Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Which encryption algorithm should I use setting up Truecrypt volume?

Which encryption algorithm should I use setting up Truecrypt volume?

TwistyCreek

rinmanb70 wrote:

> Thanks for your help everybody.

Not a problem.

> I used the default, AES, and I'll see how it goes. If it seems too
> slow then I'll try another alogorithm or consider using an encrypted
> partition instead of an encrypted file.

If you have performance issues, definitely go with the encrypted
partition option no matter what. A change in algorithm (twofish or CAST
would be the only two others I'd try) won't have anywhere near the
impact the difference between file- and partition-based volumes will.

crgs crgs is offline
Junior Member

AES is one of the fastest, and is quite secure against nearly everyone, except the NSA. Serpent is probably the most secure individual encryption scheme (and slowest-albeit still pretty fast) Mixtures of encryption are even more secure, but probably overkill at this point.