Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > SMART HDD

SMART HDD

Chris S

Hi,

I have looked at the computer Bios and have noticed that SMART is not
enabled.
It has not been enabled since I got my computer.
The drive is a Seagate and I have XP.

Why is it not enabled, should I enable the drive?

Thanx

Nick

Always a good idea to enable it

Trollslayer@thecave.com

Nick<(E-Mail Removed)> spewed forth with the following
drivel:

:: Always a good idea to enable it

And you make that assumption based on what? Bawawawahahahaha! I can't
believe some of the drivel here.

Buster

rcm

Why drivel? I always enable SMART. I had a harddrive warn me in SMART that
is was going bad, I downloaded the manufacturers diags to test it, it
passed. I rebooted, the next day SMART said it was having problems again.
I reran the manufacturers diags, it failed. I rebooted to get my data off
but the drive died before I could do something about it.

Moral of this story. Enable SMART, believe it right away if it says it is
going bad. Get your important stuff off, then fart around with diags
knowing you are safe. As a further extension of this, if you ever suspect
your drive is acting strange, back it up right away as you won't get much
time if it is dieing. I won't talk about regular backups, I fail at that.

BTW, does SMART have any significant overhead running. I am sure there is
something overhead wise but what.
"(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)/invalid> wrote in message
news:q5LOa.417871$(E-Mail Removed). ca...
> Nick<(E-Mail Removed)> spewed forth with the following
> drivel:
>
> :: Always a good idea to enable it
>
> And you make that assumption based on what? Bawawawahahahaha! I can't
> believe some of the drivel here.
>
> Buster

Matt

"Do some research."

No research necessary, Smart errors are very rare but it does work,
why don't you let us all know what "drivel" you know about it???

"(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)/invalid> wrote in message
news:iqNOa.418305$(E-Mail Removed). ca...
> rcm<(E-Mail Removed)> spewed forth with the following drivel:
>
> :: Why drivel? I always enable SMART. I had a harddrive warn me in
> :: SMART that is was going bad, I downloaded the manufacturers diags to
> :: test it, it passed. I rebooted, the next day SMART said it was
> :: having problems again. I reran the manufacturers diags, it failed.
> :: I rebooted to get my data off but the drive died before I could do
> :: something about it.
> ::
> :: Moral of this story. Enable SMART, believe it right away if it says
> :: it is going bad. Get your important stuff off, then fart around
> :: with diags knowing you are safe. As a further extension of this, if
> :: you ever suspect your drive is acting strange, back it up right away
> :: as you won't get much time if it is dieing. I won't talk about
> :: regular backups, I fail at that.
> ::
> :: BTW, does SMART have any significant overhead running. I am sure
> :: there is something overhead wise but what.
> :: "(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)/invalid> wrote in
> :: message news:q5LOa.417871$(E-Mail Removed). ca...
> ::: Nick<(E-Mail Removed)> spewed forth with the
> ::: following drivel:
> :::
> ::::: Always a good idea to enable it
> :::
> ::: And you make that assumption based on what? Bawawawahahahaha! I
> ::: can't believe some of the drivel here.
> :::
> ::: Buster
>
> You just proved my point. It is drivel. Do some research.
>
> Buster

Matt

Theres a program called "Active SMART" that monitors your drive during
windows.

"kony" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 14:11:40 GMT, pugster <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 07:26:04 +0100, "Matt" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> >wrote:
> >
> >>"Do some research."
> >>
> >>No research necessary, Smart errors are very rare but it does work,
> >>why don't you let us all know what "drivel" you know about it???

> >Please, can someone answer the question about overhead? The question
> >is not whether or not more error information is better, that's
> >obvious.
> >
> >Will it slow down disk speed?

> No it will not.
> The only time the SMART status is checked is during the POST.
> Otherwise you'd need to install a manufacturer-specific utility to
> monitor the drive within windows (AFAIK, no OS does this yet, but
> could in the future), so in other words, the setting itself no longer
> has implications... the drive doesn't do anything differently based on
> that bios setting.
>

> Dave

DeMoN_LaG

"rcm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:tSLOa.391912$(E-Mail Removed) a:

> Moral of this story. Enable SMART, believe it right away if it says
> it is going bad. Get your important stuff off, then fart around with
> diags knowing you are safe. As a further extension of this, if you
> ever suspect your drive is acting strange, back it up right away as
> you won't get much time if it is dieing. I won't talk about regular
> backups, I fail at that.

SMART has been telling me for like two years that my 30 gig Maxtor is
dying. Throughout this time, 2 other drives have died, neither one of them
was reported by SMART, and to this day my Maxtor is still kicking along
without a single bad sector and passing all diagnostics flawlessly.

rcm

Interesting. And you ran the Maxtor Diags that passed it. Personally from
my experience (bad) I would be nervous running the drive. To each his own.

"DeMoN_LaG" <de_on-lag@co_cast.net> wrote in message

> SMART has been telling me for like two years that my 30 gig Maxtor is
> dying. Throughout this time, 2 other drives have died, neither one of

them
> was reported by SMART, and to this day my Maxtor is still kicking along
> without a single bad sector and passing all diagnostics flawlessly.

DeMoN_LaG

"rcm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:AMYOa.394040$(E-Mail Removed). ca:

> Interesting. And you ran the Maxtor Diags that passed it. Personally
> from my experience (bad) I would be nervous running the drive. To
> each his own.

I wouldn't hesitate to run it. I've had a drive that was failed and
couldn't read or write anything pass a SMART diagnostic, and I have had
drives that fail SMART not die for over 3 years. It doesn't work.

sqr

The hard drive will take a slight hit in performance when it is enabled.

--
sqr
Overseer: alt.os.windows-xp

"MrT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:3f0b4c56$0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> SMART is Self-Monitoring Analysis & Reporting Technology and it allows

HDDs