Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Router suggestions needed

Reply
Thread Tools

Router suggestions needed

 
 
Also None
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-24-2006
Hi all,

I am in the boonies with no hope of cable or dsl and the cost of
satilite is out of the question. I have a small network and running
xp pro using a router as a switch. I know there are routers with
dialup backup, but they seem out of reach too. I have several old
boxes that I could install dos. Is there any way to run such a box
through the wan port on the router so I could benefit from the
physical firewall? I found one program (Internet Extender v1.0b) but
the website doesn't answer. Would anyone have any other suggestions?

Regards,
George
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Sebastian Gottschalk
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-24-2006
Also None wrote:
> I have several old boxes that I could install dos. Is there any way
> to run such a box through the wan port on the router so I could
> benefit from the physical firewall? I found one program (Internet
> Extender v1.0b) but the website doesn't answer. Would anyone have
> any other suggestions?


Linux or BSD instead of DOS?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Imhotep
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-24-2006
Sebastian Gottschalk wrote:

> Also None wrote:
>> I have several old boxes that I could install dos. Is there any way
>> to run such a box through the wan port on the router so I could
>> benefit from the physical firewall? I found one program (Internet
>> Extender v1.0b) but the website doesn't answer. Would anyone have
>> any other suggestions?

>
> Linux or BSD instead of DOS?



Good suggestion. Linux/BSD makes a nice solution plus you can run it on
older hardware...

Im
 
Reply With Quote
 
Todd H.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-24-2006
Also None <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> Hi all,
>
> I am in the boonies with no hope of cable or dsl and the cost of
> satilite is out of the question. I have a small network and running
> xp pro using a router as a switch. I know there are routers with
> dialup backup, but they seem out of reach too.


I have an aging SMC Barricade 7004ABR switch/router that has a com
port to fall back to an external modem and a printer port to boot.
Not SPI, but I think it may get you where you wanna go.


--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
 
Reply With Quote
 
Todd H.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-24-2006
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Todd H.) writes:

> Also None <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I am in the boonies with no hope of cable or dsl and the cost of
> > satilite is out of the question. I have a small network and running
> > xp pro using a router as a switch. I know there are routers with
> > dialup backup, but they seem out of reach too.

>
> I have an aging SMC Barricade 7004ABR switch/router that has a com
> port to fall back to an external modem and a printer port to boot.
> Not SPI, but I think it may get you where you wanna go.


For shits and giggles, i checked ebay for smc7004abr and wonder if $15
might be in the budget?

http://cgi.ebay.com/SMC-Barricade-SM...QQcmdZViewItem




--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
 
Reply With Quote
 
Also None
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-24-2006
On 24 May 2006 00:08:58 -0500, (E-Mail Removed) (Todd H.) wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) (Todd H.) writes:
>
>> Also None <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > I am in the boonies with no hope of cable or dsl and the cost of
>> > satilite is out of the question. I have a small network and running
>> > xp pro using a router as a switch. I know there are routers with
>> > dialup backup, but they seem out of reach too.

>>
>> I have an aging SMC Barricade 7004ABR switch/router that has a com
>> port to fall back to an external modem and a printer port to boot.
>> Not SPI, but I think it may get you where you wanna go.

>
>For shits and giggles, i checked ebay for smc7004abr and wonder if $15
>might be in the budget?
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/SMC-Barricade-SM...QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks, for shits and giggles I can afford the 15 bucks. Just for
laughs, what is BSD. I see where to download it but it doesn't say
what type of os it is.

George
 
Reply With Quote
 
Todd H.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-24-2006
Also None <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> On 24 May 2006 00:08:58 -0500, (E-Mail Removed) (Todd H.) wrote:
>
> >(E-Mail Removed) (Todd H.) writes:
> >
> >> Also None <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> >> > Hi all,
> >> >
> >> > I am in the boonies with no hope of cable or dsl and the cost of
> >> > satilite is out of the question. I have a small network and running
> >> > xp pro using a router as a switch. I know there are routers with
> >> > dialup backup, but they seem out of reach too.
> >>
> >> I have an aging SMC Barricade 7004ABR switch/router that has a com
> >> port to fall back to an external modem and a printer port to boot.
> >> Not SPI, but I think it may get you where you wanna go.

