Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > The best anti-spyware program?

The best anti-spyware program?

John

I've had a few different freeware anti-spyware programs on my system
over the last few years. I currently have Spyware Doctor, but often
use other ones as well in case that ones misses anything, or there is
the odd thing it can't get rid of.

My question though is; what is the best program you can pay to buy for
getting rid of spyware? What is the number one program?

I took a look at the following site I found via Google:

http://www.defeatspyware.org/

And they seem to think that a program called SpywareDetector is the
best. When I go to the www.spywaredetector.us site though it is very
strange how the design of the site looks remarkably similar so that
makes me think there is a connection between the two sites and
question whether this is the best program or not? Maybe it is, but if
the original site is not impartial shouldn't they state that?

If it is the best I'd probably buy it unless anyone else in the group
can recommend other programs to take a look at?

Cheers

John

shplink

John wrote:
> I've had a few different freeware anti-spyware programs on my system
> over the last few years. I currently have Spyware Doctor, but often
> use other ones as well in case that ones misses anything, or there is
> the odd thing it can't get rid of.
>
> My question though is; what is the best program you can pay to buy for
> getting rid of spyware? What is the number one program?
>
> I took a look at the following site I found via Google:
>
> http://www.defeatspyware.org/
>
> And they seem to think that a program called SpywareDetector is the
> best. When I go to the www.spywaredetector.us site though it is very
> strange how the design of the site looks remarkably similar so that
> makes me think there is a connection between the two sites and
> question whether this is the best program or not? Maybe it is, but if
> the original site is not impartial shouldn't they state that?
>
> If it is the best I'd probably buy it unless anyone else in the group
> can recommend other programs to take a look at?
>
> Cheers
>
> John

Hey John,
You might want to consider the free stuff first. In my experience it's
the best, so far anyway. Check out the links (Appendix) in our FAQ below
my signature.

--
the alt.privacy.spyware FAQ:
http://shplink.com/misc/FAQ.htm

David H. Lipman

From: "John" <(E-Mail Removed)>

| I've had a few different freeware anti-spyware programs on my system
| over the last few years. I currently have Spyware Doctor, but often
| use other ones as well in case that ones misses anything, or there is
| the odd thing it can't get rid of.
|
| My question though is; what is the best program you can pay to buy for
| getting rid of spyware? What is the number one program?
|
| I took a look at the following site I found via Google:
|
| http://www.defeatspyware.org/
|
| And they seem to think that a program called SpywareDetector is the
| best. When I go to the www.spywaredetector.us site though it is very
| strange how the design of the site looks remarkably similar so that
| makes me think there is a connection between the two sites and
| question whether this is the best program or not? Maybe it is, but if
| the original site is not impartial shouldn't they state that?
|
| If it is the best I'd probably buy it unless anyone else in the group
| can recommend other programs to take a look at?
|
| Cheers
|
| John

Is not a good reference !!

Software listed on http://www.defeatspyware.org/ are presently listed as Rogue applications
on SpywareWarrior or have been lifted from the Rogue list.

Please check with Spyware Warrior for ALL anti spyware applications !

Note: XoftSpy was listed as a Rogue application but based upon many News Group posts I have
read, I would say that pulling it off the Rogue list was a hasty decision by Spyware
Warrior.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Quilljar

The 'best' is almost impossible to define. However I have bought and used
Counterspy for about six months now, and find it extremely effective and the
support, newsletter and follow up is personal and excellent.

Yrs Quilljar

Jbob

I think the term "Spyware" has just about reached the end of useful life.
It all really started as Adware and then sometime after the term Spyware was
added to the mix to help describe things like tracking cookies and a few
other "spying" like features. Thus became known the anti-Adware/Spyware
apps. We've has computer viruses back since the early 90's. From them were
born other sorts of nasties. Keyloggers, etc. What is a Trojan? A Worm?
Any of these can spy on you and could also be considered Spyware. Many of
todays "Freeware" Anti-Spyware apps simply are not capable of detecting the
wide variety of today's "Spyware." Even Kaspersky seems to think there is
no such thing as spyware: http://usa.kaspersky.com/threats/spyware.php
While the Spywarewarrior site rating the Anti-Spyware apps mentioned in
another post is still quite good it is now over a year old. Much has
changed in the industry.

