Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Locating a server

Reply
Thread Tools

Locating a server

 
 
Mr Free User
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-07-2006
Moe Trin wrote:
> On Tue, 07 Mar 200600, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.computer.security, in article
> <440d66cb$0$76207$(E-Mail Removed) ews.net>, Mr Free User wrote:
>
>> George Orwell wrote:
>>> If you want real answers, give real information.


<snip>

> So the question is, why is it important that the server be 'off-shore'?
> There is (without legal intervention) very little you can do to trace it
> to an actual location


Thanks that's very informative.
For me it's neither here nor there if it's "Off-shore" i.e. Outside the
USA. It is touted as "Off-Shore" and my very basic investigation and
limited capability determined it was most probably US based. It is an
open forum discussing medication and sources thereof as I'm sure you're
aware. I'm led to believe such forums may be under scrutiny by some
authorities in the US and are routinely closed down.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Dazza
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-07-2006

"Mr Free User" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:440d66cb$0$76207$(E-Mail Removed) reenews.net...
> George Orwell wrote:
>> If you want real answers, give real information. Tell the class what
>> forum
>> you're talking about specifically, and we'll check to make sure you're
>> not
>> looking at the wrong IP to begin with, then tell you exactly where it's
>> located with a really high degree of accuracy.

>
> As requested opreview dot net


If you do a nslookup on that name get the IP addy... Then do nslookup on
the IP addy and you will see that comes out as spunk.voltnet.org
72.20.26.169 go do some whois on voltnet.org....

See if that help you


Dazza


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Moe Trin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-08-2006
On Tue, 07 Mar 2006, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.computer.security, in article
<440df3e1$0$76718$(E-Mail Removed) ews.net>, Mr Free User wrote:

>For me it's neither here nor there if it's "Off-shore" i.e. Outside the
>USA. It is touted as "Off-Shore" and my very basic investigation and
>limited capability determined it was most probably US based.


As mentioned, it's awfully hard to say "from here" that any computer is
truly located in any particular place. Packet sniffing and looking at
the packet headers may offer additional clues, but without involving the
legal types, it's never going to be positive. Even if you managed to get
in contact with someone at the hosting center, they'd likely not provide
positive information due to privacy concerns. By the way, did you notice
the phone number of the registered domain owner? The "owner" of the
domain providing name service ("in Dublin, Ireland") reports a Seattle
area phone number - even though the hosts appear to be in LA.

>It is an open forum discussing medication and sources thereof as I'm sure
>you're aware.


Actually, no - my reference to Bethesda MD has a slightly different
meaning. When I tried to reach the server, I got no response what-so-ever.

>I'm led to believe such forums may be under scrutiny by some
>authorities in the US and are routinely closed down.


Couldn't prove it by me. US Public Health Service may have an interest,
but I see no reason they would close down a site. It's protected under
the constitution. Should individuals be involved with unapproved, or
illicit drugs, or should the drugs be crossing state (or international)
borders, the Feds might get onto individuals, but closing a site? Why?
It might be considered a good source of leads. Local or individual state
authorities would probably act in similar mode.

Old guy
 
Reply With Quote
 
Winged
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-09-2006
Moe Trin wrote:
> On Tue, 07 Mar 200600, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.computer.security, in article
> <440d66cb$0$76207$(E-Mail Removed) ews.net>, Mr Free User wrote:
>
>> George Orwell wrote:
>>> If you want real answers, give real information.

>
>> As requested opreview dot net

>
> Registrant:
> Miriam Schonberger
> Miriam Schonberger ((E-Mail Removed))
> 12-150 E Briarwood Ave Suite
> 348
> Centennial
> Colorado,80112
> US
> Tel. +1.30364998
>
> Creation Date: 03-Feb-2006
>
> However, that smells funny. 'Centennial, Colorado' is a suburb of Denver,
> about 16 miles South of the state capital building. The address itself
> seems to be munged.
>
> [compton ~]$ host opreview.net
> opreview.net has address 72.20.26.169
> opreview.net mail is handled (pri=0) by opreview.net
> [compton ~]$ host 72.20.26.169
> 169.26.20.72.IN-ADDR.ARPA domain name pointer spunk.voltnet.org
> [compton ~]$
>
> Voltnet.org is hiding their registration information through a mailbox
> at what appears to be the UPS Store at Los Angeles International Airport.
> The registration data also has what appears to be "inconsistent" information.
> The nameservers authoritative for opreview.net are _registered_ in "Dublin,
> Ireland, again with "inconsistent" information, but TTLs strongly suggest
> otherwise.
>
> The IP address is assigned to Staminus Communications in Fullerton, CA,
> but it doesn't appear to be on line at the moment, and Staminus is not
> responding to whois queries. A trace blackholes in Los Angeles. Ah, it's
> a firewall - looks like the facility _MAY_BE_ in Irvine, CA.
>
> However as others have pointed out, that itself is meaningless. Were you to
> look up my employer, you'd find a New York state address, but the last host
> to respond to a trace is near San Francisco. Looking at my headers, you'd
> find I'm probably in Arizona, but other facilities of the company are in
> Japan, France, Brazil, and elsewhere. Oh, and I'm not posting from their
> address space.
>
> So the question is, why is it important that the server be 'off-shore'?
> There is (without legal intervention) very little you can do to trace it
> to an actual location, and who knows - it might be being forwarded to a
> server in a basement across the river from Bethesda, Maryland (though I
> doubt that very much - to crude). I'll say this much - the server is trying
> to hide a lot of data.
>
> Old guy

Hush, that basement room is secret..

Winged
 
Reply With Quote
 
Moe Trin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-09-2006
On Thu, 09 Mar 2006, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.computer.security, in article
<(E-Mail Removed)>, Winged wrote:

>Moe Trin wrote:


>> There is (without legal intervention) very little you can do to trace it
>> to an actual location, and who knows - it might be being forwarded to a
>> server in a basement across the river from Bethesda, Maryland (though I
>> doubt that very much - to crude).


>Hush, that basement room is secret..


You'll notice I didn't identify how far across the river it is. The older
houses all have basements in that part of the country, so I'm not telling
to much.

Old guy
 
Reply With Quote
 
John Hyde
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-09-2006
on 3/9/2006 12:03 PM Moe Trin said the following:
> On Thu, 09 Mar 2006, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.computer.security, in article
> <(E-Mail Removed)>, Winged wrote:
>
>
>>Moe Trin wrote:

>
>
>>>There is (without legal intervention) very little you can do to trace it
>>>to an actual location, and who knows - it might be being forwarded to a
>>>server in a basement across the river from Bethesda, Maryland (though I
>>>doubt that very much - to crude).

>
>
>>Hush, that basement room is secret..

>
>
> You'll notice I didn't identify how far across the river it is. The older
> houses all have basements in that part of the country, so I'm not telling
> to much.
>
> Old guy


What? In Anacostia? Or . . . maybe you meant some other river . . .
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Getting error error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified juvi ASP .Net 3 01-22-2009 12:05 PM
Login destinationpageurl error: 26 - Error Locating Server on deployment jobs ASP .Net Security 0 06-07-2007 01:30 AM
deploying aspnetdb membership .. error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance jobs ASP .Net 4 06-06-2007 10:35 PM
Error connecting to SQLExpress 2005 locally (error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified) hfk0 ASP .Net 2 03-27-2006 08:43 PM
Locating available wi fi hotspots =?Utf-8?B?SmltYm8=?= Wireless Networking 0 11-16-2005 09:51 PM



Advertisments