Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > http connections

http connections

=?UTF-8?B?QWRyacOhbg==?= Ribao

Hello.
I have been trying to use a sniffer to save in a file all the http
conections, I'm only interested in the HTML code of each connection, but I
don't know how can I do it.
I've been using tcpdump and ethereal under Suse Linux 10.1.
Can I with those programs running in backgraund get all the HTML content and
log it in a file?

Thank you very much.

imhotep

AdriŠn Ribao wrote:

> Hello.
> I have been trying to use a sniffer to save in a file all the http
> conections, I'm only interested in the HTML code of each connection, but I
> don't know how can I do it.
> I've been using tcpdump and ethereal under Suse Linux 10.1.
> Can I with those programs running in backgraund get all the HTML content
> and log it in a file?
>
> Thank you very much.

Yes you can. Put a sniffer pc with ethereal and set it up to log all http
traffic. You can configure a switch to "port mirror" or use a hub (not a
switch!) Make sure you configure it to save 100% of the packet (by default
I think it save just a couple of bytes of the application layer). I would
offer two pieces of advice:

1) Have lots of disk space
2) Only sniff http traffic to minimize things (disk space, interface
throughput)

I hope that helps,
Imhotep

--
*************************************
Pass a Net Neutrality Law in the US!!!!

Save the Internet:
http://www.savetheinternet.com/

Its our net:
http://www.itsournet.org/

*************************************

=?UTF-8?B?QWRyacOhbg==?= Ribao

Thank you.
I have done that before, but my problem is get the HTML content from the
captured data. One soultion would be to save the data in XML format and
then apply XSLT. But I was wondering if is there any better way.
I don't care about the package info and all that stuff, I'm only interested
in the HTML data.
Thank you very much!

imhotep wrote:

> Adri√°n Ribao wrote:
>
>> Hello.
>> I have been trying to use a sniffer to save in a file all the http
>> conections, I'm only interested in the HTML code of each connection, but
>> I don't know how can I do it.
>> I've been using tcpdump and ethereal under Suse Linux 10.1.
>> Can I with those programs running in backgraund get all the HTML content
>> and log it in a file?
>>
>> Thank you very much.

> Yes you can. Put a sniffer pc with ethereal and set it up to log all http
> traffic. You can configure a switch to "port mirror" or use a hub (not a
> switch!) Make sure you configure it to save 100% of the packet (by default
> I think it save just a couple of bytes of the application layer). I would
> offer two pieces of advice:
>
> 1) Have lots of disk space
> 2) Only sniff http traffic to minimize things (disk space, interface
> throughput)
>
> I hope that helps,
> Imhotep

Antares

> It sounds like you want to reconstruct the http data yes? Humm...good
> question. I have not gone that deep with the sniffer but I am sure there is
> way....try posting to one of the linux/ethereal groups...also, post back
> your results. You have made me curious...
>
> Imhotep

Ok, I will. I hope I could do it.
See you.

imhotep