Much of it has all been blurred now because there is so much of it out
there. Perhaps a more correct term should me "Malware." For a period most
AV apps were not considered good at detecting Trojans. For those you needed
a dedicated AT application like TDS-3, BOClean, Trojan Hunter or others.
Many of the better AV vendors are now checking for more Trojan like
activity. Some are even adding more of what they call "Anti-Spyware"
checking as well. Even BOClean, known as a VERY good AT, is also a VERYgood
Anti-Spyware app in it's own right. Depending on ones view point a good
Anti-Trojan app could be considered more of an Anti-Spyware than todays
dedicated Anti-Spyware apps.

Some people like the MS anti-spyware app which just now was released to Beta
2 and renamed as Windows Defender however both these apps while considered
good AS apps don't even come close to catching the Trojans. They are good
at monitoing system changes.

Here are some good links to some Polls for preferred apps being used taken
on DSLreports.com:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,15407882 AS Poll
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,15502317 AT Poll

It is really hard to decide a true "BEST" application. I myself wouldn't be
without BOClean. It is simply one of the best preventative tools out there.
It is an not an AV though. Even when the Sony rootkit stuff first was
published BOC already had it covered several weeks before. The WMF exploit
was coverd way in advance of it's release as well while all the AV vendors
were left scrambling. Another example of a great app is Kaspersky AV. Not
only is it argueably the best AV app but with it's extended databases it is
a great AT/AS application as well. Ewido is also a VERY capable AS app.
It is not an AV app however it does have fairly good AT qualities but I just
don't think as good as BOClean. Ewido can be run for active scanning(paid
version) or used for On Demand scanning(free).

My personal preference is to look at Trojans, Worms, etc as the worst
nasties out there now and go from there with my protection scheme. By
running BOC I have taken care of probably any Trojan infection as well as
any Spyware infections. Viruses come second. I still use the freeware to
take care of the little things like cookies, etc.

This is so subjective as to what you wish to spend and how much you wanna
run in the background for active scanning.

Jim Byrd

Hi John - You'll find some guidance relative to anti-spyware approaches -
both preventive and needed to "clean things up" in my Blog, Defending Your
Machine, addy below in my signature. Please take particular note of the
cautions about checking out any anti-spyware package being considered to
verify its efficacy and legitimacy prior to any use/purchase. Experience
seems to show that more than one anti-spyware approach seems to be needed -
some programs tend to be better at some things than at others. From my
Blog:

Run the following programs regularly; I recommend at least once a week or
immediately if you suspect that you've been infected. And MOST IMPORTANTLY,
if possible download a fresh copy for each use of the spyware tools below
for which this is specified and ALWAYS UPDATE ALL of them.

WARNING: There are a lot of purported anti-malware commercial products
available attempting to get your hard earned cash. Many of these are
"Rogue/Suspect" which means that "these products are of unknown,
questionable, or dubious value as anti-spyware protection." Eric Howes
maintains a list of these here:
http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_...e.htm#products. To quote him:
"Some of the products listed on this page simply do not provide proven,
reliable anti-spyware protection or may be prone to ridiculous false
positives. Others may use unfair, deceptive, high pressure sales tactics to
scare up sales from gullible, confused users. A very few of these products
are either associated with known distributors of spyware/adware or have been
known to install spyware/adware themselves." This site also maintains a
feature comparison list for the better known anti-spyware products, both
free and paid here: http://spywarewarrior.com/asw-features.htm as well as a
list of "trustworthy" products here:
http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_...tm#trustworthy. I highly
recommend this site.

All of the software mentioned in this Blog is free.

Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP/DTS/AH-VSOP
My Blog, Defending Your Machine, here:
http://DefendingYourMachine.blogspot.com/

news:(E-Mail Removed)
> I've had a few different freeware anti-spyware programs on my system
> over the last few years. I currently have Spyware Doctor, but often
> use other ones as well in case that ones misses anything, or there is
> the odd thing it can't get rid of.
>
> My question though is; what is the best program you can pay to buy for
> getting rid of spyware? What is the number one program?
>
> I took a look at the following site I found via Google:
>
> http://www.defeatspyware.org/
>
> And they seem to think that a program called SpywareDetector is the
> best. When I go to the www.spywaredetector.us site though it is very
> strange how the design of the site looks remarkably similar so that
> makes me think there is a connection between the two sites and
> question whether this is the best program or not? Maybe it is, but if
> the original site is not impartial shouldn't they state that?
>
> If it is the best I'd probably buy it unless anyone else in the group
> can recommend other programs to take a look at?
>
> Cheers
>
> John

blackhat

Adaware isn't bad and it's free