Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Fact or Fiction?

Fact or Fiction?

Gremlin

SOiL wrote:
> Obviously this is way too sensible for USENET, but if the firewall can
> detect a breach, wouldn't a better response be to close the breach
> rather than start the several hours of secure wiping required for even
> reasonable sized drive?

Oh wait. They had some explosives attached to the hard disk. It will
detonate to wipe your data.

--

Regards,
Dustin Cook

Ron

SOiL wrote:
> To the orig poster, what possible benefit does such a terrorist have
> in
> putting his machine on the Internet? Wouldn't he just host his evil
> plans from the net cafe while his data archive is secure at home in
> the
> Faraday cage?

His system wasn't on the Internet but on a private network. But for the
most part, the story was written more towards suspense and drama, than
for accuracy so I wouldn't expect too much logic behind it.

Ron

Gremlin

> Not a firewall - but self-destructing hard drives without the need for
> random wipes DOES exist, though very expensive. It is called, "Dead On
> Demand" and can be destroyed by various methods instantly (including
> remotely). The best example would be Ensconce Data Technology:
> http://www.ensconcedata.com The technology uses a small vial of
> corrosive acid that completely destroys the drive platter - without
> damage to the rest of the computer. It's pretty "James Bond" like stuff
> and you pay dearly for it.

If your dealing with that type of information, it's a small price to
pay to ensure it doesn't leave that drive

--

Regards,
Dustin Cook

SamCY SamCY is offline
Junior Member

ther are some firewalls purchasable but not at the level it says on 24... the kinda firewall it mentions kills all accessable data on your computer to stop ppl from seein it... gfi is a good system to use if you want somethin like that but u can lose some data if it happens