Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Re: cpu temperature AMD Athlon 1600XP

Re: cpu temperature AMD Athlon 1600XP

Easy

Bryan Henderson wrote:

> "Easy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> best
> > > for
> > > sensors

> Try
> > > MBM5

> > > I've downloaded that and it works fine. CPU temp is 65 degrees C (149

> F)
> >

> > Isn't that a little on the high side? I was sitting at 50 degrees then
> > I cut a hole in the side of the case opposite the CPU and put a fan
> > blowing directly at the CPU fan and now my temp sit at 44-45.

> yes I'm sure it is too high it is now 66 degrees!!. which country are you in
> and what is the temp? what CPU have you got?
>
> I have the side of the case off but I think I will have to buy a case fan
> and see what effect that has.

Am in the USA (Washington State). I have a Athlon XP 1800+. Also have
a case fan in the front and a power supply with two fans. The temps
that I gave are C.

Easy

"<>" wrote:

> Motherboard monitor or Speedfan will work fine with this board.
>
> My Athlon 1600 is currently at 52 degrees with a Zalman Flower Cooler on
> silent mode & two exhaust fans
> I would get worried if it passes 64 degrees under load
>
> Pokey
>
> "Bryan Henderson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bf4988$b02pn$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> >
> > "jaster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:V8dRa.1211$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> > > "Bryan Henderson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:bf36v6$a5o6a$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...

> > but
> > > it

> > > the

> > for

> > > see

> > at?

> > > Depending upon your motherboard you may or may not be able to

> Motherboard
> > > Monitor 5, Aida32 or Sandra2003 to monitor temps. MBM5 is the best for
> > > temp monitoring. Some older motherboards don't have the right sensors

> for
> > > software monitoring and can only be monitored from the bios. Try MBM5

> > from
> > > http://mbm.livewiredev.com/ nothing to lose.
> > >

> > The motherboard is an Elite K7S5A ver 1.0 if that helps.

I have the same MB and I use aida32 which works great. You can find it
here.

http://www.webattack.com/get/aida32.shtml

HTH
Easy

"Bryan Henderson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bf4s1t$b48lh$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...

> "c" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:VqlRa.5861$(E-Mail Removed)-kc.rr.com...
> >
> > "Bryan Henderson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:bf4md6$b2ir7$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> > >
> > > "Easy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> the

is
> > the
> > > best

> right

bios.
> > > Try

> find
> > it

> (149
> > > F)

then

> > > yes I'm sure it is too high it is now 66 degrees!!. which country are

> you
> > in
> > > and what is the temp? what CPU have you got?
> > >
> > > I have the side of the case off but I think I will have to buy a case

> fan
> > > and see what effect that has.
> > >

> > Bryan, you may also want to get some Arctic Silver thermal paste and

redo
> > your CPU heatsink. Clean all the old stuff off and apply the paste.

Follow
> > the instruction that will come with the paste. Don't let the computer

> store
> > talk you into something else. Also, make sure there isn't dust in the

fins
> > of the heatsink. This will prevent the heat from getting out like it

> should.
> > My guess is that your thermal pad on your heatsink isn't making contact

> like
> > it should.
> >

> I never used any paste before, I built this system over 18 months ago but
> this is the hottest weather since then. The heatsink is quite tightly on

but
> maybe not tight enough.

It's not a matter of being tight. There can be small pockets where the
heatsink isn't perfectly flat. Some people go so far as to lap the heatsink
on a flat plate with an abrasive media to ensure perfect flatness. I'm sure
this can't hurt, but I don't know of there is a big advantage either. I
guess what I was getting at is that I have seen the pad that is preapplied
on most heatsinks "erode" away over time. Also the Arctic Silver does
transfer heat slightly better.

Chris

Bryan Henderson

"c" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:wZmRa.5902$(E-Mail Removed)-kc.rr.com...

> "Bryan Henderson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bf4s1t$b48lh$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> >
> > "c" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:VqlRa.5861$(E-Mail Removed)-kc.rr.com...
> > >
> > > "Bryan Henderson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:bf4md6$b2ir7$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...

inspecting
> > the

able

> is
> > > the

> > right

> bios.

> > find
> > > it

> > (149

> then

fan

are
> > you
> > > in

case
> > fan
> > > >

> > > Bryan, you may also want to get some Arctic Silver thermal paste and

> redo
> > > your CPU heatsink. Clean all the old stuff off and apply the paste.

