Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Tor-MSN Messenger

Tor-MSN Messenger

Anonyma

I have respect for Tor. In this case what is to blame is MSN Messenger.

I wrote I want to hide from my sys admin but I could have written that I want to hide from my ISP.

Who cares?

What imports is to know if it is possible or not to torify this application. And nothing else.

nemo_outis

Anonyma <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I have respect for Tor. In this case what is to blame is MSN
> Messenger.
>
> I wrote I want to hide from my sys admin but I could have written that
> I want to hide from my ISP.
>
> Who cares?
>
> What imports is to know if it is possible or not to torify this
> application. And nothing else.

I know you specified MSN - and for that I don't have a solution (not
because there isn't a solution - there may well be! - but because I'm not
familiar with MSN and have no desire to extend my knowledge of grossly
deficient and unsatisfctory MS kludges

Instead I recommend you consider Gaim. It directly supports Socks5 (and
so can be torified). It also supports encryption (OTR and Gaim
Encryption).

It also has a few small fillips such as not responding to CTCP TIME
requests (which can partially disclose your location unless your machine
keeps UTC time).

Regards,

PS If you're determined to stick with MSN you might want to look into
Torcap2, a general-purpose socks4a (no DNS leaking) socksifier specifically
for Tor.

readme:
http://www.vv.carleton.ca/~cat/code/TorCap2-readme.txt
executable & source:
http://www.virtualventures.ca/~cat/

I've never experimented with this for instant messaging so you're into
terra incognita.

George Orwell

Anonyma wrote:

> I have respect for Tor. In this case what is to blame is MSN Messenger.
>
> I wrote I want to hide from my sys admin but I could have written that I
> want to hide from my ISP.
>
> Who cares?
>
> What imports is to know if it is possible or not to torify this
> application. And nothing else.

Yes, it's possible and very easy. You configure it and it works for
everyone else in the world but you apparently. Tools >> Options >>
Connection >> Advanced Settings. Set SOCKS5 proxy for 127.0.0.1:9050 and
HTTP Proxy for 127.0.0.1:8118 assuming Privoxy/Tor defaults. It can and
does work flawlessly.

Now, are you ready to quit being a little peckerhead so we can figure out
what your problem is and how to correct it, or would you be wanting to
have your ass kicked before you **** off without ever getting a clue about
what's going on?

Up to you kid. Makes no difference to any of us.