Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Re: HELP : PC turn itself on !!??

Re: HELP : PC turn itself on !!??

You seem to have tried all the right things. Every time I have seen this,
it turned out to be wake-on-lan or some other power setting in the BIOS.
Try turning off all power management and see what happens. What was the
upgrade that was done?

"John7" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:be6ef3$3rh$(E-Mail Removed)1.nb.home.nl...
> Hi,
>
> I have weird problem.
> After upgrading a flawlessly working system
> it now powers itself up after just being shut down.
>
> When I shut down by menu or power button
> the system turns off. Everthing comes to a halt = OK.
> After 10 seconds the pc powers up and boots
>

> Tried this without success:
> ===================
> - cleared CMOS
> - bios safe, optimized and customized settings
> - stripped system down to m/b, cpu, 1 ram, vga, raid HD's
> - w/ and w/o Win98SE MS Shutdown supplement
> - ran cpu at 1800MHz (FSB @ 100MHz).
> - unplugged network cable
> - unplugged CD-rom and CD-writer
> - disconnected front power switch
>
> Any clues ?
>
> TIA,
> John7
>

> System setup (* denotes new parts)
> ==========
> *AMD XP 2400+, plus fan
> GA 7DXR+ m/b rev1.0, BIOS F9,
> ALL auto power up settings Off.
> AC back option Off.
> Top performance Off
> 256MB DDR333
> *256MB DDR333 (added)
> *Tyan ATi9500pro 128MB AGP8x
> *2x Maxtor 80GB 7200 rpm ATA133 as RAID0 (stripe array)
> 10/100Mb Network card with VIACOM chip.
> Pinnacle FireWire1393 card
> 300W psu
> Windows 98SE
> Std Logitec Sroll mouse
> Std keyboard.

John7

Thx for responding.

Turned all Wake Up on Modem / LAN / RealTimeClock off but at no avail.
Upgrade parts are marked * in the list.

I unplugged mouse and keyboard but system still powered up by itself.

When shutting down from:
- Windows using Start Menu - Shut Down
- Windows touching the Soft Power Front Switch
system ALWAYS powers up again.

When shutting down from:
- Bios - Q-flash - F10 or
- F8-bootmenu then holding front soft power switch 4 sec.
system NEVER powers up again.

I tried Win98SE Shutdown Supplement but at no avail.
So Windows has something to do with it, but what?

John7

<Sarge> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You seem to have tried all the right things. Every time I have seen this,
> it turned out to be wake-on-lan or some other power setting in the BIOS.
> Try turning off all power management and see what happens. What was the
> upgrade that was done?
>

> "John7" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:be6ef3$3rh$(E-Mail Removed)1.nb.home.nl...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have weird problem.
> > After upgrading a flawlessly working system
> > it now powers itself up after just being shut down.
> >
> > When I shut down by menu or power button
> > the system turns off. Everthing comes to a halt = OK.
> > After 10 seconds the pc powers up and boots
> >

> > Tried this without success:
> > ===================
> > - cleared CMOS
> > - bios safe, optimized and customized settings
> > - stripped system down to m/b, cpu, 1 ram, vga, raid HD's
> > - w/ and w/o Win98SE MS Shutdown supplement
> > - ran cpu at 1800MHz (FSB @ 100MHz).
> > - unplugged network cable
> > - unplugged CD-rom and CD-writer
> > - disconnected front power switch
> >
> > Any clues ?
> >
> > TIA,
> > John7
> >

> > System setup (* denotes new parts)
> > ==========
> > *AMD XP 2400+, plus fan
> > GA 7DXR+ m/b rev1.0, BIOS F9,
> > ALL auto power up settings Off.
> > AC back option Off.
> > Top performance Off
> > 256MB DDR333
> > *256MB DDR333 (added)
> > *Tyan ATi9500pro 128MB AGP8x
> > *2x Maxtor 80GB 7200 rpm ATA133 as RAID0 (stripe array)
> > 10/100Mb Network card with VIACOM chip.
> > Pinnacle FireWire1393 card
> > 300W psu
> > Windows 98SE
> > Std Logitec Sroll mouse
> > Std keyboard.

Will it shut down from safe mode?

What version drivers are you using for the Promise RAID?

"John7" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:be8o5e$bb$(E-Mail Removed)1.nb.home.nl...
> Thx for responding.
>
> Turned all Wake Up on Modem / LAN / RealTimeClock off but at no avail.
> Upgrade parts are marked * in the list.
>
> I unplugged mouse and keyboard but system still powered up by itself.
>
> When shutting down from:
> - Windows using Start Menu - Shut Down
> - Windows touching the Soft Power Front Switch
> system ALWAYS powers up again.
>
> When shutting down from:
> - Bios - Q-flash - F10 or
> - F8-bootmenu then holding front soft power switch 4 sec.
> system NEVER powers up again.
>
> I tried Win98SE Shutdown Supplement but at no avail.
> So Windows has something to do with it, but what?
>
> John7
>

> <Sarge> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > You seem to have tried all the right things. Every time I have seen

this,
> > it turned out to be wake-on-lan or some other power setting in the BIOS.
> > Try turning off all power management and see what happens. What was the
> > upgrade that was done?
> >

