Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > spoofing the e-mail address

spoofing the e-mail address

Nick

Hi

I have noticed that some posters have a spoofed e-mail address.
How do they do that?

Thanks

Jim Watt

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 07:12:37 GMT, "Nick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi
>
>I have noticed that some posters have a spoofed e-mail address.
>How do they do that?
>
>Thanks

Because otherwise evil bastards collect them automatically
and you set shedloads of advertising about pills, loans and
the latest stock nonsense.

--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

CJ

Jim Watt wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 07:12:37 GMT, "Nick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I have noticed that some posters have a spoofed e-mail address.
>> How do they do that?
>>
>> Thanks
>>

> Because otherwise evil bastards collect them automatically
> and you set shedloads of advertising about pills, loans and
> the latest stock nonsense.

That was the 'why'.

The how is to set the newsreader up with a fake address. In Outlook Express,
for example, Tools, Accounts, News, Properties, Email, and type
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)rubbish

Etiquette says use a fake TLD address such as @now.invalid rather than one
which may be real, eg @ now.com, that you may not be entitled to use,
otherwise the rightful owner gets spammed. See 'why' above.

Some people use their real address interspersed with added text such as
REMOVETHISBIT so that anyone who needs to know a real address can work it
out whereas the harvesting bots just hoover up the whole thing.

CJ

Example

CJ wrote:
> Jim Watt wrote:
>> On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 07:12:37 GMT, "Nick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I have noticed that some posters have a spoofed e-mail address.
>>> How do they do that?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>

>> Because otherwise evil bastards collect them automatically
>> and you set shedloads of advertising about pills, loans and
>> the latest stock nonsense.

> That was the 'why'.
>
> The how is to set the newsreader up with a fake address. In Outlook Express,
> for example, Tools, Accounts, News, Properties, Email, and type
> (E-Mail Removed)rubbish
>
> Etiquette says use a fake TLD address such as @now.invalid rather than one
> which may be real, eg @ now.com, that you may not be entitled to use,
> otherwise the rightful owner gets spammed. See 'why' above.
>
> Some people use their real address interspersed with added text such as
> REMOVETHISBIT so that anyone who needs to know a real address can work it
> out whereas the harvesting bots just hoover up the whole thing.
>
> CJ

I just use example.com domain to post. Then I post my public pgp key on
alt.privacy.pgp for those that want to communicate with me securely.
___________________
Sean Heeger
2043 Elm St.
Quincy, ll 62301

Ron Lopshire

Nick wrote:

> I have noticed that some posters have a spoofed e-mail address.
> How do they do that?

Nick,

It's a jungle out there.

How to mung your email address for newsgroups --- without causing harm
to someone else:

(http://www.2kevin.net/munging.html)

Ron

Nick

"Ron Lopshire" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Nick wrote:
>
>> I have noticed that some posters have a spoofed e-mail address.
>> How do they do that?

> Nick,
>
> It's a jungle out there.
>
> How to mung your email address for newsgroups --- without causing harm to
> someone else:
>
> (http://www.2kevin.net/munging.html)
>
> Ron

Thanks all!

I had the wrong impression that my ISP would not allow a spoofed account.

Half_Light

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 08:37:42 -0500, Ron Lopshire <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>It's a jungle out there.
>
>How to mung your email address for newsgroups --- without causing harm
>to someone else:
>
> (http://www.2kevin.net/munging.html)
>
>Ron

What I want to know is how one spoofs *all* their headers.

Half_Light

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 23:19:08 GMT, "Nick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Thanks all!
>
>I had the wrong impression that my ISP would not allow a spoofed account.

Years ago the usenet FAQ said it was not allowed but it is accepted
now because the spam has gotten so bad.

Nick

"Half_Light" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 23:19:08 GMT, "Nick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Thanks all!
>>
>>I had the wrong impression that my ISP would not allow a spoofed account.
>>

> Years ago the usenet FAQ said it was not allowed but it is accepted
> now because the spam has gotten so bad.

Yeah, some people do not have headers here, especially that "Organization"
thingy
Let me know if you find a way... I will do the same .