Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Interpret this please

Interpret this please

charlie

Netstat said 204-2-177-35 deploy akami.....
Could some trojan be hiding?
I've cleaned the computer an can find nothing

donnie

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 20:05:50 -0600, charlie <@concordia.net> wrote:

>Netstat said 204-2-177-35 deploy akami.....
>Could some trojan be hiding?
>I've cleaned the computer an can find nothing

###################################
What port was it connected to under the foreign address column?

charlie

donnie wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 20:05:50 -0600, charlie <@concordia.net> wrote:
>

>>Netstat said 204-2-177-35 deploy akami.....
>>Could some trojan be hiding?
>>I've cleaned the computer an can find nothing

> ###################################
> What port was it connected to under the foreign address column?

I didn't take enough time to record before closing down in a hurry.
it was four digits I think though.

lgr_joly@yahoo.com

Some of your data might be tracked but that's no trojan. You must have
visited an e-business site that uses some B2B Akamai services. For a
better understanding you can have a look at their web site:
http://www.akamai.com

Don Kelloway

"charlie" <@concordia.net> wrote in message
news:JNoUf.356$(E-Mail Removed)...
> donnie wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 20:05:50 -0600, charlie <@concordia.net> wrote:
>>

>>>Netstat said 204-2-177-35 deploy akami.....
>>>Could some trojan be hiding?
>>>I've cleaned the computer an can find nothing

>> ###################################
>> What port was it connected to under the foreign address column?
>>

> I didn't take enough time to record before closing down in a hurry.
> it was four digits I think though.

I suspect you may have run the netstat command from the Start | Run option
as opposed to running it from within a DOS Window. Try running it again
from a DOS Window. This way the results will not open/close in such a rapid
fashion.

--
Best regards, from Don Kelloway of Commodon Communications
Visit http://www.commodon.com to learn about the "Threats to Your Security

donnie

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 21:41:31 -0600, charlie <@concordia.net> wrote:

>donnie wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 20:05:50 -0600, charlie <@concordia.net> wrote:
>>

>>>Netstat said 204-2-177-35 deploy akami.....
>>>Could some trojan be hiding?
>>>I've cleaned the computer an can find nothing

>> ###################################
>> What port was it connected to under the foreign address column?
>>

>I didn't take enough time to record before closing down in a hurry.
>it was four digits I think though.

#####################################
When reading the netstat -an output, it's importrant to note the port
# in the foreign address column as well as the IP of course.. That
port is the destination port. The port in the local address column
(your machine) is a random port. That goes for windows and unix.
That's called the source port. The destination port denotes a service
and that tells you what you need to know to determine if it's legit or
not.

David H. Lipman

From: "charlie" <@concordia.net>

| Netstat said 204-2-177-35 deploy akami.....
| Could some trojan be hiding?
| I've cleaned the computer an can find nothing

Insufficient information.

Off hand I would say NO. Akamai is often used by reputable companies for load-balancing.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Half_Light

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 02:53:43 GMT, "David H. Lipman"
<DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>Insufficient information.
>
>Off hand I would say NO. Akamai is often used by reputable companies for load-balancing.

I couldn't download video drivers from ATI and it was because HPhosts
HOSTS file had blocked akamai.net. HPhosts eventually removed
akamai.net when it was pointed out that akamia.net is used by many
companies to provide better bandwidth for download servers. I've read
that they have also been used as an ad server too though so that was
why it was initially blocked.

David H. Lipman

From: "Half_Light" <(E-Mail Removed)>

| I couldn't download video drivers from ATI and it was because HPhosts
| HOSTS file had blocked akamai.net. HPhosts eventually removed
| akamai.net when it was pointed out that akamia.net is used by many
| companies to provide better bandwidth for download servers. I've read
| that they have also been used as an ad server too though so that was
| why it was initially blocked.

Akamai recently bought speedera.net and McAfee and other AV companies use their services for
AV signature file distribution such as; ftp://ftp.nai.speedera.net