> > "John7" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:be6ef3$3rh$(E-Mail Removed)1.nb.home.nl...
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have weird problem.
> > > After upgrading a flawlessly working system
> > > it now powers itself up after just being shut down.
> > >
> > > When I shut down by menu or power button
> > > the system turns off. Everthing comes to a halt = OK.
> > > After 10 seconds the pc powers up and boots
> > >

> > > Tried this without success:
> > > ===================
> > > - cleared CMOS
> > > - bios safe, optimized and customized settings
> > > - stripped system down to m/b, cpu, 1 ram, vga, raid HD's
> > > - w/ and w/o Win98SE MS Shutdown supplement
> > > - ran cpu at 1800MHz (FSB @ 100MHz).
> > > - unplugged network cable
> > > - unplugged CD-rom and CD-writer
> > > - disconnected front power switch
> > >
> > > Any clues ?
> > >
> > > TIA,
> > > John7
> > >

> > > System setup (* denotes new parts)
> > > ==========
> > > *AMD XP 2400+, plus fan
> > > GA 7DXR+ m/b rev1.0, BIOS F9,
> > > ALL auto power up settings Off.
> > > AC back option Off.
> > > Top performance Off
> > > 256MB DDR333
> > > *256MB DDR333 (added)
> > > *Tyan ATi9500pro 128MB AGP8x
> > > *2x Maxtor 80GB 7200 rpm ATA133 as RAID0 (stripe array)
> > > 10/100Mb Network card with VIACOM chip.
> > > Pinnacle FireWire1393 card
> > > 300W psu
> > > Windows 98SE
> > > Std Logitec Sroll mouse
> > > Std keyboard.

Thor

Do you have any USB devices attached? I've seen this happen with some USB
devices and having USB legacy support enabled in the BIOS. Also consider a
BIOS update.

"John7" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:be8o5e$bb$(E-Mail Removed)1.nb.home.nl...
> Thx for responding.
>
> Turned all Wake Up on Modem / LAN / RealTimeClock off but at no avail.
> Upgrade parts are marked * in the list.
>
> I unplugged mouse and keyboard but system still powered up by itself.
>
> When shutting down from:
> - Windows using Start Menu - Shut Down
> - Windows touching the Soft Power Front Switch
> system ALWAYS powers up again.
>
> When shutting down from:
> - Bios - Q-flash - F10 or
> - F8-bootmenu then holding front soft power switch 4 sec.
> system NEVER powers up again.
>
> I tried Win98SE Shutdown Supplement but at no avail.
> So Windows has something to do with it, but what?
>
> John7
>

> <Sarge> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > You seem to have tried all the right things. Every time I have seen

this,
> > it turned out to be wake-on-lan or some other power setting in the BIOS.
> > Try turning off all power management and see what happens. What was the
> > upgrade that was done?
> >

> > "John7" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:be6ef3$3rh$(E-Mail Removed)1.nb.home.nl...
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have weird problem.
> > > After upgrading a flawlessly working system
> > > it now powers itself up after just being shut down.
> > >
> > > When I shut down by menu or power button
> > > the system turns off. Everthing comes to a halt = OK.
> > > After 10 seconds the pc powers up and boots
> > >

> > > Tried this without success:
> > > ===================
> > > - cleared CMOS
> > > - bios safe, optimized and customized settings
> > > - stripped system down to m/b, cpu, 1 ram, vga, raid HD's
> > > - w/ and w/o Win98SE MS Shutdown supplement
> > > - ran cpu at 1800MHz (FSB @ 100MHz).
> > > - unplugged network cable
> > > - unplugged CD-rom and CD-writer
> > > - disconnected front power switch
> > >
> > > Any clues ?
> > >
> > > TIA,
> > > John7
> > >

> > > System setup (* denotes new parts)
> > > ==========
> > > *AMD XP 2400+, plus fan
> > > GA 7DXR+ m/b rev1.0, BIOS F9,
> > > ALL auto power up settings Off.
> > > AC back option Off.
> > > Top performance Off
> > > 256MB DDR333
> > > *256MB DDR333 (added)
> > > *Tyan ATi9500pro 128MB AGP8x
> > > *2x Maxtor 80GB 7200 rpm ATA133 as RAID0 (stripe array)
> > > 10/100Mb Network card with VIACOM chip.
> > > Pinnacle FireWire1393 card
> > > 300W psu
> > > Windows 98SE
> > > Std Logitec Sroll mouse
> > > Std keyboard.

Buck2000 Buck2000 is offline
Junior Member

Hi,
I realise this problem was posted ages ago but if anyone is wondering by and has the problem; try this - it worked for me.
I had the same issue. I would turn on the power at the socket(on my IBM Netvista) and woompf - the PC would start without me touching the power on button. "Thanks, but no thanks".
So I went in to the BIOS (don't want to be a patronising g*t but pressed F2 at startup - sorry if you knew that. In the BIOS I went Power and Change the "Wake From LAN" to Disabled - Save the settings - and everything was fine. Hope this works for you; it worked spot on for me - at restart, shut down, turn on the PC and all others. My thinking is - and I do not know this - the PC hasn't been build correctly (my PC is a rebuild too, before I get a libel claim from IBM!) Hope this works for you guys

PS - No loss of data either