Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > disk wiping

disk wiping

Nick

What do you guys use to do low-level initialization of the hard drives?

Thanks

Winged

Nick wrote:
> What do you guys use to do low-level initialization of the hard drives?
>
> Thanks

Utility that is typically available from the drive manufacturer. It
varies depending on mfg and in some cases drive model.

Winged

Sebastian Gottschalk

Nick wrote:
> What do you guys use to do low-level initialization of the hard drives?

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hdXY bs=1M

Jim Watt

On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 14:24:28 +0200, Sebastian Gottschalk
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Nick wrote:
>> What do you guys use to do low-level initialization of the hard drives?

>dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hdXY bs=1M

hardly any use on windows, but is it what was traditionally a 'low
level' format? I think not.

In the days of MFM disks with two connectors one needed to
do a low level format and manually enter the bad track map.

Thats all changed, and is debatable whether one can do a real
low level format any more, and its worth if you could.

I welcome suggestions on what to do with my pile of Fujitsu
MPG320AT drives accumulated with the hope of one day
returning them to their maker with extreme prejudice.
--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

Sebastian Gottschalk

Jim Watt wrote:

>>> What do you guys use to do low-level initialization of the hard drives?

>> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hdXY bs=1M

> hardly any use on windows,

Windows Services for Unix comes with a dd.exe and /dev/hdX maps to the
relevant \Device\HarddiskY. Or what about CoLinux?

Anyway, who said that Windows is the tool of choice?

> but is it what was traditionally a 'low level' format? I think not.

You're right, but this is what a 'low level' format is on today's
harddrives.

> Thats all changed, and is debatable whether one can do a real
> low level format any more, and its worth if you could.

Oh, with SCSI you can still access the raw blocks directly, including
spare reserves. On ATA I haven't seen any such commands yet.

Jim Watt

On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 00:55:23 +0200, Sebastian Gottschalk
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Anyway, who said that Windows is the tool of choice?

Bill Gates, and others.

Anyhow, yesterday I had a buggered up disk and ran
Spinrite 6 on it which operates under FreeDos and
today I have a disk that works.

Possibly thats more general and useful than a 'low level
format' to recover a disk's functionality and its data.

see: www.grc.com

Well worth the modest $89
--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

Sebastian Gottschalk

Jim Watt wrote:
> On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 00:55:23 +0200, Sebastian Gottschalk
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

Could you please shorten your bloated introduction?

>> Anyway, who said that Windows is the tool of choice?

> Bill Gates, and others.

Well, so no one you have to care of. A Live Linux System is always the
best suggestion for such a job.

> Anyhow, yesterday I had a buggered up disk and ran
> Spinrite 6 on it which operates under FreeDos and
> today I have a disk that works.

Or you could have run fsck or even Windows' chkdsk.

see <http://www.grcsucks.com>, especially
<http://www.grcsucks.com/spinrite.htm>

> Well worth the modest $89

fsck does the same for free without repeating and claiming some
additional bullshit that can't work anyway

M. Decker

Old and good:
http://dban.sourceforge.net/

Usable methods:

# QuickErase
# RCMP TSSIT OPS-II
# DoD Short
# DoD 5220-22.M
# Gutmann Wipe
# PRNG Stream

Boot from CD or disc, enter dod, wait for 1-4 hours (depends on your
system... Speed, hdd size...)

After this your disc is clean!

--
Michael Decker http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
TESIS SYSware GmbH http://www.tesis.de

Borked Pseudo Mailed

On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 13:27:54 +0200, while shoving live gerbils
down the front of his polyester leisure suit pants, Sebastian Gottschalk
giggled and submitted the following statements in ASCII text format to the
Usenet Newsgroup alt.computer.security, in the thread "Re: disk wiping":

> Could you please shorten your bloated introduction?

No.

By the way, why did you flee the thread regarding GDI+ vulnerabilities?

Can you explain your glaring lack of knowledge of packet filters?

Are you still operating under the false assumption that the Gaobot worm
and it's variants are root kits?

Do you suppose this sort of juvenile behavior has something to do with the
fact that you've been kicked out of every forum you've ever tried to
participate in?

>>> Anyway, who said that Windows is the tool of choice?

>> Bill Gates, and others.

> Well, so no one you have to care of. A Live Linux System is always the
> best suggestion for such a job.

No, not always. Especially not when dealing with HPFS partitions. The
specific "advice" you gave could easily destroy such file systems. IF you
manage to gain R/W access at all that is.

What's that...... strike 11 or 12 now?

Jim Watt

On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 13:27:54 +0200, Sebastian Gottschalk
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Could you please shorten your bloated introduction?

No, its not 'bloated' its the default introduction generated by
Agent - a popular and excellent newsreader and identifies the
source of the rubbish you have posted.

>A Live Linux System is always the best suggestion for such a job.

So you say, but I've been dealing with hard disk problems
since they came on a 13" platter and have managed without linux.

>fsck does the same for free without repeating and claiming some
>additional bullshit that can't work anyway

Hello? is there anyone there? this is not Linux and its
not a Linux file system and fsck does NOT 'do the same thing'.

Perhaps you should try Spinright instead of talking out of
your arse.

Anyhow, in answer to the original poster for disk wiping a format
program is not the right solution, even if a suitable 'low level' one
were available.
--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com