Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > System hanging

System hanging

Matt Miller

Hi,

I recently built a new PC with the following hardware:

ABIT NF7, rev. 2
AMD Athlon XP 2800
2x256mb Crucial PC2700 ram
MSI GeForce FX 5600, 128mb ram
SBLive! soundcard
on-board NIC
WD "Special Edition" 80GB HDD
SONY DVD drive
AOPEN CD Burner
350W PSU, brand name ="Max"

Win98 SE
Debian Linux

In both Windows and Linux, the system constantly will lock up.
When this happens, I can still see whatever was on the screen, but no input
from the keyboard or mouse is accepted, and any sound playing loops over
and over like a broken record. Only way I can reboot is by reset button.

The problem doesn't seem isolated to games, as it seems to occur randomly.
For example, I could be playing Ghost Recon for an hour just fine, but then
when I exit out to do something else, and then restart the game, the system
hangs. It has also crashed sometimes just on a fresh boot up.

Does this sound like an issue of not having a big enough power supply? The
dealer I got it from says it's reliable, but maybe it doesn't have enough
wattage?

I've checked the CPU temp immediately after one of these crashes in the
BIOS, and it doesn't seem too high. Or maybe it spikes somehow?

I have updated my BIOS, and have recent drivers loaded.

Thanks for your help!

System exit hanging in Leopard Tony Mullen Python 0 11-11-2007 04:52 AM
System exit hanging in Leopard Tony Mullen Python 0 11-08-2007 01:54 PM
WinXP64: Outlook Express Hangs, terminated, then explorer keeps hanging at 50% cpu usage, terminating the ctx elite pro drivers finally reboots system, x-fi elite pro related ?! Skybuck Flying Windows 64bit 1 07-26-2007 11:32 PM
system hanging John Computer Support 4 12-03-2004 01:25 PM
browser hanging system desoto Computer Support 5 12-03-2004 09:58 AM

Advertisments