Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Re: cpu temperature AMD Athlon 1600XP

Re: cpu temperature AMD Athlon 1600XP

jaster

"Bryan Henderson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bf36v6$a5o6a$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> My computer sometimes does strange things like continuously repeating a
> sound you get when you click on something. I have checked for a virus but

it
> isn't that and it doesn't do this all the time.
>
> I have noticed that the case is sometimes much hotter than usual due to

the
> hot weather we are having and wanted to know if there is any software for
> monitoring cpu temperature in Win 98 or do I have to go into the BIOS to

see
> what the temp is?
>
> My cpu is an AMD Athlon 1600XP. What temperature range does this work at?
>
> TIA for any help.
>

> --
> Radar: You're not supposed to be sleeping.
> Hawkeye: I'm not sleeping Radar... I'm just inspecting the
> insides of my eyelids....

Depending upon your motherboard you may or may not be able to Motherboard
Monitor 5, Aida32 or Sandra2003 to monitor temps. MBM5 is the best for
temp monitoring. Some older motherboards don't have the right sensors for
software monitoring and can only be monitored from the bios. Try MBM5 from
http://mbm.livewiredev.com/ nothing to lose.

Bryan Henderson

"jaster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:V8dRa.1211$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> "Bryan Henderson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bf36v6$a5o6a$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> > My computer sometimes does strange things like continuously repeating a
> > sound you get when you click on something. I have checked for a virus

but
> it
> > isn't that and it doesn't do this all the time.
> >
> > I have noticed that the case is sometimes much hotter than usual due to

> the
> > hot weather we are having and wanted to know if there is any software

for
> > monitoring cpu temperature in Win 98 or do I have to go into the BIOS to

> see
> > what the temp is?
> >
> > My cpu is an AMD Athlon 1600XP. What temperature range does this work

at?

> > TIA for any help.
> >

> > --
> > Radar: You're not supposed to be sleeping.
> > Hawkeye: I'm not sleeping Radar... I'm just inspecting the
> > insides of my eyelids....
> >

> Depending upon your motherboard you may or may not be able to Motherboard
> Monitor 5, Aida32 or Sandra2003 to monitor temps. MBM5 is the best for
> temp monitoring. Some older motherboards don't have the right sensors for
> software monitoring and can only be monitored from the bios. Try MBM5

from
> http://mbm.livewiredev.com/ nothing to lose.

The motherboard is an Elite K7S5A ver 1.0 if that helps.

Motherboard monitor or Speedfan will work fine with this board.

My Athlon 1600 is currently at 52 degrees with a Zalman Flower Cooler on
silent mode & two exhaust fans
I would get worried if it passes 64 degrees under load

Pokey

"Bryan Henderson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bf4988$b02pn$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...

> "jaster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:V8dRa.1211$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> > "Bryan Henderson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:bf36v6$a5o6a$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> > > My computer sometimes does strange things like continuously repeating

> > > sound you get when you click on something. I have checked for a virus

> but
> > it
> > > isn't that and it doesn't do this all the time.
> > >
> > > I have noticed that the case is sometimes much hotter than usual due

> > the
> > > hot weather we are having and wanted to know if there is any software

> for
> > > monitoring cpu temperature in Win 98 or do I have to go into the BIOS

> > see
> > > what the temp is?
> > >
> > > My cpu is an AMD Athlon 1600XP. What temperature range does this work

> at?
> > >
> > > TIA for any help.
> > >

> > > --
> > > Radar: You're not supposed to be sleeping.
> > > Hawkeye: I'm not sleeping Radar... I'm just inspecting the
> > > insides of my eyelids....
> > >

> > Depending upon your motherboard you may or may not be able to

Motherboard
> > Monitor 5, Aida32 or Sandra2003 to monitor temps. MBM5 is the best for
> > temp monitoring. Some older motherboards don't have the right sensors

for
> > software monitoring and can only be monitored from the bios. Try MBM5

> from
> > http://mbm.livewiredev.com/ nothing to lose.
> >

> The motherboard is an Elite K7S5A ver 1.0 if that helps.

Bryan Henderson

"<>" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bf49s7$9pkuk$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> Motherboard monitor or Speedfan will work fine with this board.
>
> My Athlon 1600 is currently at 52 degrees with a Zalman Flower Cooler on
> silent mode & two exhaust fans
> I would get worried if it passes 64 degrees under load
>
> Pokey

I just went into DOS earlier today and it was at 64 degrees after being on
for a couple of hours. I meant to say that I leave my computer on all the
time during the day as it doubles as an answerphone system. Sometimes I am
away from home for a week or more and both times recently the computer has
had some sort of crash during the time I'm away so it isn't working when I
get back.

Currently the weather is very hot here so the temp will be much higher as a
result. What do people do in places like Florida or are most computers in
air conditioned rooms?

> "Bryan Henderson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bf4988$b02pn$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> >
> > "jaster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:V8dRa.1211$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> > > "Bryan Henderson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:bf36v6$a5o6a$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...

repeating

virus
> > but
> > > it

> > > the

software
> > for

BIOS
> > > see

work
> > at?

