> > photos for sale and it
> > is a necessity. Any suggestions would be greatly
> > appreciated. I guess my next stop is the Consumers Buying
> > Guide.
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> >
> > --
> >
> > ~~ The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken
> > by hatching the
> > egg, not by smashing it open. Arnold H. Glasgow, U.S.
> > psychologist ~~
> >
> > ~~ Visit Leatherwood
> > http://www.my-g-spot.com/leatherwood.html

> --
>
> ~~ The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by
> hatching the
> egg, not by smashing it open. Arnold H. Glasgow, U.S.
> psychologist ~~
>

> ~~ Visit Leatherwood
> http://www.my-g-spot.com/leatherwood.html

rb

Ron, last night I just bought a Lexmark X1150m trio. It's a scanner,
printer, copier. It was 88 bucks brand new. The scans are beautiful on it.
It says 48 bit color scanning. I did a few photos with it and the quality
was unreal. Very cheap too and prints excellent. Not to mention, it uses
color and black cartridges (included) at the same time.
Lexmark is el cheapo, but I more than got my money's worth. The scanning is
fast too, but I can only compare it to an older one that my father had a few
years back.
"Ron Snow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I second the Epson suggestion. Been using the Epson Prefection1650 Photo

for
> several months. Does a great scan.

Thor

how much do you pay for new cartridges? Bet you haven't had the pleasure of
doing that yet.

That's the issue I have with lexmark. They are usually over $30, which is
even more extreme than other overpriced ink carts.

"rb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fV62b.1998$(E-Mail Removed) m...
> Ron, last night I just bought a Lexmark X1150m trio. It's a scanner,
> printer, copier. It was 88 bucks brand new. The scans are beautiful on

it.
> It says 48 bit color scanning. I did a few photos with it and the quality
> was unreal. Very cheap too and prints excellent. Not to mention, it uses
> color and black cartridges (included) at the same time.
> Lexmark is el cheapo, but I more than got my money's worth. The scanning

is
> fast too, but I can only compare it to an older one that my father had a

few
> years back.
> "Ron Snow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I second the Epson suggestion. Been using the Epson Prefection1650 Photo

> for
> > several months. Does a great scan.

rb

It included a black and a color cartridge, so haven't had to buy one yet but
they are 30 bucks each. Don't need any cartridge for scanning though, so is
a nice bonus for the original poster. Plus it's USB, so glad to get away
from parallel port.
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> how much do you pay for new cartridges? Bet you haven't had the pleasure

of
> doing that yet.
>
> That's the issue I have with lexmark. They are usually over $30, which is
> even more extreme than other overpriced ink carts.
>

> ..
> "rb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:fV62b.1998$(E-Mail Removed) m...
> > Ron, last night I just bought a Lexmark X1150m trio. It's a scanner,
> > printer, copier. It was 88 bucks brand new. The scans are beautiful on

> it.
> > It says 48 bit color scanning. I did a few photos with it and the

quality
> > was unreal. Very cheap too and prints excellent. Not to mention, it

uses
> > color and black cartridges (included) at the same time.
> > Lexmark is el cheapo, but I more than got my money's worth. The

scanning
> is
> > fast too, but I can only compare it to an older one that my father had a

> few
> > years back.
> > "Ron Snow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > I second the Epson suggestion. Been using the Epson Prefection1650

Photo
> > for
> > > several months. Does a great scan.

JK

If you have the negatives, you will get much better results scanning
the negatives on a dedicated film scanner rather than using a
flatbed to scan prints. If your budget is low, you can get a Minolta
Dimage Scan Dual 3 2800 dpi film scanner for around $250.