Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Scanning of ports in network

Scanning of ports in network

zoraya

I use a computer inside a network, I use an online scanner like "Shields
Up" to find
out what ports are open and which ones are closed.

The scan indicates that some ports are closed like 119 or 465, but then I
am able to use
those ports as usual, is it because the firewall in my network is doing a
good job and
indicating the ports as closed or is the online scanner just not good
enough to detect
all the open ports?

B. Nice

On 17 May 2006 21:51:47 +0200, zoraya <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I use a computer inside a network, I use an online scanner like "Shields
>Up" to find
>out what ports are open and which ones are closed.

Be aware that ShieldsUp will check Your networks connection to the
internet (a firewall and/or router), not Your PC.

>The scan indicates that some ports are closed like 119 or 465, but then I
>am able to use
>those ports as usual,

Where? From the outside world or within Your network?

>is it because the firewall in my network is doing a
>good job and
>indicating the ports as closed or is the online scanner just not good
>enough to detect
>all the open ports?
>
>Inviato da X-Privat.Org - Registrazione gratuita http://www.x-privat.org/join.php

Sebastian Gottschalk

zoraya wrote:

> I use a computer inside a network, I use an online scanner like "Shields
> Up" to find out what ports are open and which ones are closed.

Well, what exactly? "Like ShiledUp" or some serious, reliable port scanner?

> The scan indicates that some ports are closed like 119 or 465, but then
> I am able to use those ports as usual,

Why "but"? Maybe you misunderstood the concepts of ports and TCP
connection states. Reread RFC 793.

zoraya

> Well, what exactly? "Like ShiledUp" or some serious, reliable port
> scanner?

Can you suggest anyother that you consider better? (Online scanner)

Todd H.

zoraya <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> > Well, what exactly? "Like ShiledUp" or some serious, reliable port
> > scanner?
> >

> Can you suggest anyother that you consider better? (Online scanner)

nmap is a real one.

For online, there's one at dslreports.com in the tool section.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

Sebastian Gottschalk

Todd H. wrote:

>>> Well, what exactly? "Like ShiledUp" or some serious, reliable port
>>> scanner?

A typical Freud typo

>> Can you suggest anyother that you consider better? (Online scanner)

> nmap is a real one.
>
> For online, there's one at dslreports.com in the tool section.

The problem with even some nmap-based online portscans is that they are
bad at tracking the session and are mangeling the output ("interpreting
it"), which creates unreliable and sometimes inconsistent results.

A known good one with raw output (and chooseable parameters) is
<http://www.linux-sec.net/Audit/nmap.test.gwif.html>.