Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Creating a web server and...

Creating a web server and...

Dado

I have an old 486 DX2 66MHz and a "new" AMD Duron 700MHz. I've started to
learn some HTML, Javascript, and most importan PHP. I'd like to create a
small home based web server on the 486 and connect it with the new one so I
can test my PHP scripts and learn more about setting up and maintaining a
server.
I'm rather new to all of this so I would like if you could help me to create
the server, to tell me is possible at all, what OS should I use, what
software...or just send me some links that you belive it can be helpful to
me.

Thanks in advance.

Ian.H [dS]

--
Ian.H [Design & Development]
digiServ Network - Web solutions

DvDmanDT

If under windows:

1. download Apache from httpd.apache.org/dist...
2. download php from php.net (latest version is located at qa.php.net, it's
like qa edition but anyway)... Get the zip file, as the installer anyway
wont work from Apache...
3. install Apache to C:/ (it will add the 'apache' bit itself meaning it'll
get located at C:/Apache after installation or C:/Apache2/)
4. Extract PHP to C:/PHP (so that php.exe is located at C:/PHP/php.exe)
5. Open C:/Apache/conf/httpd.conf and scroll down to the bottom... Type
following:
LoadFile C:/PHP/php4ts.dll
Loadmodule php4_module c:\php\sapi\php4apache.dll
AddType application/x-httpd-php .php .phtml

That's about it... If you are using Linux/Unix which I guess you do, you'll
have to ask someone else...

--
// DvDmanDT
MSN: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

"Dado" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:bgujiv$ki1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have an old 486 DX2 66MHz and a "new" AMD Duron 700MHz. I've started to
> learn some HTML, Javascript, and most importan PHP. I'd like to create a
> small home based web server on the 486 and connect it with the new one so

> can test my PHP scripts and learn more about setting up and maintaining a
> server.
> I'm rather new to all of this so I would like if you could help me to

create
> the server, to tell me is possible at all, what OS should I use, what
> software...or just send me some links that you belive it can be helpful to
> me.
>
> Thanks in advance.

David Quinton

On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 03:36:36 GMT, "DvDmanDT" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>That's about it... If you are using Linux/Unix which I guess you do, you'll
>have to ask someone else...

<http://www.e-gineer.com/instructions/install-apache1xx-on-linux.phtml>
- then -
<http://www.e-gineer.com/instructions/install-php4x-for-apache1xx-on-linux.phtml>
worked for me...
--
Games, Gizmos, Gifts and Toys from 'I want one of those'
<http://www.bizorg.co.uk/shopping/>

Ian.H [dS]

--
Ian.H [Design & Development]
digiServ Network - Web solutions
www.digiserv.net | irc.digiserv.net | forum.digiserv.net
Programming, Web design, development & hosting.

J.O. Aho

Dado wrote:
> I have an old 486 DX2 66MHz and a "new" AMD Duron 700MHz. I've started to
> learn some HTML, Javascript, and most importan PHP. I'd like to create a
> small home based web server on the 486 and connect it with the new one so I
> can test my PHP scripts and learn more about setting up and maintaining a
> server.
> I'm rather new to all of this so I would like if you could help me to create
> the server, to tell me is possible at all, what OS should I use, what
> software...or just send me some links that you belive it can be helpful to
> me.

It's quite easy if you choose to use a *nix OS, there are quite many options
to choose from, I have used linux for a quite long time now and I'm more than
happy with it (a lot happier than the time when I used quick-dos with the MS
addon, was it called windows?). Most Linux distros comes with apache (either
with 1.3.x or 2.x.x), mysql, php and they are installed in a way that makes it
easy to continue to use them without having to spend hours on configuring them.

A good place to start to look into linux could be www.linux.org and
www.linuxiso.org, the later one does have links for downloads and forums for
different distros. I guess you will ask, which distro is best, thats an
impossible question to answer, as everyone has their own opinion, so I will
suggest you look into what they have to offer, pick the one that seems to
offer most of the things you want/need and test it. Some may be more difficult
to start with, one that is easy to start with is RedHat (IMHO it's not as good
as it used to be, mostly for the lack of tweaking options and bad taste by
Gnome2 team).

//Aho

Dado

Thanks people!!

Now it's on me to try all this stuff. I'll come again here if I get any
problems. Thanks again.