Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > IE Not Allowing Me to Change Homepage

IE Not Allowing Me to Change Homepage

Inquirer

I have tried several times to change my homepage (a webmail site I had
chosen; _not_ the result of an attack) in Internet Explorer 6.0. I
click 'apply' and it shows the new url or 'about: blank' which I have
chosen but then IE opens straight to the old homepage, completely
ignoring the change I made.

Since I started using Firefox, I only use IE for MS updates, Dell
support, and other things which encounter problems with Firefox but I
am concerned over what could be causing this strange behavior.

Complete scans with AdAware, SpyBot S&D and Ewido Anti-Spyware as well
as Avast AV and Kaspersky online virus scan have all come up clean.

Thanks for any info.

--
Please reply in group. Email address invalid.

optikl

Inquirer wrote:
> I have tried several times to change my homepage (a webmail site I had
> chosen; _not_ the result of an attack) in Internet Explorer 6.0. I
> click 'apply' and it shows the new url or 'about: blank' which I have
> chosen but then IE opens straight to the old homepage, completely
> ignoring the change I made.
>
> Since I started using Firefox, I only use IE for MS updates, Dell
> support, and other things which encounter problems with Firefox but I
> am concerned over what could be causing this strange behavior.
>
> Complete scans with AdAware, SpyBot S&D and Ewido Anti-Spyware as well
> as Avast AV and Kaspersky online virus scan have all come up clean.
>
> Thanks for any info.
>
> --
> Please reply in group. Email address invalid.

Some security software, e.g., WinPatrol and SpySweeper, have features
that allow one to monitor or control changes to the I.E. homepage. Are
you certain you haven't software that offers that feature? I'm not
certain about AVAST and or SpyBot, but check to make sure that isn't one
of its options.

David H. Lipman

From: "Inquirer" <(E-Mail Removed)>

| I have tried several times to change my homepage (a webmail site I had
| chosen; _not_ the result of an attack) in Internet Explorer 6.0. I
| click 'apply' and it shows the new url or 'about: blank' which I have
| chosen but then IE opens straight to the old homepage, completely
| ignoring the change I made.
|
| Since I started using Firefox, I only use IE for MS updates, Dell
| support, and other things which encounter problems with Firefox but I
| am concerned over what could be causing this strange behavior.
|
| Complete scans with AdAware, SpyBot S&D and Ewido Anti-Spyware as well
| as Avast AV and Kaspersky online virus scan have all come up clean.
|
| Thanks for any info.

If you are using any version of Sun Java that is prior to JRE Version 5.0,
then you are strongly urged to remove any/all versions that are prior to JRE/JSE
Version 5.0. There are vulnerabilities in them and they are actively being exploited.
It is possible that is how you got infected with malware.

Therefore, it is highly suggested that if there are any prior versions of Sun Java
to Version 5 on the PC that they be removed and Sun Java JRE/JSE Version 5.0 Update 7
be installed ASAP.

Simple check, look under...
C:\Program Files\Java

The only folder under that folder should be the latest version...

C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_07

http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

For non-viral malware...

Please download, install and update the following software...

* SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/supe...freevspro.html

I also suggest downloading, installing and updating BHODemon for any Browser Helper Objects
that may be on the PC.

* BHODemon

http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloadge...4332b4b8b8442d

For viral malware...

* Download MULTI_AV.EXE from the URL --

Choose; Unzip
Choose; Close

Execute; C:\AV-CLS\StartMenu.BAT

This will bring up the initial menu of choices and should be executed in Normal Mode.
This way all the components can be downloaded from each AV vendor's web site.
The choices are; Sophos, Trend, McAfee, Kaspersky, Exit this menu and Reboot the PC.

file. http://www.ik-cs.com/multi-av.htm

Additional Instructions:
http://pcdid.com/Multi_AV.htm

Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

fred

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
optikl <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>Inquirer wrote:
>> I have tried several times to change my homepage (a webmail site I had
>> chosen; _not_ the result of an attack) in Internet Explorer 6.0. I
>> click 'apply' and it shows the new url or 'about: blank' which I have
>> chosen but then IE opens straight to the old homepage, completely
>> ignoring the change I made.
>>
>> Since I started using Firefox, I only use IE for MS updates, Dell
>> support, and other things which encounter problems with Firefox but I
>> am concerned over what could be causing this strange behavior.
>>
>> Complete scans with AdAware, SpyBot S&D and Ewido Anti-Spyware as well
>> as Avast AV and Kaspersky online virus scan have all come up clean.
>>
>> Thanks for any info.
>>
>> --
>> Please reply in group. Email address invalid.

>Some security software, e.g., WinPatrol and SpySweeper, have features
>that allow one to monitor or control changes to the I.E. homepage. Are
>you certain you haven't software that offers that feature? I'm not
>certain about AVAST and or SpyBot, but check to make sure that isn't one
>of its options.

ZoneAlarm too and V65.722.000 Free has this behaviour as a bug along
with forced hosts protection, in that case a revert to V61.744.001 was the
solution although there may be a more recent version now that has fixed
the bug.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla

Inquirer

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 21:37:52 GMT, fred <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>ZoneAlarm too and V65.722.000 Free has this behaviour as a bug along
>with forced hosts protection,

Aha! That must be it, then, as that is my Firewall.

> in that case a revert to V61.744.001 was the
>solution although there may be a more recent version now that has fixed
>the bug.

Thanks but since I use IE so little, it probably doesn't pay to
bother. I was just worried that it could be something insidious.

---
Email invalid. Reply to group.

Patrick

Nice, I just strolled across this now while conducting other
searches... I was having the same problem until a few moments ago.

Inquirer, no need to revert back to previous version. Simply
temporarily shut down your ZoneAlarm Firewall, go to IE and change your
homepage, then restart your Firewall.

Done.