Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > U.S. gov't more active in piracy fight

U.S. gov't more active in piracy fight

imhotep

"The U.S. government is becoming more willing to push the agenda of
Hollywood and the music industry internationally, according to recent media
reports.

The May raid on the Swedish torrent site, ThePirateBay.org, is only the
most overt action recently taken by the U.S. government on behalf of
content owners. The U.S. also appears to be pushing an international treaty
that would give broadcasters additional--and unnecessary, argues Duke Law
School professor James Boyle--intellectual property rights on any
transmitted content. The Bush Administration has offered to do even more,
according to an article in the Washington Post."

http://www.securityfocus.com/brief/230

Translation: The music industry's lobbyists are working hard to buy the US
Senators to push their agenda abroad....nice eh?

Imhotep

--
*************************************
Pass a Net Neutrality Law in the US!!!!

Save the Internet:
http://www.savetheinternet.com/

Its our net:
http://www.itsournet.org/

*************************************

Clark W. Griswold, Jr.

imhotep <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>http://www.securityfocus.com/brief/230
>
>Translation: The music industry's lobbyists are working hard to buy the US
>Senators to push their agenda abroad....nice eh?

Well, maybe. I think the RIAA and MPAA have done far more harm to themselves
than they've helped, but consider the following:

The US earned almost $9B (that's billion) in revenue last year from world wide
film sales & rentals. See http://yaleglobal.yale.edu/article.print?id=479 for
the gory details. That does not include music sales.

IIRC, entertainment is second only to Aerospace (ie, those Boeing 777s) for
generating foreign revenue for the US.

If the US is going to be outsourcing all those low paid manufacturing & coding
jobs to third world countries, we need to replace that economic engine with
something or this countries standard of living will quickly decline.

Some fair means of protecting those assets would seem to be necessary.

imhotep

Clark W. Griswold, Jr. wrote:

> imhotep <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>http://www.securityfocus.com/brief/230
>>
>>Translation: The music industry's lobbyists are working hard to buy the US
>>Senators to push their agenda abroad....nice eh?

> Well, maybe. I think the RIAA and MPAA have done far more harm to
> themselves than they've helped, but consider the following:
>
> The US earned almost $9B (that's billion) in revenue last year from world
> wide film sales & rentals. See
> http://yaleglobal.yale.edu/article.print?id=479 for the gory details. That
> does not include music sales.
>
> IIRC, entertainment is second only to Aerospace (ie, those Boeing 777s)
> for generating foreign revenue for the US.
>
> If the US is going to be outsourcing all those low paid manufacturing &
> coding jobs to third world countries, we need to replace that economic
> engine with something or this countries standard of living will quickly
> decline.
>
> Some fair means of protecting those assets would seem to be necessary.

Sure but who is really getting rich? It is a fact that the middle class has
been deteriorating at an alarming rate over that last ten years while the
upper class has been getting more wealthy and this has nothing to do with
software piracy...it has to do with lobbyist and Corporate America and the
lack of our "representatives" in Congress actually looking out for the
people that voted for them. Also, Americans generally are totally ignorant
of the current state of affairs and monitoring their "representatives"
falsely believing that Democrats are better than Republicans (or the other
way around) when the same American corporations run both. Clearly lobbyist
should be illegal...

Anyway, that is my rant for today,
Imhotep
--
*************************************
Pass a Net Neutrality Law in the US!!!!

Save the Internet:
http://www.savetheinternet.com/

Its our net:
http://www.itsournet.org/

zappa@takeurtvtubeandeatit.com

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 14:49:21 -0400, imhotep <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Translation: The music industry's lobbyists are working hard to buy the US
>Senators to push their agenda abroad....nice eh?
>
>Imhotep

No doubt they're happy, but it's really all just a cover to get all
the spyware into everyone's homes. Somewhere there's a happy guy at
the FBI who remembers typewriters and wooden file cases.