Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Re: Voice modem problem

Re: Voice modem problem

Bryan Henderson

"Shepİ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 14:48:32 +0100, Whilst playing Smegball with the
> scutters "Bryan Henderson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :
>

> >"Prof" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:bd386g$cr6q$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Have you tried raising the volume on the Window's virtual mixer? Since

> >> voice modem is a wave device it might work.

> >If you mean the volume control on the task bar etc then yes if I turn

this
> >volume up high I can hear the messages. I have a USB TV device and the
> >volume level I use for this used to be fine for the modem but now I am
> >having to turn up the level higher for listening to messages then turn it
> >down to listen to TV before I didn't have to do this.

> Having never used the,"Voice"option of a modem I'm not sure if this
> will help but here ya go.
>
> There are,"Two"places you can adjust the modem,"Handshake"volume which
> I suspect may also affect the,"Voice" volume of which you can confirm
> if this works.
>
> 1:Go to Dial Up Networking/Highlight your Connection/Right
> click/Properties/Configure and move the Volume slider all the way to
> the right and work your way out.
>
> 2:Control Panel/Modems/Highlight your modem/Properties and do the
> same.
>
> HTH

I think the problem is that the modem is sharing an IRQ with the sound card.
Is there a way to change this?

Shepİ

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 00:10:05 +0100, Whilst playing Smegball with the
scutters "Bryan Henderson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :

>"Shepİ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 14:48:32 +0100, Whilst playing Smegball with the
>> scutters "Bryan Henderson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :
>>

>> >"Prof" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> >news:bd386g$cr6q$(E-Mail Removed)...

>> >If you mean the volume control on the task bar etc then yes if I turn

>this
>> >volume up high I can hear the messages. I have a USB TV device and the
>> >volume level I use for this used to be fine for the modem but now I am
>> >having to turn up the level higher for listening to messages then turn it
>> >down to listen to TV before I didn't have to do this.

>> Having never used the,"Voice"option of a modem I'm not sure if this
>> will help but here ya go.
>>
>> There are,"Two"places you can adjust the modem,"Handshake"volume which
>> I suspect may also affect the,"Voice" volume of which you can confirm
>> if this works.
>>
>> 1:Go to Dial Up Networking/Highlight your Connection/Right
>> click/Properties/Configure and move the Volume slider all the way to
>> the right and work your way out.
>>
>> 2:Control Panel/Modems/Highlight your modem/Properties and do the
>> same.
>>
>> HTH
>>

>I think the problem is that the modem is sharing an IRQ with the sound card.
>Is there a way to change this?

Yes.Move the card to another PCI slot.What makes you think that
sharing an IRQ is a problem?

--
Free Windows/PC help,
Free songs download,

Bryan Henderson

"Shepİ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 00:10:05 +0100, Whilst playing Smegball with the
> scutters "Bryan Henderson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :
>

> >"Shepİ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed).. .

Since

> >this

it

> >> Having never used the,"Voice"option of a modem I'm not sure if this
> >> will help but here ya go.
> >>
> >> There are,"Two"places you can adjust the modem,"Handshake"volume which
> >> I suspect may also affect the,"Voice" volume of which you can confirm
> >> if this works.
> >>
> >> 1:Go to Dial Up Networking/Highlight your Connection/Right
> >> click/Properties/Configure and move the Volume slider all the way to
> >> the right and work your way out.
> >>
> >> 2:Control Panel/Modems/Highlight your modem/Properties and do the
> >> same.
> >>
> >> HTH
> >>

> >I think the problem is that the modem is sharing an IRQ with the sound

card.
> >Is there a way to change this?

> Yes.Move the card to another PCI slot.What makes you think that
> sharing an IRQ is a problem?

I read about this on Modems.com re IRQ problems. Also many times in the past
pc problems have been IRQ problems.....

Shepİ

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 00:39:15 +0100, Whilst playing Smegball with the
scutters "Bryan Henderson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :

>"Shepİ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 00:10:05 +0100, Whilst playing Smegball with the
>> scutters "Bryan Henderson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :
>>

>> >"Shepİ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> >news:(E-Mail Removed).. .

>Since

>> >this

>it

>> >I think the problem is that the modem is sharing an IRQ with the sound

>card.
>> >Is there a way to change this?

>> Yes.Move the card to another PCI slot.What makes you think that
>> sharing an IRQ is a problem?
>>

>I read about this on Modems.com re IRQ problems. Also many times in the past
>pc problems have been IRQ problems.....

Yes but most people who post that it's an,"IRQ" problem don't even
know what one is or what their hardware is using.
Anyway.To your OP.The software was working,not it's not.Something
changed.Could be a hardware fault but before that remove all
references to the modem and if it's a,"Software" or HCF modem it's a
enumerator entries from the Device Manager using Safemode as per,
http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/drivers.html
you may still then have to reset the 2 areas I've posted for the modem
volume.
HTH

--
Free Windows/PC help,
Free songs download,

Ayaz Ahmed Khan

"Bryan Henderson" typed:

> I think the problem is that the modem is sharing an IRQ with the sound card.
> Is there a way to change this?

Windows is compatible with multi-IRQ sharing. You need not worry about
it, unless you were using a Linux OS.

--
Ayaz Ahmed Khan

Yours Forever in,