> Follow
> > > the instruction that will come with the paste. Don't let the computer

> > store
> > > talk you into something else. Also, make sure there isn't dust in the

> fins
> > > of the heatsink. This will prevent the heat from getting out like it

> > should.
> > > My guess is that your thermal pad on your heatsink isn't making

contact
> > like
> > > it should.
> > >

> > I never used any paste before, I built this system over 18 months ago

but
> > this is the hottest weather since then. The heatsink is quite tightly on

> but
> > maybe not tight enough.
> >

> It's not a matter of being tight. There can be small pockets where the
> heatsink isn't perfectly flat. Some people go so far as to lap the

heatsink
> on a flat plate with an abrasive media to ensure perfect flatness. I'm

sure
> this can't hurt, but I don't know of there is a big advantage either. I
> guess what I was getting at is that I have seen the pad that is preapplied
> on most heatsinks "erode" away over time. Also the Arctic Silver does
> transfer heat slightly better.

thanks I'll try and get some in the next few days, anything to cool this
sucker off...

Easy

Bryan Henderson wrote:

> "Easy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Bryan Henderson wrote:
> > >
> > > "Easy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> the

> the
> > > best

> right
> > > Try

> find it

> (149
> > > F)

> > > yes I'm sure it is too high it is now 66 degrees!!. which country are

> you in
> > > and what is the temp? what CPU have you got?
> > >
> > > I have the side of the case off but I think I will have to buy a case

> fan
> > > and see what effect that has.

> > Am in the USA (Washington State). I have a Athlon XP 1800+. Also have
> > a case fan in the front and a power supply with two fans. The temps
> > that I gave are C.

> I have closed all progams that were running and the temp dropped to 59
> degrees. I have a USB TV device that works most of the time which was
> probably the main program running.
>
> What is the room temp where you are? Here it is 26 degrees C at 2:19 a.m.
> which is incredible, we don't have air con in Scotland as we wouldn't use it
> too many days in the year but could do with it this last week!!! Do you have
> air con?

Yes, I have A/C and it is on. The warmest that the room gets is 76
degrees F. But do what Chris recommended plus add a fan. The heat sink
really needs that paste.
Easy

JM

> Isn't that a little on the high side? I was sitting at 50 degrees then
> I cut a hole in the side of the case opposite the CPU and put a fan
> blowing directly at the CPU fan and now my temp sit at 44-45.

I had a problem with heat in my computer. The case is one of those with 8
drive bays, so it gets pretty tall, and its partitioned off on the inside
between the motherboard and 5 drive bays. Anyway airflow sucked in the case
and so I did something similar. I cut two holes in the case and mounted two
case fans, one right infront of the processer and another one right under it
where one of the processors on the graphics card would get really hot, I
assume because it was the closer one to the CPU. Anyway, now it doesnt lock
up. It used to lock up under full load after about a half hour or so.

cool huh?
I thought so. Im so inventive. Haha.

Easy

JM wrote:

> > Isn't that a little on the high side? I was sitting at 50 degrees then
> > I cut a hole in the side of the case opposite the CPU and put a fan
> > blowing directly at the CPU fan and now my temp sit at 44-45.

> I had a problem with heat in my computer. The case is one of those with 8
> drive bays, so it gets pretty tall, and its partitioned off on the inside
> between the motherboard and 5 drive bays. Anyway airflow sucked in the case
> and so I did something similar. I cut two holes in the case and mounted two
> case fans, one right infront of the processer and another one right under it
> where one of the processors on the graphics card would get really hot, I
> assume because it was the closer one to the CPU. Anyway, now it doesnt lock
> up. It used to lock up under full load after about a half hour or so.
>
> cool huh?
> I thought so. Im so inventive. Haha.

Yep. that's what it takes sometimes. Cut holes and install fans.
Sounds as though you came up with the right solution.
Easy

Easy

Bryan Henderson wrote:

> "Easy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> best
> > > for
> > > sensors

> Try
> > > MBM5

> > > I've downloaded that and it works fine. CPU temp is 65 degrees C (149

> F)
> >

> > Isn't that a little on the high side? I was sitting at 50 degrees then
> > I cut a hole in the side of the case opposite the CPU and put a fan
> > blowing directly at the CPU fan and now my temp sit at 44-45.

> yes I'm sure it is too high it is now 66 degrees!!. which country are you in
> and what is the temp? what CPU have you got?
>
> I have the side of the case off but I think I will have to buy a case fan
> and see what effect that has.

Am in the USA (Washington State). I have a Athlon XP 1800+. Also have
a case fan in the front and a power supply with two fans. The temps
that I gave are C.

Thor

> I never used any paste before, I built this system over 18 months ago but
> this is the hottest weather since then. The heatsink is quite tightly on

but
> maybe not tight enough.

If as you say it is on "quite tightly" then you don't want it any tighter or
you will risk damage to the CPU die, which is relatively easy to damage from
too much pressure, or uneven pressure. You should use thermal paste.
Virtually no commercially sold heatsinks are machined so well that thermal
paste isn't of some benefit to use. You must have two *perfectly* flat,
uniform mating surfaces to get away with not using thermal paste. Mass
manufactured heatsinks virtually never fit into that category.