Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > MicroSoft Talks Daily With Your Computer

MicroSoft Talks Daily With Your Computer

imhotep

Funny how the infamous EULA does not specify this? Isn't it?

"Microsoft Corp. acknowledged Wednesday that it needs to better inform users
that its tool for determining whether a computer is running a pirated copy
of Windows also quietly checks in daily with the software maker. The
company said the undisclosed daily check is a safety measure designed to
allow the tool, called Windows Genuine Advantage, to quickly shut down in
case of a malfunction." The EULA is suppose to disclosed this daily call in
feature. Lauren Weinstein, who is co-founder of People for Internet
Responsibility, was one of the first people to notice the daily
communications to Microsoft. Report from Yahoo.com"

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?s...19253&from=rss
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060607/...JlYmhvBHNlYwM-

-- Imhotep

Roger Abell [MVP]

"imhotep" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...

> Funny how the infamous EULA does not specify this? Isn't it?
>
> "Microsoft Corp. acknowledged Wednesday that it needs to better inform
> users

. . .

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?s...19253&from=rss
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060607/ap_on_hi_te/microsoft_monitoring_piracy;_ylt=AujEpciXDaznfIp7r oidcYMjtBAF;_ylu=X3oDMTA0cDJlYmhvBHNlYwM> -- Imhotep>All the same, more people should read their EULA.txt agreement.I recall some universities that deeply deliberated over the internetservicing related clauses when they first appeared with XP . . .--ra

imhotep

Roger Abell [MVP] wrote:

> "imhotep" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>
>> Funny how the infamous EULA does not specify this? Isn't it?
>>
>> "Microsoft Corp. acknowledged Wednesday that it needs to better inform
>> users

> . . .
>
> http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?s...19253&from=rss

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060607/ap_on_hi_te/microsoft_monitoring_piracy;_ylt=AujEpciXDaznfIp7r oidcYMjtBAF;_ylu=X3oDMTA0cDJlYmhvBHNlYwM>
> -- Imhotep>All the same, more people should read their EULA.txt
> agreement.I recall some universities that deeply deliberated over the
> internetservicing related clauses when they first appeared with XP . .
> .--ra

True. Microsoft get's away with alot of stuff be cause most people do not
read that stupid thing....

anyway...

Imhotep

Henry

On Thu, 08 Jun 2006 18:46:37 -0400, imhotep <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Roger Abell [MVP] wrote:
>
>> "imhotep" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>>
>>> Funny how the infamous EULA does not specify this? Isn't it?
>>>
>>> "Microsoft Corp. acknowledged Wednesday that it needs to better inform
>>> users

>> . . .
>>
>> http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?s...19253&from=rss
>>

>http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060607/ap_on_hi_te/microsoft_monitoring_piracy;_ylt=AujEpciXDaznfIp7r oidcYMjtBAF;_ylu=X3oDMTA0cDJlYmhvBHNlYwM>
>> -- Imhotep>All the same, more people should read their EULA.txt
>> agreement.I recall some universities that deeply deliberated over the
>> internetservicing related clauses when they first appeared with XP . .
>> .--ra

>True. Microsoft get's away with alot of stuff be cause most people do not
>read that stupid thing....
>
>anyway...
>
>Imhotep

Does anyone know what microsoft site it hooks up to? I don't have the
problem so I can't check, but I have friends who may want to add it to
their hosts file.

Henry

imhotep

Henry wrote:

> On Thu, 08 Jun 2006 18:46:37 -0400, imhotep <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>Roger Abell [MVP] wrote:
>>
>>> "imhotep" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...

>>> . . .
>>>
>>> http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?s...19253&from=rss
>>>

>>http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060607/ap_on_hi_te/microsoft_monitoring_piracy;_ylt=AujEpciXDaznfIp7r oidcYMjtBAF;_ylu=X3oDMTA0cDJlYmhvBHNlYwM>
>>> -- Imhotep>All the same, more people should read their EULA.txt
>>> agreement.I recall some universities that deeply deliberated over the
>>> internetservicing related clauses when they first appeared with XP . .
>>> .--ra

>>True. Microsoft get's away with alot of stuff be cause most people do not
>>read that stupid thing....
>>
>>anyway...
>>
>>Imhotep

> Does anyone know what microsoft site it hooks up to? I don't have the
> problem so I can't check, but I have friends who may want to add it to
> their hosts file.
>
> Henry

....use a network sniffer

--
*************************************
Pass a Net Neutrality Law in the US!!!!

Save the Internet:
http://www.savetheinternet.com/

Its our net:
http://www.itsournet.org/

*************************************

Henry

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 01:30:57 -0400, imhotep <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Henry wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 08 Jun 2006 18:46:37 -0400, imhotep <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:

>>>http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060607/ap_on_hi_te/microsoft_monitoring_piracy;_ylt=AujEpciXDaznfIp7r oidcYMjtBAF;_ylu=X3oDMTA0cDJlYmhvBHNlYwM>
>>>
>>>True. Microsoft get's away with alot of stuff be cause most people do not
>>>read that stupid thing....
>>>
>>>anyway...
>>>
>>>Imhotep

>> Does anyone know what microsoft site it hooks up to? I don't have the
>> problem so I can't check, but I have friends who may want to add it to
>> their hosts file.
>>
>> Henry

>...use a network sniffer

Thank you for your reply,
but since I don't have the problem, I don't hook up, nor am I living
near those who might need the info.

Regards,
Henry