Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > easy one

easy one

RB

Got an old Gateway 2000 I'm trying to get going for a struggling church
youth group. It was the office pc some years back, and has been stored. No
one is around now who was here back when it was used. Password long since
lost. I tried all the easy ones, "church", "office", etc; no go.

I believe the password demand problem is a pc (Gateway) thing, not a Windows
password. The reason I say this is because it pops up right away----before
Windows loads.

How do I deal with this?

CJ

RB wrote:
> Got an old Gateway 2000 I'm trying to get going for a struggling
> church youth group. It was the office pc some years back, and has
> been stored. No one is around now who was here back when it was
> used. Password long since lost. I tried all the easy ones,
> "church", "office", etc; no go.
> I believe the password demand problem is a pc (Gateway) thing, not a
> Windows password. The reason I say this is because it pops up right
> away----before Windows loads.
>
> How do I deal with this?

Try clearing the BIOS, failing that just reformat the disk and reinstall.

CJ

RB

How do I clear the BIOS?

CJ

RB wrote:
> How do I clear the BIOS?

Google "how do I clear the BIOS"

CJ

Kerodo

In article <tL1Of.591$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Got an old Gateway 2000 I'm trying to get going for a struggling church
> youth group. It was the office pc some years back, and has been stored. No
> one is around now who was here back when it was used. Password long since
> lost. I tried all the easy ones, "church", "office", etc; no go.
>
> I believe the password demand problem is a pc (Gateway) thing, not a Windows
> password. The reason I say this is because it pops up right away----before
> Windows loads.
>
> How do I deal with this?

It does sound like a BIOS password. See if you can hit the delete key
repeatedly at boot time and that should get you into the bios setup.
Don't know if you can change the password though, since it will probably
ask you for the existing one first. No idea how you'd wipe that from
the bios setup though.
--
Kerodo

CJ

Kerodo wrote:
> It does sound like a BIOS password. See if you can hit the delete key
> repeatedly at boot time and that should get you into the bios setup.
> Don't know if you can change the password though, since it will
> probably ask you for the existing one first. No idea how you'd wipe
> that from the bios setup though.

http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERB...50890119.shtml

CJ

RB

Thanks very much. This is a new one for me. Good to keep learning things,
though.

donnie

On Fri, 3 Mar 2006 14:37:41 -0600, "RB" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Got an old Gateway 2000 I'm trying to get going for a struggling church
>youth group. It was the office pc some years back, and has been stored. No
>one is around now who was here back when it was used. Password long since
>lost. I tried all the easy ones, "church", "office", etc; no go.
>
>I believe the password demand problem is a pc (Gateway) thing, not a Windows
>password. The reason I say this is because it pops up right away----before
>Windows loads.
>
>How do I deal with this?

What BIOS is it? It might flash on the screen right before the passwd
prompt. I have a couple of files w/ default BIOS passwds.

CJ

RB wrote:
> Thanks very much. This is a new one for me. Good to keep learning
> things, though.

You are welcome.

CJ