Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > McAfee Question

McAfee Question

george

Hi All
For years, I used Norton Security software and decided that it slows my PC
down a lot, so I am trying McAfee Security this year (I also run some
freebies such as adaware, spoybot and zonealarm) - to my surprise, PC runs
noticably quicker BUT I am conerned that McAfee has a tendancy to disable
anti-virus and other options without asking me...Further more, to me, it is
not at all obvious how you
1) scan a single file of your choice
2) get the available updates from internet manually (it seems to be updating
regularly automatically)- every time I try manually, it's asking me for my
user name or e-mail address and my password; now, this is supposed to be
security centre??

It has automatically integrated with my outlook express; I don't mind this,
but it out an important e-mail into my spam folder. I was able to save it,
but it didn't let me move it to inbox. Help seems very basic too, hence my
questions here...
Any ideas? Should I just use AVG's free anti-virus, lol?
George

William Tucker

"george" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi All
> For years, I used Norton Security software and decided that it slows my PC
> down a lot, so I am trying McAfee Security this year (I also run some
> freebies such as adaware, spoybot and zonealarm) - to my surprise, PC runs
> noticably quicker BUT I am conerned that McAfee has a tendancy to disable
> anti-virus and other options without asking me...Further more, to me, it
> is not at all obvious how you
> 1) scan a single file of your choice
> 2) get the available updates from internet manually (it seems to be
> updating regularly automatically)- every time I try manually, it's asking
> me for my user name or e-mail address and my password; now, this is
> supposed to be security centre??
>
> It has automatically integrated with my outlook express; I don't mind
> this, but it out an important e-mail into my spam folder. I was able to
> save it, but it didn't let me move it to inbox. Help seems very basic too,
> hence my questions here...
> Any ideas? Should I just use AVG's free anti-virus, lol?
> George

I have used McAfee on my home computers for about five years. It doesn't
seem to need to "take over" your machine like some of the other anti-virus
programs do. If it finds a virus it simply pops up with the name of the
virus and tells you it is going to do away with it. It automatically scans
any new files (such as something you want to transfer from a floppy or a
thumb drive.) On two different occasions it has caught a virus that my
corporate computer missed (which has Norton installed). It updates daily,
so you don't need to update it manually. I use Outlook for email, so I'm
not sure about your problem with the spam folder. I am able to tweak
Outlook to deal with attachments and spam the way I want it to.

george

"William Tucker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:0Yomg.132$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "george" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi All
>> For years, I used Norton Security software and decided that it slows my
>> PC down a lot, so I am trying McAfee Security this year (I also run some
>> freebies such as adaware, spoybot and zonealarm) - to my surprise, PC
>> runs noticably quicker BUT I am conerned that McAfee has a tendancy to
>> disable anti-virus and other options without asking me...Further more, to
>> me, it is not at all obvious how you
>> 1) scan a single file of your choice
>> 2) get the available updates from internet manually (it seems to be
>> updating regularly automatically)- every time I try manually, it's asking
>> me for my user name or e-mail address and my password; now, this is
>> supposed to be security centre??
>>
>> It has automatically integrated with my outlook express; I don't mind
>> this, but it out an important e-mail into my spam folder. I was able to
>> save it, but it didn't let me move it to inbox. Help seems very basic
>> too, hence my questions here...
>> Any ideas? Should I just use AVG's free anti-virus, lol?
>> George
>>

> I have used McAfee on my home computers for about five years. It doesn't
> seem to need to "take over" your machine like some of the other anti-virus
> programs do. If it finds a virus it simply pops up with the name of the
> virus and tells you it is going to do away with it. It automatically
> scans any new files (such as something you want to transfer from a floppy
> or a thumb drive.) On two different occasions it has caught a virus that
> my corporate computer missed (which has Norton installed). It updates
> daily, so you don't need to update it manually. I use Outlook for email,
> so I'm not sure about your problem with the spam folder. I am able to
> tweak Outlook to deal with attachments and spam the way I want it to.

Thanks for your thoughts - so, how do I scan a single file of my choice? And
even though I may not need to do get the updates manually, I WANT to get
them manually, how do I do it without having to log on to McAfee's update
page?

William Tucker

"george" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "William Tucker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:0Yomg.132$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "george" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi All
>>> For years, I used Norton Security software and decided that it slows my
>>> PC down a lot, so I am trying McAfee Security this year (I also run some
>>> freebies such as adaware, spoybot and zonealarm) - to my surprise, PC
>>> runs noticably quicker BUT I am conerned that McAfee has a tendancy to
>>> disable anti-virus and other options without asking me...Further more,
>>> to me, it is not at all obvious how you
>>> 1) scan a single file of your choice
>>> 2) get the available updates from internet manually (it seems to be
>>> updating regularly automatically)- every time I try manually, it's
>>> asking me for my user name or e-mail address and my password; now, this
>>> is supposed to be security centre??
>>>
>>> It has automatically integrated with my outlook express; I don't mind
>>> this, but it out an important e-mail into my spam folder. I was able to
>>> save it, but it didn't let me move it to inbox. Help seems very basic
>>> too, hence my questions here...
>>> Any ideas? Should I just use AVG's free anti-virus, lol?
>>> George
>>>

>> I have used McAfee on my home computers for about five years. It doesn't
>> seem to need to "take over" your machine like some of the other
>> anti-virus programs do. If it finds a virus it simply pops up with the
>> name of the virus and tells you it is going to do away with it. It
>> automatically scans any new files (such as something you want to transfer
>> from a floppy or a thumb drive.) On two different occasions it has
>> caught a virus that my corporate computer missed (which has Norton
>> installed). It updates daily, so you don't need to update it manually.
>> I use Outlook for email, so I'm not sure about your problem with the spam
>> folder. I am able to tweak Outlook to deal with attachments and spam the
>> way I want it to.
>>

> Thanks for your thoughts - so, how do I scan a single file of my choice?
> And even though I may not need to do get the updates manually, I WANT to
> get them manually, how do I do it without having to log on to McAfee's
> update page?

To scan a specific file, right click on the red McAfee M in the task bar. A
menu will pop up, from it choose "Scan" then "VirusScan". This will open up
a directory tree from which you can choose the location of the drive, folder
and file you want to scan.

To set your McAfee to Manual Update, again right click on the M in the task
bar. Choose Updates and then click on the configure box. I don't know if
this will require you to log on to do this, I didn't want to mess with my
settings to find out. Personally I like the automatic updates because I
don't have to put it on my to do list every day.