Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Email and Blind copying

Email and Blind copying

Clive

I sent an email to a colleague at work and put in the subject line 'Private
& Confidential'.

I got a reply from this person - is there anyway looking at the email header
that would tell me that when they replied they added anyone into the Bcc
field?

Outlook 2003 is my email client

Thanks

Clive

Sebastian Gottschalk

Clive wrote:
> is there anyway looking at the email header
> that would tell me that when they replied they added anyone into the Bcc
> field?

The part of "blind carbon copy" didn't you understand?

Todd H.

"Clive" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> I sent an email to a colleague at work and put in the subject line 'Private
> & Confidential'.
>
> I got a reply from this person - is there anyway looking at the email header
> that would tell me that when they replied they added anyone into the Bcc
> field?

Nope. Not unless you have access to the logs of the sender's mail
server.

Unless you correspond with a person using public key cryptography and
ever message he sends you is signed with your public key, there isn't
much assurance. And even then, if he wanted to share it with others,
he could by showing them his screen, manually forwarding things
copy/pasted into separate emails, etc.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

Neon Knight

"Clive" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:4404736d$0$3630$(E-Mail Removed):

> I got a reply from this person - is there anyway looking at the
> email header that would tell me that when they replied they added
> anyone into the Bcc field?

Now that would defeat the whole purpose of BCC, wouldn't it?

Jason

* Sebastian Gottschalk <(E-Mail Removed)>:
> Clive wrote:
>> is there anyway looking at the email header
>> that would tell me that when they replied they added anyone into the Bcc
>> field?

> The part of "blind carbon copy" didn't you understand?

I think they have trouble with the blind part.

Jason