> > > Depending upon your motherboard you may or may not be able to

> Motherboard
> > > Monitor 5, Aida32 or Sandra2003 to monitor temps. MBM5 is the best

for
> > > temp monitoring. Some older motherboards don't have the right sensors

> for
> > > software monitoring and can only be monitored from the bios. Try MBM5

> > from
> > > http://mbm.livewiredev.com/ nothing to lose.
> > >

> > The motherboard is an Elite K7S5A ver 1.0 if that helps.

Easy

"<>" wrote:

> Motherboard monitor or Speedfan will work fine with this board.
>
> My Athlon 1600 is currently at 52 degrees with a Zalman Flower Cooler on
> silent mode & two exhaust fans
> I would get worried if it passes 64 degrees under load
>
> Pokey
>
> "Bryan Henderson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bf4988$b02pn$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> >
> > "jaster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:V8dRa.1211$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> > > "Bryan Henderson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:bf36v6$a5o6a$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...

> > but
> > > it

> > > the

> > for

> > > see

> > at?

> > > Depending upon your motherboard you may or may not be able to

> Motherboard
> > > Monitor 5, Aida32 or Sandra2003 to monitor temps. MBM5 is the best for
> > > temp monitoring. Some older motherboards don't have the right sensors

> for
> > > software monitoring and can only be monitored from the bios. Try MBM5

> > from
> > > http://mbm.livewiredev.com/ nothing to lose.
> > >

> > The motherboard is an Elite K7S5A ver 1.0 if that helps.

I have the same MB and I use aida32 which works great. You can find it
here.

http://www.webattack.com/get/aida32.shtml

HTH
Easy

Easy

Bryan Henderson wrote:

> > > Motherboard

> for

> sensors
> > > for

> MBM5

> > I have the same MB and I use aida32 which works great. You can find it
> > here.
> >
> > http://www.webattack.com/get/aida32.shtml
> >

> I've downloaded that and it works fine. CPU temp is 65 degrees C (149 F)

Isn't that a little on the high side? I was sitting at 50 degrees then
I cut a hole in the side of the case opposite the CPU and put a fan
blowing directly at the CPU fan and now my temp sit at 44-45.

"Bryan Henderson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bf4md6$b2ir7$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...

> "Easy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

the
> best
> > > for
> > > sensors

> Try
> > > MBM5

it

> > > I've downloaded that and it works fine. CPU temp is 65 degrees C (149

> F)
> >

> > Isn't that a little on the high side? I was sitting at 50 degrees then
> > I cut a hole in the side of the case opposite the CPU and put a fan
> > blowing directly at the CPU fan and now my temp sit at 44-45.

> yes I'm sure it is too high it is now 66 degrees!!. which country are you

in
> and what is the temp? what CPU have you got?
>
> I have the side of the case off but I think I will have to buy a case fan
> and see what effect that has.

Bryan, you may also want to get some Arctic Silver thermal paste and redo
your CPU heatsink. Clean all the old stuff off and apply the paste. Follow
the instruction that will come with the paste. Don't let the computer store
talk you into something else. Also, make sure there isn't dust in the fins
of the heatsink. This will prevent the heat from getting out like it should.
My guess is that your thermal pad on your heatsink isn't making contact like
it should.

Chris

Easy

Bryan Henderson wrote:

> "Easy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> best
> > > for
> > > sensors

> Try
> > > MBM5

> > > I've downloaded that and it works fine. CPU temp is 65 degrees C (149

> F)
> >

> > Isn't that a little on the high side? I was sitting at 50 degrees then
> > I cut a hole in the side of the case opposite the CPU and put a fan
> > blowing directly at the CPU fan and now my temp sit at 44-45.

> yes I'm sure it is too high it is now 66 degrees!!. which country are you in
> and what is the temp? what CPU have you got?
>
> I have the side of the case off but I think I will have to buy a case fan
> and see what effect that has.

Am in the USA (Washington State). I have a Athlon XP 1800+. Also have
a case fan in the front and a power supply with two fans. The temps
that I gave are C.

Bryan Henderson

"c" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:VqlRa.5861$(E-Mail Removed)-kc.rr.com...

> "Bryan Henderson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bf4md6$b2ir7$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> >
> > "Easy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

the

> the
> > best

right

> > Try

find
> it

(149
> > F)
> > >

> > > Isn't that a little on the high side? I was sitting at 50 degrees then
> > > I cut a hole in the side of the case opposite the CPU and put a fan
> > > blowing directly at the CPU fan and now my temp sit at 44-45.

> > yes I'm sure it is too high it is now 66 degrees!!. which country are

you
> in
> > and what is the temp? what CPU have you got?
> >
> > I have the side of the case off but I think I will have to buy a case

fan
> > and see what effect that has.
> >

> Bryan, you may also want to get some Arctic Silver thermal paste and redo
> your CPU heatsink. Clean all the old stuff off and apply the paste. Follow
> the instruction that will come with the paste. Don't let the computer

store
> talk you into something else. Also, make sure there isn't dust in the fins
> of the heatsink. This will prevent the heat from getting out like it

should.
> My guess is that your thermal pad on your heatsink isn't making contact

like
> it should.

I never used any paste before, I built this system over 18 months ago but
this is the hottest weather since then. The heatsink is quite tightly on but
maybe not tight enough.

Easy