Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Google

Google

MOB

I rarely use Internet Explorer; I use Firefox. For both browsers, I
use Google as my homepage.

I just went to Internet Explorer "History". I discovered that there
are a multitude of "My Computer" icons and listed thereunder are
actual files that have been accessed when I do Searches.

I don't understand this. It seems to mean that Google is able to look
into all of my files in which I Search for key words -- something I do
continuously every day.

These Searches aare not only ones that I do from Start/Search; they
include Searches that I do from inside WordPerfect.

Is there a setting somewhere that gives Google this permission?

In Firefox, none of these Searches appear in History.

Please explain what is happening here and if the privacy of my files
is being breached.

Anxious.

Sebastian Gottschalk

MOB wrote:
> I rarely use Internet Explorer; I use Firefox. For both browsers, I
> use Google as my homepage.
>
> I just went to Internet Explorer "History". I discovered that there
> are a multitude of "My Computer" icons and listed thereunder are
> actual files that have been accessed when I do Searches.
>
> I don't understand this. It seems to mean that Google is able to look
> into all of my files in which I Search for key words -- something I do
> continuously every day.

Wrong conclusion.
The right conclusion is: IE is so tightly integrated into the system
that it doesn't differ much between web URLs and local files. So the
local file access history and the web history are mixed up, always.

> In Firefox, none of these Searches appear in History.

Well, in contrary to IE, Firefox is a webbrowser.

Todd H.

MOB <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> I rarely use Internet Explorer; I use Firefox. For both browsers, I
> use Google as my homepage.

Google appreciates this.

> I just went to Internet Explorer "History". I discovered that there
> are a multitude of "My Computer" icons and listed thereunder are
> actual files that have been accessed when I do Searches.
>
> I don't understand this. It seems to mean that Google is able to look
> into all of my files in which I Search for key words -- something I do
> continuously every day.

No, I don't think so.

However, if you have google desktop search installed, be wary about
the possibility that they might be offering that to, at some point,
possibly change their privacy policy and use their indexing of your
files to enhance their profile of your interests. THe world hopes
they don't, but nothing technically would prevent that, which is
somewhat disconcerting.

> These Searches aare not only ones that I do from Start/Search; they
> include Searches that I do from inside WordPerfect.

Wordperfect likely uses windows API's to search your local computer,
and those api's probably hook into IE, so that's not too surprising.

> Is there a setting somewhere that gives Google this permission?

I'm not sure why you think google is implicated based on what you've
presented here as th eevidence you've found.

> In Firefox, none of these Searches appear in History.

Becase firefox isn't part of the windows operating system.

> Please explain what is happening here and if the privacy of my files
> is being breached.

I don't think is, but it's a concern well worth having. If you have
3rd party browser add-ins of any sort, read those privacy policies
carefully, and prepare for the possibility they might one day change!

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

MOB

On 16 Mar 2006 10:25:52 -0600, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Todd H.) wrote:

>MOB <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> I rarely use Internet Explorer; I use Firefox. For both browsers, I
>> use Google as my homepage.

>Google appreciates this.
>
>> I just went to Internet Explorer "History". I discovered that there
>> are a multitude of "My Computer" icons and listed thereunder are
>> actual files that have been accessed when I do Searches.
>>
>> I don't understand this. It seems to mean that Google is able to look
>> into all of my files in which I Search for key words -- something I do
>> continuously every day.

>No, I don't think so.
>
>However, if you have google desktop search installed, be wary about
>the possibility that they might be offering that to, at some point,
>possibly change their privacy policy and use their indexing of your
>files to enhance their profile of your interests. THe world hopes
>they don't, but nothing technically would prevent that, which is
>somewhat disconcerting.

Where can I find out if google desktop search is installed?

>> These Searches are not only ones that I do from Start/Search; they
>> include Searches that I do from inside WordPerfect.

>Wordperfect likely uses windows API's to search your local computer,
>and those api's probably hook into IE, so that's not too surprising.
>
>> Is there a setting somewhere that gives Google this permission?

>I'm not sure why you think google is implicated based on what you've
>presented here as th eevidence you've found.

Because it is -- oh, are you saying that the "History" feature on the
task bar above is not a Google feature but an IE feature? So should
my question be, does Internet Explorer or. looking ahead to your next
statement, MS Windows, have access to the contents of my files?

>> In Firefox, none of these Searches appear in History.

>Becase firefox isn't part of the windows operating system.
>
>> Please explain what is happening here and if the privacy of my files
>> is being breached.

>I don't think so, but it's a concern well worth having. If you have
>3rd party browser add-ins of any sort, read those privacy policies
>carefully, and prepare for the possibility they might one day change!

Can you give me an example of a "3rd party browser add-in"?

Thanks,

Todd H.

MOB <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Where can I find out if google desktop search is installed?

Start>Settings>Control Panel> Add/Remove Programs. If you see
an entry for Google Desktop Search, you have it.

> >I'm not sure why you think google is implicated based on what you've
> >presented here as th eevidence you've found.

> Because it is -- oh, are you saying that the "History" feature on the
> task bar above is not a Google feature but an IE feature? So should
> my question be, does Internet Explorer or. looking ahead to your next
> statement, MS Windows, have access to the contents of my files?

Corrct. Plain vanilla IE has a search button up there under teh pull
down menus (my Search icon is located visually just below the Tools
pulldown menu) in it and it can be used to either search the web
(using msn search) files or folder, computer or people.

This will be the case regardless of who you choose for your home
page.

> Can you give me an example of a "3rd party browser add-in"?

Google toolbar. Yahoo toolbar. MySearch. Any software that shims
into your browser, or any software you install from the internet, or
anywhere else is a possible vector for third parties to gather info
about you.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

MOB

On 16 Mar 2006 10:54:48 -0600, (E-Mail Removed) (Todd H.) wrote:

>MOB <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> Where can I find out if google desktop search is installed?

>Start>Settings>Control Panel> Add/Remove Programs. If you see
>an entry for Google Desktop Search, you have it.

I see Google Toolbar for IE, but not Google Desktop Search.

>> >I'm not sure why you think google is implicated based on what you've
>> >presented here as th eevidence you've found.

>> Because it is -- oh, are you saying that the "History" feature on the
>> task bar above is not a Google feature but an IE feature? So should
>> my question be, does Internet Explorer or. looking ahead to your next
>> statement, MS Windows, have access to the contents of my files?

>Corrct. Plain vanilla IE has a search button up there under teh pull
>down menus (my Search icon is located visually just below the Tools
>pulldown menu) in it and it can be used to either search the web
>(using msn search) files or folder, computer or people.
>
>This will be the case regardless of who you choose for your home
>page.
>
>> Can you give me an example of a "3rd party browser add-in"?

>Google toolbar. Yahoo toolbar. MySearch. Any software that shims
>into your browser, or any software you install from the internet, or
>anywhere else is a possible vector for third parties to gather info
>about you.

And I do have Google toolbar, but I don't see Yahoo toolbar, and I
don't know what MySearch is. I'm going to remove Google toolbar from
Add/Remove Programs and see what happens.

Thanks,