Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > POP3 Server Corrupt?

POP3 Server Corrupt?

Quercus Robur

I am helping a driend with his new Dell computer. He can not get Email. If
I follow:
Tools>accounts>mail>properties>servers
The POP3 sever name keeps being changed to 127.0.0.1 instead of
"xxxconnect.net"
I have been told this is a known problem with Norton AV and that I should
disable scanning incoming and outgoing mail, BUT, we are using McAfee AV,
which came installed.
Is this also a known problem with McAfee?
Is the solution the same?
Any work around? I hate to disable scanning.

Martin

K3

Quercus Robur wrote:
> I am helping a driend with his new Dell computer. He can not get
> Email. If I follow:
> Tools>accounts>mail>properties>servers
> The POP3 sever name keeps being changed to 127.0.0.1 instead of
> "xxxconnect.net"
> I have been told this is a known problem with Norton AV and that I
> should disable scanning incoming and outgoing mail, BUT, we are using
> McAfee AV, which came installed.
> Is this also a known problem with McAfee?
> Is the solution the same?
> Any work around? I hate to disable scanning.
>
> Martin

I just helped a friend with the same problem.

Although I'm not very familiar with McAfee, I remember that his email
settings were incorrect in McAfee's configuration.

Leave his email client configured as 127.0.0.1 and check the POP and SMTP
server settings in McAfee.

--
Kendall F. Stratton III
Fort Fairfield, Maine USA

"Support Bacteria - It's the only culture some people have!"

Winged

Quercus Robur wrote:
> I am helping a driend with his new Dell computer. He can not get Email. If
> I follow:
> Tools>accounts>mail>properties>servers
> The POP3 sever name keeps being changed to 127.0.0.1 instead of
> "xxxconnect.net"
> I have been told this is a known problem with Norton AV and that I should
> disable scanning incoming and outgoing mail, BUT, we are using McAfee AV,
> which came installed.
> Is this also a known problem with McAfee?
> Is the solution the same?
> Any work around? I hate to disable scanning.
>
> Martin

Hrrmm I have been using Norton for eons and never had the problem you
describe specifically and you are right to be leery of disabling
scanning. Is the machine able to resolve the DNS mail server name being
used? Can you insert the mail server IP address and connect?

Winged

Quercus Robur

If I type in the correct server name, it connects to his Email OK. One, two
or three days later the server name is changed to 127..... and he can no
longer connect. Virus scan reveals nothing.
Martin

"Winged" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:82757$4435b609$45493f2f$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Quercus Robur wrote:
>> I am helping a driend with his new Dell computer. He can not get Email.
>> If I follow:
>> Tools>accounts>mail>properties>servers
>> The POP3 sever name keeps being changed to 127.0.0.1 instead of
>> "xxxconnect.net"
>> I have been told this is a known problem with Norton AV and that I should
>> disable scanning incoming and outgoing mail, BUT, we are using McAfee AV,
>> which came installed.
>> Is this also a known problem with McAfee?
>> Is the solution the same?
>> Any work around? I hate to disable scanning.
>>
>> Martin

> Hrrmm I have been using Norton for eons and never had the problem you
> describe specifically and you are right to be leery of disabling scanning.
> Is the machine able to resolve the DNS mail server name being used? Can
> you insert the mail server IP address and connect?
>
> Winged

Quercus Robur

I was unable to find where the POP3 and SMTP settings are within McAfee
software.
I did disable scanning incoming and outgoing mail, but that did not fix the
problem.
I guess I am going to talk to his ISP next, but any further suggestions
would be appreciated.
Martin

news:vskZf.67823$(E-Mail Removed)...

q_q_anonymous@yahoo.co.uk

Quercus Robur wrote:
> I was unable to find where the POP3 and SMTP settings are within McAfee
> software.
> I did disable scanning incoming and outgoing mail, but that did not fix the
> problem.
> I guess I am going to talk to his ISP next, but any further suggestions
> would be appreciated.
> Martin

remove mcaffee and/or norton. install smaller software that plays less
games.

Windows has a firewall built in.
For anti virus, consider a free prog like AVG.