> >
> >For shits and giggles, i checked ebay for smc7004abr and wonder if $15
> >might be in the budget?
> >
> > http://cgi.ebay.com/SMC-Barricade-SM...QQcmdZViewItem

> Thanks, for shits and giggles I can afford the 15 bucks. Just for
> laughs, what is BSD. I see where to download it but it doesn't say
> what type of os it is.


BSD is the version of UNIX developed at the University of California,
Berkeley. The most common freebies of this style are FreeBSD, and
OpenBSD. OpenBSD is revered as one of the most secure operating
systems you can get your hands on for free. You can run it on a
variety of hardware, including x86 PC's and cute little embedded boxes
like Soekris.com stuff. An old pc with a comm port and an external
modem would certainly be able to get you where you wanna go with much
geek bragging rights, but the learning curve isn't exactly simple,
particularly if you aren't a unix guy to begin with.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
 
Reply With Quote
 
~David~
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-24-2006
If you have an old box use linux or BSD. The 3 mail ones are freeBSD, openBSD,
and netBSD all of whose websites are <name>.org (ie freebsd.org) If you use
linux, use a tool like iptables for traffic routing, and use pf (packet filter)
for openBSD. You can make your own firewall and router from any of these systems.

Try this site on setting up a linux gateway:
http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/net...megateway.html

~David~

Also None wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am in the boonies with no hope of cable or dsl and the cost of
> satilite is out of the question. I have a small network and running
> xp pro using a router as a switch. I know there are routers with
> dialup backup, but they seem out of reach too. I have several old
> boxes that I could install dos. Is there any way to run such a box
> through the wan port on the router so I could benefit from the
> physical firewall? I found one program (Internet Extender v1.0b) but
> the website doesn't answer. Would anyone have any other suggestions?
>
> Regards,
> George

 
Reply With Quote
 
Also None
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-25-2006
On Wed, 24 May 2006 23:26:31 GMT, ~David~ <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>If you have an old box use linux or BSD. The 3 mail ones are freeBSD, openBSD,
>and netBSD all of whose websites are <name>.org (ie freebsd.org) If you use
>linux, use a tool like iptables for traffic routing, and use pf (packet filter)
>for openBSD. You can make your own firewall and router from any of these systems.
>
>Try this site on setting up a linux gateway:
>http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/net...megateway.html
>
>~David~
>
>Also None wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am in the boonies with no hope of cable or dsl and the cost of
>> satilite is out of the question. I have a small network and running
>> xp pro using a router as a switch. I know there are routers with
>> dialup backup, but they seem out of reach too. I have several old
>> boxes that I could install dos. Is there any way to run such a box
>> through the wan port on the router so I could benefit from the
>> physical firewall? I found one program (Internet Extender v1.0b) but
>> the website doesn't answer. Would anyone have any other suggestions?
>>
>> Regards,
>> George

Thank you to everyone. I ordered the router from ebay. I'm just not
sure I want to tackle linux right now. I can do dos real easy. I'll
check back when I get the router up and running. I don't know about
you folks, but my business (computer repair) is way down. Folks seem
to need the money for gasoline and the slow computer can wait.

Thanks again
George
 
Reply With Quote
 
Also None
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-03-2006
On Tue, 23 May 2006 20:57:48 -0400, Also None <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I am in the boonies with no hope of cable or dsl and the cost of
>satilite is out of the question. I have a small network and running
>xp pro using a router as a switch. I know there are routers with
>dialup backup, but they seem out of reach too. I have several old
>boxes that I could install dos. Is there any way to run such a box
>through the wan port on the router so I could benefit from the
>physical firewall? I found one program (Internet Extender v1.0b) but
>the website doesn't answer. Would anyone have any other suggestions?
>
>Regards,
>George


Waal, I recieved the router and it was easy to configure and works
just fine. Thanks to everyone for your help.

George

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Setting up a router with 29 Global IPs, BUT can't ping router internal interface from server or server interface from router war_wheelan@yahoo.com Cisco 1 12-14-2005 03:31 PM
Dynamic input form suggestions needed MattB ASP .Net 0 02-07-2005 04:13 PM
JNI:Performance:Suggestions/Advice needed Ganesh Java 2 04-03-2004 09:47 AM
Needed Suggestions Ramesh MCSD 10 01-20-2004 01:36 AM
Help esk Suggestions - Best Practices, Tool, ideas, suggestions, etc JohnNews Computer Support 3 06-23-2003 11:20 PM



Advertisments