Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Re: Recovery Question

Re: Recovery Question

LarryLamb

"Ted" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My old PC (Gateway Athlon 800hz) just recently died from a processor
> failure. I was running Win98 with several programs I still need. I

just
> finished buliding a new PC (Athlon XP 2600). If I put my old hard

drive in
> this new machine, will it boot? I plan on setting up a dual boot with

Win 98
> and WinXP eventually, but I was wondering if I could put my hard

drive from
> my old machine in the new one and boot up. I know there will be

several
> hardware differences.
>
> Thanks
> Ted

Most desktop PCs have a spare data connector and power plug for a
second hard drive. All you have to do is set the jumper cables on the
back of the old drive to "slave" setting . When the PC boots up, it
will recognise the second drive and allow you to copy and paste files
from it to the new drive.