Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Serial ATA

Serial ATA

AD C

Thor wrote:

>>How do Sata drives get their power, do they use the normal molex

> connector?
>
> No. They use a new style small connector adjacent to the S-ATA Data
> connector. However, current S-ATA drives are often coming with the old-style
> molex for compatibility reasons. There are also adapters available for older
> power supplies. The new ATX spec coming out will have the new S-ATA power
> connector, so new power supplies should start showing up with it.

I see, So when I get a drive, I got to make sure what connector it got.
Maybe they should have stuck with the old power conectors, they seem to
work ok.

AD C

Nick wrote:

>> I see, So when I get a drive, I got to make sure what connector it got.
>> Maybe they should have stuck with the old power conectors, they seem
>> to work ok.

> As I understand it, the SATA drives work at a lower voltage.

I can not see that, as the motors will still need 12 volts to run.

AD C

Thor wrote:

> On the data cable, yes. The signalling is 250mv instead of the 5V signalling
> that P-ATA uses. But, the S-ATA *power* connectors still supply 12V (motors)
> and 5V (logic) just like the old molex connector, but the S-ATA power supply
> connectors now also supply a 3.3V source for anticipated future low power
> mobile devices. In today's desktop machines, the 3.3V is not utilized on the
> S-ATA drives, so a simple adapter for the standard 12V/5V AT/ATX molex
> connector is available to fit the drive. Many drives are also still coming
> with the old-style molex anyway.

Now we know, thank you, I did not think the motors would have a lower
voltage.