Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Cat 65xx rack mount vs shelf

Cat 65xx rack mount vs shelf

Lester

We are moving to a colo facility that only has cabinets. We have
several Cats that used to be racked in open racks. The colo guys tell
us to put them on shelves in cabinets. Will there be weight issues
with shelves?
Thanks
Lester

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
Lester <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:We are moving to a colo facility that only has cabinets. We have
:several Cats that used to be racked in open racks. The colo guys tell
:us to put them on shelves in cabinets. Will there be weight issues
:with shelves?

Maybe. It depends on the loading capability of the shelves, which
is something you would have to find out from the colo.

6503: chassis 27 lbs, fully loaded: 83 lbs
6506: chassis 45 lbs, fully loaded: 115 lbs
6509: chassis 55 lbs, fully loaded: 135 lbs
6509-NEB: chassis 55 lbs, fully loaded: 135 lbs
6509-NEB-A: chassis 121 lb, fully loaded: 270 lbs
6513: fully loaded, 240 lbs

But then you have airflow and spacing issues. I suggest you
look over the figures at
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/...ug/0aspecs.htm
--
Sub-millibarn resolution bio-hyperdimensional plasmatic space
polyimaging is just around the corner. -- Corry Lee Smith

Scooby

news:bqstg0$ljd$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
> Lester <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> :We are moving to a colo facility that only has cabinets. We have
> :several Cats that used to be racked in open racks. The colo guys tell
> :us to put them on shelves in cabinets. Will there be weight issues
> :with shelves?
>
> Maybe. It depends on the loading capability of the shelves, which
> is something you would have to find out from the colo.
>
> 6503: chassis 27 lbs, fully loaded: 83 lbs
> 6506: chassis 45 lbs, fully loaded: 115 lbs
> 6509: chassis 55 lbs, fully loaded: 135 lbs
> 6509-NEB: chassis 55 lbs, fully loaded: 135 lbs
> 6509-NEB-A: chassis 121 lb, fully loaded: 270 lbs
> 6513: fully loaded, 240 lbs
>
> But then you have airflow and spacing issues. I suggest you
> look over the figures at

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/...00hw/inst_aug/
0aspecs.htm
> --
> Sub-millibarn resolution bio-hyperdimensional plasmatic space
> polyimaging is just around the corner. -- Corry Lee Smith

Actually, with the cabinet, weight is less of a concern. Usually in a rack,
all the weight is supported with the brackets at the front. Depending how
you mount it, you can move that weight a little bit closer to the center.
With the cabinet, there is a rack in the front and one in the back, so the
shelf will have it's weight fully supported all the way around. Those
shelves can hold quite a bit of weight. Not sure about the ones that are
240 and 270, but I would guess they'd be fine with the setups that I've
seen. Structurally and aesthetically, cabinets are a much better choice,
they are just such a pain to get stuff in and out of. BTW - you can still
rack mount it even in the cabinet with shelves, the rack is the same, there
is just one in the front and one in the back.

As Walter mentioned, airflow is more of a concern here. But, these cabinets
are designed with airflow in mind. So, you'll probably be alright. For a
warm fuzzy feeling, though, you can show the specs on that web page to the
colo and see what they say about the flow of the cabinets.

1841 - rack-mount? Ewald Jenisch Cisco 1 04-11-2005 02:05 PM
What do Coil and Pinnacle refer to on a Cat 65xx? Christopher J Pilkington Cisco 1 08-21-2004 06:14 AM

Advertisments